“basic rooms, great location, decent value”
Review of Albergo Il Sole

Albergo Il Sole
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
United Kingdom
“basic rooms, great location, decent value”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Spent 2 nights here. room was small, bathroom is the tiniest I have ever encountered but this hotel is more about the location, right in the heart of the old town. At 85 euros a night including a ( very basic ) breakfast it is good value compared to the prices of other hotels in the area.
Was glad we stayed in the old town as the new town just didnt have the same appeal!!
Would recommend it to anyone who wants a no-frills base for exploring the area.
Bergamo is a perfect base for visiting lake Garda AND Lake Como by train and since the public transport is good there is no real need for a car....all the public transport link timetables can be easily accessed on the net ( local buses and trains to further afield ).
As a previous reviewer mentioned have a drink in the bar at the back of the citta alta funicilor station, spectacular views from the outside terrace.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank advocaat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I chose this hotel in Bergamo based on price and on a positive listing in one of my guidebooks. It is right on the corner of the Piazza Vecchia in the Citta Alta so I couldn’t have asked for a better location. The restaurant on the ground floor is also highly rated.

I was assigned a single room on the top level (Room #101) which was adequate but nothing great (the bathroom had all new fixtures, however). It had a king size bed so could be offered as a double, but it would be almost claustrophobic for two people. The weather in Bergamo was very warm and this little room had only one small window plus a table fan. The fan helped some but the room never cooled off, even at night. For the price I didn't expect air conditioning so that's not an implied criticism. I didn’t see any of the other rooms so I can’t judge whether the others were any larger or cooler, but I suspect that the ones on the same level (#102 and #103) were equally stifling in the hot weather. They might be fine in other seasons.

The hotel takes credit cards (not always the case) and the garden restaurant was delightful. A nice continental breakfast was included in the price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Feistygal
roscommon
Reviewed August 16, 2009

just great.....i can say no more....try to book for a table in the garden...great staff, great food, great value for money

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mons78
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Stayed for 3 nights over Easter, our 2nd stay having stayed here 5 years ago. Large room with no thrills but adequate. Best thing is the location as it is situated on the main square in the heart of the old town. The amount of time this saves when exploring Bergamo is well worth the price of the hotel.

Hotel restaurant is also very good. Lots of local specialities (rabbit with polenta and a local ravioli) and a great range that also includes pizzas. We did not try the breakfast as we enjoyed the local cafes instead

Only downside was the large rooms were quite echoey which meant we were disturbed several times by the early risers in the room above. I did not think the steps mentioned in the previous review were an issue.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Echoes
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank CNam
England
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights at this Hotel and were perhaps unfortunate with the location of the room. I knew that there was no lift,but did not expect to have to go up2 flights of stairs,down another and up another to get to our room ! We were simply handed the keys at reception and left to fathom iy out. Our room was clean but I did not like the fact that the wash basin was in the rom and not in the bathroom,which was very small. Ok,we managed for 2 nights but would not have wanted longer. Room was also very small and dark. Very clean,and toiletries provided. As it is in such a good location in the very centre of Citta Alta the price was reasonable.
We had one Dinner in the restaurant and I can really recommend this,it was extremely good.Breakfast was expensive and not so good,so we went to cafe on the Piazza for our second morning.
Staff were courteous and efficient but not over friendly. Best of all was a young chambermaid who saw me struggling with my case as we were leaving and immediateley took it from me and carried it down for me and did not even pause long enough for a tip !
Do not miss the Funicular Cafe, great viewsgood snacks and very friendly staff.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Wash basin in bedroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Greensleeves
Leeds
Reviewed January 14, 2007

This hotel is right in the centre of the old town in Bergamo and is fantastic value for the location. The rooms are plain and basic but the bed was large and very comfortable. Breakfast wasn't included in price but is served in the (very good) restaurant downstairs if you want it. We preferred to try some of the many bars in the old town for our breakfasts.
We will certainly go again as we love Bergamo: it is the perfect place for a long weekend.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bath
  • Tips/Secrets — Vineria Cozzi is a lovely place to eat.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank K2Leeds
Gallup, New Mexico
Reviewed December 1, 2006

Hotel Sole was recommended by the tourist info office located just past the main square on the right in the Citta' Alta. The hotel is at the corner of the big square. I was travelling with my parents. Our room had beds to accomodate three, w/ armoires and reading lamps at the beds, a small dressing area, and a good size bathroom, with a large tub, which we rarely found in 3-4 Star hotels. I think we paid US$70, which was reasonable. With this you get to drive into the walled city and park about a short block away with parking pass. This initially seemed to be an issue but it was easy and the car was very safe.

The room was clean and the bathroom was also clean with big towels. Many of the towels we encountered in Italy were like large thick sheets that you can wrap around your body, as i saw another review complaining about the skimpy towels. I kinda liked this idea, especially for summer months. We didn't complain.

The best part of this hotel is the restaurant. We came down for dinner about 730pm, early by Italian standards, but after a day of travel and sightseeing it was time to sit and eat. The staff said, Eat here!. Very good suggestion. The restaurant had just a few tables seated when we arrived, was full when we left, and after a bit of a walk on the square we returned back to our room and found the restaurant AND the upstairs dining area/extra room packed with locals.
Our meals were great. The minesta was very simple and flavorful, very typical of northern italian food. My mum had the Pasta Pomodoro (tomato sauce). On first bite, she said, This is very good! The flavor was above/beyond the other pastas we ate along the way. We decided this dinner was one of our best meals in Italy. Granted, we're Italo-Americans, and mum is a great cook, so we know our food. They had a great dessert cart. The entire meal was elegant and very reasonable.

I give this hotel an A+ for the price and location, and the fact that it is a family run hotel. There is a lot to see in Bergamo Citta' Alta, but it can be done in a short day.

Please, someone find those Polenta pastries, seen in all the pastry shops, have a bite and email me and tell me what's inside. We saw them, planned to grab one after lunch out of total curiosity, then left town, never to see them again, and still very curious!
ciao!

• Liked — room clean, great food
  • Disliked — steps
  • Tips/Secrets — eat here