“Very nice stay in June 2012”
Review of La Pergola

La Pergola
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband, 11 year old daughter and I stayed here several nights in June at the beginning of a three week family vacation. We thought the hotel was lovely--gorgeous and quiet location on the water, simple and very clean rooms, good breakfasts and the wonderful pergola covered restaurant. The owners stuck to themselves (which was fine with us) but were pleasant including getting up at 2:30 AM to welcome us and assist with luggage after a missed connection delayed our arrival. My family and I all agreed that we far preferred staying in Pescallo and thought the 10 minute walk over the hill to Bellagio was beautiful and enjoyable. If you are into a large fancy hotel experience this is not your spot. If you're looking for a small, charming inn with character (the good kind) in a breathtaking waterfront setting then I think you can't go wrong at Hotel La Pergola!

Room Tip: Get a room with a water view....it's worth the extra Euros. We had a nice sized triple room look...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank McThree
There are newer reviews for La Pergola

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had seen this hotel featured on a travel show some years ago and took note of it to stay if we ever got to travel to Lake Como. We were delighted with the location, right on the Lake. We had a great room overlooking the Lake. Although its on the opposite side of Bellagio away from the main town, it is easily accessible (approximately 10 - 15 minute walk), but uphill steps most of the way. It was a little bit of a challenge carrying luggage up three flights of stairs.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the Lake is a must
2  Thank Pam and Dennis C
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is on the quiet side of Bellagio. Great views of the mountains and as close to the lake as is possible to build. There is parking outside and the hotel was well signposted. The town is a ten minute walk but most of that is a long series of gentle steps. Not an easy journey for those with difficulty walking. The hotel is an old building with lots of dark period furniture to match. There is no lift and there was no offer of help with the suitcases. We had a room with a balcony opening out to the lake and this was stunning. The food in the restaurant was nice and prices reasonable. The family that run this hotel and restaurant seem to make no effort to connect with their guests, everything that needs to be done is done, but don’t expect extra. We get more connection from the servers at the local Chiquitos than we got here. This was in stark contrast to our next hotel, the Hotel Royal at Stresa.
The walk through the Villa Serbelloni estate was well worth it for the views, landscaped gardens and an interesting history of Bellagio. Renting a canoe from just outside the hotel was a pleasant way to spend some time on the lake. Don’t miss a ferry over to Villa Carlotta, hard to decide which was best, the gardens or the interiors!

Room Tip: Book a lake view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mikehoward13
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I read some the reviews from other reviewers after I had booked this hotel - and didn't heed them. Big mistake! This hotel have the rudest, most disinterested management I have ever encountered.

We book this hotel as the start of a journey around the Italian lakes, and it was the only disappointment during our holiday.

I knew wemight arrive slightly late (9.30pm or so), so I emailed ahead. I got a charming email back (the only time anyone in this establishment was charming) to say that was not a problem. We did arrive around 9.30 as predicted, and were met by two middle-aged men on reception. One just sat there and said nothing (just stared at us), and the other was very clipped. Far from a welcome for travellers who had clearly come a long way, they just demanded both passports. When I asked if we could eat, I was told the kitchen closed at 9pm. I therefore asked if it was poosible just to have some bread,cheese, and wine. Very begrudgingly we were told that might be possible (but not where we coukld have it). After dropping our bags in a relatively sdpacious, older style room, we can dowm to the pretty terrace. The man from reception ignored us to begin with (simply smoking and chating to diners who had finished). Eventually the waitress said something to him, he grunted, and eventually 'pannis' arrived (stale bread, disgustiing cooking cheese) and some awful white wine.

Next day breakfast was no better. We went into Bellagio (which is beautiful)t for the day, and returned to a greeting of 'Oh hello. How was your day etc?'. No. Simply a statement that local tax was extra (2 Euros per night), and must be paid NOW!

As this is a family owned and run establishment, which is in a pretty, quiet little harbour, with a lovely little terrace, we cannot understand why the management is so hostile.

Avoid this place!!

2  Thank harbottle
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We spent 3 nights at La Pergola in August. The night before we left for Italy, we read through a number of reviews complaining about the service and needless to say, weren't expecting much in this respect. However, I have to say our experience was absolutely fine. The staff weren't the type to chat, but we didn't necessarily need this as part of our holiday. They were polite, efficient and most importantly for us, we had a lovely room with beautiful views of the lake. Definitely worth asking for a lake view room. There is a 10 to 15 minute walk up hill to Bellagio, but to be honest, we liked being away from the main town and in a little village most visitors wouldn't get to see.

Room Tip: Go for a lake view room.
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Such a pity that the picturesque location is the only positive thing about this hotel. Perhaps the family who run the hotel were experiencing some personal problems, in which case that could mitigate in their favour, HOWEVER, it would be nice to be made welcome, to see a smile or hear a kind word. There's a sign in the bedroom with the word "welcome" on it, but that's not how we were ever made to feel. We christened the couple Mr and Mrs Grumpy and tried to laugh it off but there is no excusing their attitude. And re. the breakfast, REAL fruit juice not some kind of cordial would be better, also fresh fruit, not tinned pineapple. For the same price in Stresa we were treated with kindness and enjoyed a fantastic breakfast buffet. I wish I had read the other (numerous) unfavourable comments and chosen an alternative hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank C0nstantgardener
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at La Pergola one night because we attended to a wedding in the Bellagio are and wanted a place to stay one night to be able to explore the lake the day after the wedding. Although the hotel is located on a beautiful spot right on the lake and the structure is relatively antique and well maintained, the exceptional rudeness of the management makes it an unworthy place to stay unless you want to (i) get into fights with management and (ii) reward people who should not be in the hospitality business. I read reviews on management's rudeness before booking and thought I would not care if the place was nice but the following two episodes made me change my mind, now I think that unless there's a change in management I would never go back to this place and would discourage anyone from staying there.

Episode #1

We got there to check in at around 6.30PM and mentioned to the receptionist that we may get back on the late side since we were headed to a wedding reception and asked how we would do to get in (i.e. whether they could give us a key to the front door or there was a 24h doorman). The receptionist very angrily replied that "it was not a 5 star hotel and they did not have night coverage". We were baffled by the rudeness of the tone and kindly asked how we could get into the hotel and he replied "You need to let me know at what time you will be back because unfortunately I will have to stay awake and wait for you to let you in". We told him around midnight and that's about the time we got back and he let us in, however his tone and attitude were totally unacceptable.

Episode #2

We booked a room with "superior lake view" and paid extra for such qualification. The room we were assigned was nicely decorated, however had a balcony mostly overlooking the parking lot (and only a very partial and remote view of the lake). While checking out we noted to the receptionist (different from the one involved in Episode #1 above) that the room we were being charged extra for was not exactly "lake view" but rather "parking lot view" and the following conversation followed:

RECEPTIONIST: You do have a view of the lake, if you don't like it next time you can stay in the main village

US: if that's your conception of "lake view" and have the courage to make someone pay extra for it so be it but you should know that's a very misleading advertising for such a room

RECEPTIONIST: whatever, and by the way, for the next time, check out is at 11 AM [it was 11.15AM when we were having this conversation]

US: thanks but there will be no "next time"

RECEPTIONIST [yelling]: I very much hope so!!!

** ** **

Again, location is lovely but not worth it because of management. All reviews are consistent on this point. Please please do not reward people who should not be in the hospitality business. There are plenty of other beautiful spots in the area where I am sure management will be better (it's hard to think it can be worse that this one).

Room Tip: Do not ask for "superior lake view" as they will give you a parking lot view room and char...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple