All reviews great location violin museum no matter bars and restaurants working order italian hotels adjacent rooms around the corner third floor basic hotel fruit juice bread stay there again square reception duomo weekends
Selected filters
Reviewed April 1, 2019 via mobile

Fabulous location near to shops, bars and restaurants. The noise outside didn’t bother me. The staff were very friendly at reception and especially at breakfast. The hotel facilities were basic-fine for a business trip but not for a holiday.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2019

Location: a+....2 minutes to Duomo, 2 minutes to the violin museum
Service: very friendly front desk..... okay for a limited service hotel
Breakfast: adequate....not great, not bad..chat up the staff person and you can improve the experience
Front desk: very friendly...but only 1 person, so you may have to be patient
Room amenities: basic...no robes, no plush towels, no body lotions...but all the basics
Rooms: basic proofing......windows, not great. Door....poor, any noise in the hallway transmits into the rooms; walls...paper thin...you can hear people urinating or .??? In the adjacent rooms or the room above/below. Pray for quiet neighbors with good bladders and good manners who are tired and go to bed early.
Rooms temperature control....okay
Hotel decor: basic, neutral......no sense of place and not warm, welcoming

The big plus of this hotel is its location....really great.....and the fact that the price fits the level of finishes/service. It is a budget hotel that delivers a budget+ experience.

Room tips: 4th floor (no one walkingoverhead), back or front of hotel (less corridor noise), deluxe room (more space, better bathroom).

Warning: On thursday, Friday or Saturday night be prepared for noise from the piazza in front of the hotel where there are 3 or 4 bars........the noise abates about 3 in the morning.

Room tip: 4th/top floor...rear of building on weekend due to noise. Upgrade to deluxe room....more space, better bathroom.
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank attillathehun
Reviewed September 18, 2018

The hotel Impero is located in the very heart of Cremona and that was my primary reason for booking the hotel. However, it could be the reason why you don’t.

If you are a light sleeper then the noise from the busy Piazza della Pace may be a deal breaker - especially weekends. Did we find it a problem? Well no, as both me and my wife are not particularly light sleepers but I have to be honest and say that my wife broke out her “emergency ear-plugs”, (usually deployed in response to my snoring). I had no problems with regards to noise, (thank you wine).

The hotel itself is beginning to look a little “tired” in places. Saying that, everything in our room was functional and comfortable. All the staff were very helpful, especially when my room wi-fi failed to connect. It uses a login based on your specific room number, allied to an individual password and no matter what - all my devices resolutely refused to connect. I called reception and got the usual - rather patronising - basic advice. I’m not what you could call a “technical illiterate”. So reception promised to send someone up. However, we were eager to get out and explore, so I took my tablet down to reception. The problem, (according to the desk), was that the previous guest had not “logged out”. Why that should be a problem is anyone’s guess. The situation was rescued by reception giving me the login details for an unoccupied room - until my own room login was available. That worked and the next day, my original room login was operational.

There is little the hotel can do about external noise. It’s a matter of preference but I’d trade a little noise, for the location enjoyed by the Impero - any day. One thing that really does let the hotel down is the breakfast. Like most Italian hotels, the coffee was terrible - even when made for you personally. The “hot” water was simply lukewarm, rendering tea making a virtual impossibility. The “fruit juice” was dispensed by a machine and was pretty poor quality. There was some decent sliced cheese, salami and ham and the most tasteless “Brie” I have ever eaten.

The most hilarious thing, (and it was viewed humorously by every guest), was the “toaster”, or to be more precise - the bread dessicator. A large, very flashy looking stainless-steel box contained a couple of racks and some kind of “tongs” to hold the bread. The clockwork timer energised the heating element, the kind that you find in a modern electric-fire. This element fired-up...and glowed red but resolutely refused to brown the bread - no matter how long you waited. One morning, determined not to be beaten, I left the sliced white bread in for what must have been fifteen minutes. In the end, a narrow stripe on the bread took on a very light-beige colour. Not that it did any good, as the bread had been under the element for so long, it had dried to a “biscuit”. When I attempted to apply butter, it disintegrated into bone-dry crumbs. You can pick up a household four slice toaster for very little outlay, so why waste money on this impressive looking but utterly useless “thing”?

You could ask for some freshly prepared scrambled eggs but we only discovered this on our last morning, after hearing another guest request some. Oh and one final thing, the breakfast room is pretty gloomy. Taking breakfast in the Stygian gloom, wasn’t particularly pleasant. The cafe’s that surround the hotel did good business though.

Now if this all sounds as if I didn’t like the Impero, that would not be the case. Unlike some other hotels on this trip, they provided a room when my wife and I arrived a couple of hours earlier than scheduled and the hotel did provide very good value for money - in my opinion at least. I would avoid it, only if you are particularly sensitive to street noise.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

We are touring by bike and this hotel was extremely easy to find. The staff allowed us to store our bikes before we checked in. They gave us lunch suggestions which were good. Then they oriented us to the city. Cremona is so walkable and everything is close to the hotel. The room is a good size. Wifi works well. The AC is quiet. We were on the 4th floor facing the square, it was quiet on Saturday night. My only issue is the half wall in the tub which is supposed to contain the shower spray. Note to bathroom designers this does NOT work.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank roadieplanner
Reviewed August 24, 2018

I've chosen this hotel because of its location. Hotel is situated in the full center city w/ o garage. Old building with rooms.in old style .. a bit used. There was dust in the room Breakfast is middle quality. Staff is kind . .we only met 1 people with "keep smiling" ... Price is acceptable.

Room tip: avoid street view
Date of stay: August 2018