“Good place, but far from centre”
Review of Ostello di Bergamo

Ostello di Bergamo
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
“Good place, but far from centre”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

It's a good place to stay, I was happy.

But I must say before I start, that it's not conveniently located. It's about 30mins away from the train station and 10 mins from the centre of town, in a quiet suburb of Bergamo. You need to get 2 buses and walk up aloooooooot of stairs (it's at the top of a steep hill). I would not reccommend this for the elderly, or for people with alot of luggage (especially luggage with wheels).

That said, the staff is very friendly, professional, speaks many languages. The hostel is clean, large, modern and really well-kept.

Our room (twin share) had a TV with cable, comfortable beds, perfect temperature, constant supply of hot water, hair dryer and Wifi in the room.

Breakfast is the usual italian hostel breakfast (that is, self-serve pre-packed stuff like yoghurt, mini jams and honey, toast and biscuits). It's hard to be pleased with it, but then again, we're not in Germany : )

What else... oh yeah, females have one level and males have another (as in many hostels) unless you book a shared room then you have the mixed level.

If you are staying for 3 days or more, then it's worth the initial and final voyages. (Inbetween, travel is easy, because there's a bus stop outside the front door, and in less than 10mins you're in town). But for short stays, maybe you'd better go somewhere closer to the centre, or to the train station (if you're in Bergamo for airport reasons).

Enjoy this beautiful city!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Lyon, France
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Great comfortable hostel in charming Bergamo, but very far away from stazione and city centre. The hostel was very clean, and with excellent amenities. Comfortable rooms, ample space, nice dining area, and comfortable seating in the TV area. The breakfast was very basic, cereal, yogurts, bread, pannetone, and choice of coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. That's where my positives stop. The hostel is far, from city centre, very far. Only way I suggest you make it to the hostel is by taxi which will range from 10-20 euros from stazione. The bus does stop right in front of the hostel, but good luck finding it from stazione. It is a confusing walk for a person in unfamiliar surroundings. The hostel has free wi-fi, and the the wi-fi is unreliable at best. Only certain areas had signal strong enough to view a website, and that was always outside of your room. There is only one computer available with internet access, though there is a touch screen computer that is pretty much worthless in my opinion. The two biggest issues I had with this hostel were the lack of power outlets. I searched and searched throughout the room and found only two power outlets. That completely surprised me. I needed to charge my mobile, camera and iPod but couldn't. One outlet was by the lightswitch for the room and the other, inside the wash room. Very poor design. Speaking of poor designs, the wash room. Wow. is all i can say. Who decided to place the toilet directly in front of the shower? I was wondering why there was a mop in the wash room, and after I took a shower I quickly realised. The entire wash room was soaked because the positioning of the shower and the lack of a shower door or curtain. The lack of places to eat within walking distance was very minimal and highly limited. So I recommend that during breakfast, you might want to squirrel away some yogurts and breads for snacking later, or while you are out visiting old town, pick up several snacks for later. The staff was averagely helpful. I felt as if this hostel was more "corporate" then I like. I asked of what there is to do around town since the winter was warm and there wasn't any snow on the mountains yet, all they did was refer me to the Bergamo tourist pamphlet. I can read a pamphlet, I want to know what locals do around town, but I guess they didn't get it. The front desk girl was pretty, but didn't make up for the lack of effort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Unfortunately this hostel is the only budget option in Bergamo, if by "budget" you mean 18€, minimum.

That's not the right price for a youth hostel, and this particular one does not deserve this amount of money.

Lack of competition in this area, or bad management, I don't know.

The place is located outside the major sights of Bergamo, and there is not many shops around, but thanks to a good public transportation system you can go to the city very easily.

As another person said, i would recommend this place only in case of emmergency, due to its pricing, far too expensive for a youth hostel of that kind.

• Stayed September 2011
Warszawa, Polska
Reviewed November 30, 2010

High quality for very good price :)
Rooms are clean, even in dorn was quiet and clean.
The staff is helpfull and speaks English good.
Breakfast is included, only bread, jam, milk, yoghurt, flakes, coffee/tea but it's OK :)
We spend there only one night but I can recdcomend it to every travellers :)
Enjoy and have fun

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Good services, very clean, beautiful location and with the bus stop near, pizza take away, church if you like to pray or like religion art, can go to Città Alta (historical) just have to take the bus or a bike.

Love the surrounding mountains, rooms with balcony, small bathroom but have the important things, the breakfast could be better, great internet service (highspeed), you can tell the receptionist to order a pizza :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
St Kilda, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I booked two beds for a friend of mine for two nights whilst we were travelling around Italy for the weekend. Upon arrival we found the hostel clean, and it with a lovely view of mountains etc.
The rooms themselves are clean and spacious, you will not need a sleeping bag as linen is provided, however if it is winter you may want to request an extra blanket.

Breakfast is pretty awful and consisted of:
1 glass concentrated juice
1 coffee/tea
1 bread roll (stale both days)
1 jam spead and butter

Considering the price you pay, it doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or not. The bus is only a short ride into town, be sure to take advantage of the 5euro 3 day bus fare. Visit the Nella Bakery - the food is fresh, cheap and aithentic! Great for backpackers on a budget.

Surprisingly for two young girls staying at this 'Youth Hotel', we hardly saw any 'youths', it was mostly older european couples and families which was a bit disapointing as we were hoping me met new people.

• Liked — Bus on the door step that takes you straight to Citta Alta! Great Location, very cheap.
  • Disliked — terrible breakfast, when it's this bad, there is no point supplying it.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank seratori
London
Reviewed July 11, 2007

Room and bathroom were fine, however service
on the front desk was not very good.
They were not there at 11 in the morning when I needed help
with directions to get to Milan.

When I did get to speak to someone he just walked out on me
and drove off closing the kiosk without giving me a chance to ask him my question. This was at 11am...Pathetic

• Liked — View from our bedroom balcony
  • Disliked — Crap unhelpful Service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LondonEuroTraveller

Travelers are raving about these Bergamo hotels