“Great Hotel to Enjoy the Magic of Lake Como”
Review of Hotel Florence

and 1 more site!
Hotel Florence
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hotel Florence is in the heart of Bellagio, surrounded by shops, restaurants and of course Lake Como. It is a vintage and historic place that dates to the 1920s. The rooms are well kept and also very clean and neat.
But the views from the room's balcony are breathtaking. How could one not fall in love with such a place. A single word sums up the feeling and ambiance of this place: Idyllic.
As you look out over the lake you see the mountains that are the border with Switzerland. In the evening they are usually capped with clouds, and in the morning the fog can be seen lifting slowly from their tops.
Many fine restaurants in Bellagio. A favorite that we went to two of the three nights we stayed was Ristorante Bilacus. We strongly recommend the veal scallopine con funghi. It actually tasted better the second time!
The ferry service is great for visiting the various towns nearby. Some are not touristy like Bellagio, but have their own unique character. And being there in October was great because there were not many tourists as during the summer months.
We loved our stay and would definitely return again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Florence, Bellagio. We booked a Junior Suite. Our room was of a good size, on the third floor, overlooking Lake Como. We had a corner room (room 26) having a wrap around balcony and a great view of Lake Como with lots of natural light. We stayed for three nights in early September. It was quite hot at this time of the year.

As there was no air conditioning in our room, we opened our floor to ceiling doors and the breeze cooled our room. At night, when the doors/windows were closed, it was cool enough to sleep without using the portable fan that was provided. Closing the doors/windows shut out most of the outside noise because the soundproofing was very good, and we slept well. I loved the firm mattress, good linen and pillows.

My only complaint was that the shower in our room was of the hand held design just above the bath. There was no way of fixing it to the wall, meaning that you could not ever stand under a shower. This was an issue for me and I have longish hair that I wash every day. I have had four operations on my shoulders, and a chronic back complaint, so washing my hair was a bit of an ordeal. The situation was exacerbated by having no shower screen. Whilst showering, I had to be mindful all the time of not spraying the whole bathroom and its contents.

My husband and I decided to lounge by a swimming pool for an afternoon as we were exhausted from our 24 hours plus continuous journey from Australia. The Hotel Florence does not have its own pool, so we researched some options. We could have spent time getting to the Sports Club (about 20-30 mins) up the hill for Euro 15 each, but instead, we splurged and spent Euro 60 each and lounged at Hotel Villa Serbelloni (across the road from Hotel Florence) for an afternoon. This entitled us to use their Spa facilities where I could shower and wash my hair, so this solved the shower problem for one day at least.

Later, after our short visit swimming at the acclaimed Hotel Villa Serbelloni, I could not help thinking how much better value and friendlier Hotel Florence was in comparison.

Paolo (and others) at reception Hotel Florence were very helpful about everything. In the breakfast dining room, Georgia was charming and the room had a fabulous aesthetic and ambience. The highlight of the breakfast menu was the locally made yogurt.

On our first night, we dined at Hotel Florence's Terrace Restaurant on the water's edge, across the road from the hotel and that was most enjoyable. The next night we ate at La Punta which was a short walk from the Hotel. The setting there was lovely too, but the food was not as good as we would have expected.

In summary, Hotel Florence, Bellagio was centrally located, clean and good value. Their hospitality was very welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Lake Como
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our initial stay in 2010 was wonderful but we decided to try something different this time and booked at the Hotel Britannia in Griante on the other side of the lake. That hotel is a disaster and couldn't be a greater contrast to Hotel Florence. We immediately purchased a six day pass for the ferry and spent most of our time in Bellagio and ate at the Hotel Florence restaurant on a regular basis. In the end we jumped ship, forgoing our last night at the Britannia, and booked our last night in Italy at Hotel Florence hoping to end our Italian holiday on a high. We were not disappointed. The spacious room was gorgeous and had a huge terrace overlooking the lake. I can't stress enough just how good the staff are and what a lovely ambience exists throughout the hotel. We will be returning in 2015 to Hotel Florence, hopefully to see some familiar faces and to once again soak up the best of Italy.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Clean, cheerful, next to everything, what else could you want? Well the weather was great for us too in early September. Over three days we had warm and sunny then an awesome storm on the last night with continual thunder and lightning and torrential rain. The room, 48, looked out over a garden courtyard and up the narrow Via to pastel houses with capped chimneys always providing individuality. Service was happy and fun in the older style interior. The lounge chairs in differing pastels looked funky and were comfortable. The bar kept us plied while writing up our journals and emails during that storm. Breakfast buffet covered most tastes and the freshly diced fruit salad with local dairy farm yoghurt is just the best you can get. A top spot at fair value to check out out one of the loveliest places in the world.

Room Tip: Find the Walking Guides to Bellagio and suburbs, have coffee at Loppio thru Melzi Gardens. Please m...
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hotel Florence has one of the premium locations on the foreshore of Bellagio, it doesn't get better. The service was great, the owners go out of their way to help. They were particularly good in helping with useful instructions, recommendations, bookings and tips about parking.
The rooms were a reasonable size.
My only negative comment about our room was that the bathroom had a bath, no shower. There was a shower head on a hose connected to the bath tap, but no where to hang the shower head, and no shower curtain. I am not usually a fan of baths (I feel as if I am soaking in my own dirt and perhaps other peoples dirt).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights and can't say enlightened great things about Hotel Florence. The rooms are large and comfortable. The staff is fantastic and can't do enough for their guests. Their restaurant is across the street shaded by trees on the bank of the river. The food was delicious as was the service. The view of the lake and the Italian Alps is breathtaking . Convenient , quiet, relaxing hotel. A definite must to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our night here. The staff were friendly and helped us with some travel questions. Very personable. Remembered our names and inquired how their suggestions worked out. The restaurant is lovely on a beautiful part of the lake. I enjoyed my dinner so much I made a special request to the chef to repeat it at lunch. Rooms were clean Breakfast was also delicious and elegantly served. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple