I was planning to take my girlfriend to Lake Como and after a lot of research, I realised that a vast majority of hotels in that area simply live from their location and were overdue for a refurbishment since about 1980. The Villa d'Este was too expensive and everything else had this old, tired look. Not that I don't like traditional decor, but there's a big difference between old and traditional. But between cool modern design and flowery wallpaper I will always pick the former.
So, eventually I ended up on tripadvisor and saw Borgo le Terrazze. I was quite worried as the rates seemed too cheap, but with a lack of alternatives I went ahead and booked it. When we arrived we were both very surprised. The first thing I always do in hotels is check out the bathroom. Limestone, top modern walk-in shower, top appliances. The room was a perfect size, even though Ionly managed to get a normal room at the time of booking. Ceiling to floor windows with a breathtaking view straight onto Lake Como. A little kitchen, flat screen TV, all in all simple but modern decor. Apart from the slightly naff curtains, the place could easily be in some Hip Hotel guide.
Then they have an amazing pool with an even more amazing view. The requirement of a deposit for a pool towel was slightly annoying, but in line with the no frills approach of the place. The staff was very friendly and helpful; clearly a small family run business. Underground parking is free (good luck trying to find any parking space in and around Bellagio!).
Given all of the above and taking into consideration the room rates, this place is simply amazing value for money. I really hope it will stay that way, as we're definitely planning to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel and Residence Borgo Le Terrazze is located in Bellagio, Lake Como, on a hill which faces the Lake. Landscape is beautiful and relaxing, all rooms and apartments enjoy charming views onto Lake Como. Privacy and a quiet atmosphere come first, outdoors infinity swimming pool, indoors garage, wi fi and shuttle service to and from downtown do help to make your stay here relaxing and far from the crowds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Borgo Le Terrazze reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Borgo Le Terrazze Hotel Bellagio
- Borgo Le Terrazze Bellagio, Italy - Lake Como