“Bed bugs”

Ostello di Bergamo
Vicenza, Italy
“Bed bugs”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed there for two night. The hostel is not so bad but the room wasn't really clean and I've been beaten by bed bugs! I wrote an email to the hostel to tell them about it and i haven't got an answer..be careful!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank marcoooz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hostel is situated out of town on a hill reached by no. 3 bus and nearby, the no. 6 bus. It is modern, clean, well run and friendly. Dorm beds are the usual with an en-suite toilet and shower. Largish lockers are provided – you need to bring a small padlock or buy a good quality one at reception for €5.

Large outdoor patio – perfect for breakfast overlooking the city. There is a Spar-type supermarket about 300 metres down the hill (closes 1900, don’t know about Sundays) along with a couple of neighbourhood bars. No restaurants in the immediate vicinity – The Suzuran Japanese Restaurant and an Italian one are about 700 metres away - they don’t open until 1930. Reception can arrange Pizza delivery – I tried it – quite good but a bit moreish in my case.

Free internet via Wi-Fi or a communal laptop – great improvement on Menaggio.

There is cold food (and beer) storage but no cooking facilities except a microwave. They sell microwaveable TV dinner style Italian food - €5 - but I didn’t try it.

The inclusive breakfast was quite good – standard continental hostel fare but only one cup of coffee. There are cheap coffee machines though if you can drink the stuff they deliver.

The hostel staff are very friendly and helpful and the hostel is open all day.

Downsides – distance from the city along with a bus service that stops at around 1930. Lack of a burger / chicken / kebab place anywhere near. No cooking.

My tip – 3 day transport pass including a trip to and from the airport is a bargain at €7. You will want to ride the funiculars to the Alta Citta and beyond – so the pass will save you quite a bit if you stay for 2 or days. Buy it in the middle of town at the transport info building 500 metres up from the railway station

Joe

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

comfortable for a youth hostel. Wehad a double room with our own shower and balcony and a tv. Towels and toiletries included so it was palatial by hostel standards. A bit of a shock to find out how far away from the airport it was. Helpful locals gave us directions and it helps to speak Italian! two bus rides and the funicular train ride and we were there at 1am! We got a microwaved meal (5 euro each) by the helpful concierge and the place has really got great views. The breakfast - only one coffee and one juice (it was yuk anyway). we were only there for the night so it was wasted on us really. clean and comfortable and would have been a good getaway for a crowd of friends!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cuenca, Spain
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed there 2 nights. The hotel is very clean, the breakfast all right and the location - even though off the road - is peaceful and beautiful. It must nice to stay there during summer in order to enjoy the terrace.

My rating is so low because of the staff.

First, the chubby morning reception guy (the boss ?), while asking him questions, answered evasively looking at my girlfriend as though she was a piece of meat ready to put in his bed. We felt so welcomed.

Second, the night porter was maybe a nice old old man. But thanks to him who didnt understand anything - and I speak fluently Italian - I missed my flight -along with 4 other people. The taxi booked for 5 o'clock never showed up and no alternative was offered.

No help or alternative was offered by the hostel. I got stuck 2 nights more in Bergamo waiting for my next flight, and I had to find an other hotel since it was full.

Thanks a lot Ostello !

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bergamo hotels

Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Reviewed February 14, 2012

It's a good place to stay, I was happy.

But I must say before I start, that it's not conveniently located. It's about 30mins away from the train station and 10 mins from the centre of town, in a quiet suburb of Bergamo. You need to get 2 buses and walk up aloooooooot of stairs (it's at the top of a steep hill). I would not reccommend this for the elderly, or for people with alot of luggage (especially luggage with wheels).

That said, the staff is very friendly, professional, speaks many languages. The hostel is clean, large, modern and really well-kept.

Our room (twin share) had a TV with cable, comfortable beds, perfect temperature, constant supply of hot water, hair dryer and Wifi in the room.

Breakfast is the usual italian hostel breakfast (that is, self-serve pre-packed stuff like yoghurt, mini jams and honey, toast and biscuits). It's hard to be pleased with it, but then again, we're not in Germany : )

What else... oh yeah, females have one level and males have another (as in many hostels) unless you book a shared room then you have the mixed level.

If you are staying for 3 days or more, then it's worth the initial and final voyages. (Inbetween, travel is easy, because there's a bus stop outside the front door, and in less than 10mins you're in town). But for short stays, maybe you'd better go somewhere closer to the centre, or to the train station (if you're in Bergamo for airport reasons).

Enjoy this beautiful city!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lyon, France
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Great comfortable hostel in charming Bergamo, but very far away from stazione and city centre. The hostel was very clean, and with excellent amenities. Comfortable rooms, ample space, nice dining area, and comfortable seating in the TV area. The breakfast was very basic, cereal, yogurts, bread, pannetone, and choice of coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. That's where my positives stop. The hostel is far, from city centre, very far. Only way I suggest you make it to the hostel is by taxi which will range from 10-20 euros from stazione. The bus does stop right in front of the hostel, but good luck finding it from stazione. It is a confusing walk for a person in unfamiliar surroundings. The hostel has free wi-fi, and the the wi-fi is unreliable at best. Only certain areas had signal strong enough to view a website, and that was always outside of your room. There is only one computer available with internet access, though there is a touch screen computer that is pretty much worthless in my opinion. The two biggest issues I had with this hostel were the lack of power outlets. I searched and searched throughout the room and found only two power outlets. That completely surprised me. I needed to charge my mobile, camera and iPod but couldn't. One outlet was by the lightswitch for the room and the other, inside the wash room. Very poor design. Speaking of poor designs, the wash room. Wow. is all i can say. Who decided to place the toilet directly in front of the shower? I was wondering why there was a mop in the wash room, and after I took a shower I quickly realised. The entire wash room was soaked because the positioning of the shower and the lack of a shower door or curtain. The lack of places to eat within walking distance was very minimal and highly limited. So I recommend that during breakfast, you might want to squirrel away some yogurts and breads for snacking later, or while you are out visiting old town, pick up several snacks for later. The staff was averagely helpful. I felt as if this hostel was more "corporate" then I like. I asked of what there is to do around town since the winter was warm and there wasn't any snow on the mountains yet, all they did was refer me to the Bergamo tourist pamphlet. I can read a pamphlet, I want to know what locals do around town, but I guess they didn't get it. The front desk girl was pretty, but didn't make up for the lack of effort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Unfortunately this hostel is the only budget option in Bergamo, if by "budget" you mean 18€, minimum.

That's not the right price for a youth hostel, and this particular one does not deserve this amount of money.

Lack of competition in this area, or bad management, I don't know.

The place is located outside the major sights of Bergamo, and there is not many shops around, but thanks to a good public transportation system you can go to the city very easily.

As another person said, i would recommend this place only in case of emmergency, due to its pricing, far too expensive for a youth hostel of that kind.

• Stayed September 2011