“CREDIT CARD DEPOSIT-AN ODIOUS PRACTICE” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Bergamo Palazzo Dolci

Mercure Bergamo Palazzo Dolci
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
Taipei
“CREDIT CARD DEPOSIT-AN ODIOUS PRACTICE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Pleasant staff,good breakfast,good location,nice bed.

Light fitting hanging out of the ceiling in the bathroom,poor Internet.

I was asked to give a 90 Euro deposit from my Credit Card and was told (after enquiring that I would not be getting a receipt).When I came to check-out the clerk on the desk could not operate te system and I was told that her colleague world do the refund when he came in.Despite two emails to the hotel asking for confirmation of the return of my deposit I have so far not received a reply .I work for a major Corporation and my Company places personnel in this hotel.I will ensure that this no longer occurs.If necessary I will take legal action against this hotel for the return of MY money.I will check my Credit card statemnt when I return to England this week and it is in the interests of all concerned for so the un-neccessary deposit to have been credited back to me.For the record the minibar contains only water and I had to tell the Clerk that I had consumed one bottle and had three breakfasts.........

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed one night here - it's close to the train station and about 15/20 mins walk to the funicular that takes you to the stunning old town.

It's a chain hotel so you don't get the personal touches - we found the room a little dark but overalll it was fine and clean.

There's a couple of great places for breakfast a short stroll into town - our favourite was
Mille storie e sapori - great coffee and pastries.

There's also a Spar shop just under the hotel if you fancy a drink in the room and don't want to pay mini bar prices.

Would highly recommend a day / night in Bergamo - it's a lovely town and SO much cheaper than Milan.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for one night before flying from Orio Al Serio airport at the end of our holiday. The hotel is modern and well situated in the newer part of town; the funicular railway station was less than half and hour's walk away and the airport was about 15 minutes by taxi - reception booked this for us in the morning at a fixed rate of 16 euros. On the day we arrived we dropped off our hire car at the airport before flagging down a taxi to the hotel and that cost us 20 euros, so the hotel rate is reasonable. We then discovered there was an Avis car hire office right next to the hotel so we could have planned that better!

We decided to book a room that included breakfast because it worked out only 50 cents more than the rate without breakfast on the site we booked through. It was pretty average; buffet style breakfast with a reasonable selection of hot and cold food available from 7am. We had booked 3 rooms, all of which were clean, modern and had balconies. We did have trouble sleeping because of some teenagers running around late at night, but this wasn't the fault of the hotel. The staff were polite but formal rather than friendly. Our visit to Bergamo was little more than a stop-over before our flight, but it's a beautiful place, especially the old town. Overall given the price we paid and the location, I would stay here again especially when flying to/from Bergamo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Flensburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed there for one night at the end of March 2013. The hotel is located between the train and bus stations and the Porta Nueva, both are only a few blocks away and you can see them when you step out the hotel door. My room was at the top floor (4th) right under the roof. Apart from the weird shape of the room and the none existant view it had all you need. A cosy bed, flatscreen TV, bath tub, mini bar and a hair dryer that I could use to dry my clothes after a rainy day in Bergamo. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was good, too. A wide choice of bread, rolls, croissants, cerials etc. The regular rates at the registration seemed to be pretty high though, I guess I was lucky that I got a special rate when I booked online. Overall a good choice though, I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Well nothing much to add to the title. Easy access by the train station and a short walk into the main streets of downtown Bergamo. Free wifi, quite fast, boring rooms but clean and functional, service ok, the sort of place that you sleep ok in but cannot recall its name two days later. Anonymous but innocuous and inoffensive. Fine for a one night whatever !

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel is located near train and bus stations. There is good tourist info building on the way to the stations.
Spar-market is just few meters away. Funicular to old town is about 1 km by the main road.
Excellent Taverna la Valtellinese just few blocks from the hotel.
Breakfast was all right. It just need better bread and more fresh fruits and vegetables. But generally it has a good selection. They had different cake every morning, witch was nice.
Room was quite small but cosy. I felt that it needed more light. Bathroom was very good and spotless.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Very high quality for the price, helpful staff, walking distance from the train station, not far from the airport Orio al Serio, elegant venue, clean, nice and comfortable rooms, good and rich breakfast if included. I couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple