“Relaxation on the Water” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Roma 1, 22021 Bellagio, Italy   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Bellagio
Orange County, CA
“Relaxation on the Water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We visited the Hotel Villa Serbelloni in the end of September 2013. Our first impression of the Serbelloni was the wonderful bellman/doorman who greeted us, by name, with a big welcome! After a hectic week in Paris the week prior to our visit, it was wonderful to sit by the pool or on the chaises overlooking the lake and decompress. Drinks in the outdoor bar were a highlight and the service was very relaxed, but on point. The only available rooms for our stay were garden rooms...I would recommend the lake front rooms if they are available. The church bell tower was very close to all three of our rooms and woke us up very early every morning. We also heard deliveries or trash pick up in the wee hours of the morning. We did however spend very little time in the room and the location of the hotel far outweighed the quality of our room. Bellagio is a beautiful town with many shops and restaurants located within cobble stoned streets. We had considered staying in a lake front room at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo but decided the location of Bellagio was where we wanted to be. I am so glad we did! Breakfast was nothing remarkable, but it suited our needs. The concierge gave us great dinner recommendations to restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. One afternoon, we booked a boat tour with Bellagio Water Taxis and couldn't have been happier. Jennine was FABULOUS to schedule us and Luca gave us a wonderful tour of the lake.
We had beautiful weather in late September and I would not hestiate to go back to the Villa Serbelloni in the future.

Room Tip: Splurge on the lake front rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank susiegio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was lucky to spend some summer holidays at the Grand Hotel Villa serbelloni when I was a child and they are to date my fondest memories. I actually learnt to swim in the lake when I was 6. I remember the fantastic food in the different restaurants, the Italian feel and the great service from staff, from reception to chamber maids. My favorite staff member were the barman and the piano player in the lounge, they know how to cater for kids and adults alike. It has an old charm and it is not your typical 5 star hotel (Hilton for ex) but you cannot find this type of beauty anywhere else. I would love to go back but the prices have increased drastically since I was a child, maybe in about 10 years time I could afford it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Budapest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the very end of the season - late October - and enjoyed it greatly. Close family involvement in the management over four generations really shows, this is no chain hotel. The splendid grotto-style indoor pool was great for the children after long days sightseeing, while the dinner we had in the Golletta restaurant, apparently the less formal of their two restaurants (it is decorated like the interior of an old classic yacht, with one end looking over the lake) was the best we had in Bellagio. Our room was comfortable and nicely done, also with stunning views over the lake, the hotel's setting is amazing. On the steep mountainside opposite, apparently inaccessible between faces of sheer rock, is a tiny chapel, S. Martino; we took the ferry over (to Cadenabbia) and hiked up there, well worth it, the views are spectacular. And the hotel's little diving board on a platform in the lake - where the hotel has private bathing, as well as its pools - made us want to return in the summer. Well my wife in particular, she plans to be the shingle-haired beauty in the one piece bathing suit in the 1930s posters.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank tombrompton
ghvs, Manager at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
Yes, the hotel is privately owned, no chain, and this shows the great involvement of the family in the running of the business. The Goletta restaurant is the less formal, nevertheless menu are orchestrated by the same Michelin star chef as the formal Mistral restaurant.
I’m glad you enjoyed the hikes on the mountains as well as the Hotel swimming pool.
Now you have to come back next summer to try out the diving board in the lake !!!
Arrivederci
East Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Hotel itself is stunning with magnificent views. The staff, especially the concierge, was very professional and knowledgeable. Our standard room was fitted with a bright large bathroom and luscious linens on the bed. The complementary breakfast was served in a breathtaking ballroom and included a bountiful buffet of fresh fruits, breads, eggs, and all the accompaniments. Our only disappointment with the hotel was that their policy is to shut down the air conditioning in mid September. While it was not hot, certain days were warm and while getting ready for dinner, AC would have been helpful.

Room Tip: If going in September, check when AC is shut down.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your positive comments.
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the location, the staff, room and breakfast in the breathtaking ballroom.
Unfortunately, in mid-season we get caught in between AC and central heating.
I hope it did not cause you too much inconvenience.
See you soon in Bellagio
Arrivederci!!!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Grand is just the price you have to pay for everything. Admittedly, the location is one of the finest on the lake and Bellagio itself is quite charming, but the hotel as well as the staff are stuffy and unfriendly. There are many better options and the hotel could really use a total make over.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms are really "cheap"! No view, nothing. Yet cheap is relative, if you pay...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Shoggi
Cost is relative when you pay to be in an antique villa located on Lake Como, in the charming village of Bellagio. Perhaps it would be helpful to mention that in the price there are lots of services you benefit from: a fully equipped fitness center with sauna, steam bath, squash, 2 swimming pools, a Spa, two high class restaurants, bars, concierge service, live trio every night, breakfast, garage, parking….
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights at the end of our two week trip to Italy, and chose this hotel to spend our 10th anniversary together. We could not have been happier with our stay at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni.

I had emailed the hotel a few times prior to our stay, just letting them know that one of the days during our stay would be our anniversary. I asked the hotel if they could provide any recommendations for places to eat or activities for our anniversary, and they provided a few. When we finally arrived at the hotel for check-in on October 9th, the front desk informed us that they had upgraded us to a suite! Wow! The suite was Room 104, and had an amazing balcony that had a perfect view of Lake Como and the surrounding mountains. Incredible!

I previously read some of the negative reviews about this hotel. I have to say I don't quite understand them. We thought the breakfast was very good. I guess if you are not happy with a breakfast that includes scrambled eggs, bacon (American style), breads, cheeses, cereals, vegetables, fruits, yogurt, multiple desserts...and decide to order something off the menu, you should expect its going to cost you. The food/drink options at the hotel are not cheap, but I doubt they are at most other hotels of this type. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, so I can't provide recommendations/feedback on lunch/dinner options.

In terms of the decor...this hotel is like something out of Downton Abbey. Its not what I am used to but I had no complaints whatsoever. It was very nice and everything was comfortable.

The view from this hotel is amazing. The hotel is right on the edge of the lake and provides amazing views of the surrounding mountains anywhere you look. I don't know that I have ever stayed at a hotel that had views better than this.

Another thing we enjoyed about the hotel was the live music. Between 8-12pm every night, there is a band (violin, piano, bass) that performs in the lounge. The violinist must be classicly trained...they were absolutely amazing. The only regret my wife and I had was that this band did not have a CD of some sort that we could purchase to take home with us. They were incredible.

The front desk and concierge were also very helpful with restaurant recommendations as well as requests for things to do (Varenna, etc). I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Bellagio.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ghvs, Manager at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and, again, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the location, the Hotel services, concierge , musicians and breakfast.
Since people never say what they don’t like about the breakfast it is difficult for me also to figure out what is missing.
Hope to see you again in Bellagio
Arrivederci !!!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We'd planned to tour the lake areas, but when we arrived at Bellagio, we realized that there was little point: we were at the best place on the lake!

With a choice of restaurants, pools and bars, we were able to fully relax and enjoy the town, lake boats and luckily the sunshine too.

Let's not forget that this is a 5* hotel so the prices are similar! However, nothing is cheap in & around lake Como. A nice added touch was a visit from the local car club - waking up to see & hear 15+ Ferrari's drive off was a grand site fit for the hotel!

Only downside was breakfast - quite ordinary with a limited a la cate offering.

Room Tip: Ask for room 253 - it has a massive private balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us .
Since you like Ferrari you might be interested to know that, as of last week, we have been appointed by Erba Ferrari Club as official “ Bellagio Delegation ". We are likely to see more Ferrari in future.

Arrivederci !!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Hotel Bellagio
Hotel Bellagio
#4 of 17 in Bellagio
4.5 of 5 stars 630 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni? Share your experiences!