“Short holiday”
Review of Arli Hotel

Arli Hotel
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was our first trip to Bergamo and did not know the area at all. After reading various TripAdvisor reviews we decided to try the Arli Hotel mainly because of the central location. We were not disappointed. The hotel is very clean and modern. The room we stayed in, number 312, was spacious with a large comfortable bed. There was no balcony but we were not expecting one as we have never stayed at a city hotel in Italy which had a balcony. The bathroom was ultra modern with all conveniences bath, shower, bidet etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful and all spoke English. We enjoyed the normal continental buffet breakfast which had a good selection. We had one evening meal in the hotel which was delicious and beautifully presented and not too expensive. There was a good selection of wines. The only disappointment for us was in the bar. There were no blended whisky's and only a small selection of single malt and most of the bottles were almost empty. We would stay there again as the location was excellent. We found Bergamo a very nice city, the lower town with shops and plenty of places to eat and the upper town reached by funicular was very interesting with good views.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2012

The biggest adventage of this hotel is its location, rooms are nice with very good equipped bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We've chosen this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and there was nothing we didn't like. We had room 102, which was facing to the back and there was therefore no street noise (nor an interesting view, but that was of no importance for us). The room was biggish and perfectly clean, probably not recently refurbished but didn’t feel worn at all. The king bed was comfy with multiple pillows to choose from. More importantly the bathroom looked quite new and modern. Everything was in perfect working order.

All the members of the staff we’ve met were willing and able to help. The breakfast buffet wasn’t fancy, but had good selection, more than adequate.

The hotel is centrally located in the lower city, a few steps away from the pedestrian zone and maybe 10 minutes walk from the central railway station. The public bus route No. 1 has a stop within 1 minute’s walk and gives you direct access to the airport, the central railway station or to the upper city. However be vary that route No. 1 has quite some variations (1A, 1B, 1C – maybe even more), so check which one you need to take. One ride costs 2 Euros, but we’ve had 24-hour tickets (Airport bus Giornaliero) for 4,50 Euros, which we bought at the City Information office at the airport. You have to stamp it once and then it’s valid until the same time following day, including one return trip from the airport and unlimited travel on all urban area lines including both funiculars.

We’ll probably stay here next time around, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the backyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

All the positive reviews about this hotel are correct as I found out over the w/end in March of the Bergamo jazz festival. Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andy G
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Bergamo. It was nice to receive a cocktail voucher at arrival. Receptionist (in the afternoon) was professional and spoke fluent English (I travelled with an English speaking guest). Rooms are big enough with all normal amenities you'd expect from this type of hotel. Their secure parking lot is quite handy. Also the location is very good: easy to reach by car and close to Citta' Alta. Food at the restaurant is good too and there's a good choice of wines kept at the perfect temperature.

The negatives: At night I realised that the heating was on and the room was way too hot. When I went downstairs at around 7 pm I asked the lady at reception (by this time a different one) to kindly turn it off, since the knob controlling the switch in my room was broken. She said "Ok". Guess what: that night I woke up at 3 am feeling all sweaty and sick. I called reception and I was told by a male staff that the heater had NOT been turned off as I had requested. Please 7 pm receptionist, LISTEN when people are talking to you (I am Italian mother tongue by the way so you can't even say she didn't understand English).

I have never, never stayed at a hotel that doesn't supply an iron, either in the rooms or if asked. I had a business meeting and coming from a plane my suit was all crushed and needed ironing. With 50 minutes to go I started looking for the iron in the room; not there. Called reception; "we don't have irons in this hotel but have a laundry service". In disbelief I had to force the poor waitress to iron 6 pieces of clothing (there were two of us) in 15 minutes. 25 euros later my clothes looked only a bit better than before, but I don't blame the lady that ironed them, she couldn't have done anything better in the time she had. I blame this hotel management for not supplying an iron to their guests!!

Finally breakfast buffet selection is satisfactory but cappuccino is really bad (I suppose it's because of their coffee machine or the type of coffee they use, how else can you make bad cappuccinos in Italy??) and coffee is served almost cold. When I asked the waitress to make another one please because it wasn't hot she replied all pi..ed off: "it's not possible, I have just made it!!". Dear waitress, I didn't ask when you made it or who made it, I simply said "it's cold", could you just make another one without that attitude? And another one was made, tepid of course...

In conclusion I will probably stay here again but management should tweak some things in my opinion.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PipMas
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for convenience and price just before christmas hoping to find a good christmas market and just chill for 3 days. The hotel was easy to find and no need for a taxi from the main train station or bus terminal. Unfortunately the xmas market was disappointing but the hotel was really nice and for the chill element of our stay it ticked all the boxes. We arrived to the hotel at about noon and were given our room as it was ready so that was just brilliant as we had a 4.30 am start to the day to catch the flight. First impressions for the hotel were great. Small but tidy and very nice and helpful staff on reception. Our room was a fine size but a little dated. Bathroom was spotless with an array of toiletries i have yet to find anywhere else. Old tv but hey whose complaining. I really believe that with a modest enough budget this hotel could be modernized and would be a lot more appealing for return visitors. Would i stay here again?? For convenience yes but would like to see an fresh look in the bedrooms. Train to Milan was 40 minutes and was worth the visit. Cost about 10 euro.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This is my third time staying at this hotel within the past 8 months. My first time was absolutely fabulous. They gave me a single room on the top floor which I believe it was renovated. Although it did not have a balcony, the room was very comfortable and functional. The latest visit was early December which I was very disappointed when they gave me a room on the second floor overlooking the parking lot. The room was not renovated. Although everything worked as expected, the room felt dated. I was told the hotel is fully booked and next time I can specify the top floor during booking. The receptionist gave me a cocktail coupon....Oh well....maybe next time I will try a different hotel to compare.

Arli Hotel still offer very nice amenities. It's location is also very good. There is a bus stop within 1 minute walk that will take you directly to the Bergamo airport. The train station is also within 10 minutes walk. There is a strip mall right across the street as well as many fine restaurants within the area. Breakfast is average. The only hot or warm food they serve is boilded egg. Although the service at the restaurant is very good. Wifi connection was not very good in my room.

Bergamo is a beautiful and clean city to visit. Especially Citta Alta which can be easily reach by bus, walking (or hiking) up the hill, or take the Funicolare.

Room Tip: If you are a solo traveler make sure to ask for the top floor after booking.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business