“Great location, nice hotel”

Best Western Hotel Cappello D'Oro
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
GreenLeadersGold level
Leixlip, Ireland
“Great location, nice hotel”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days while on a business trip to Bergamo. Before we arrived we received an email from the Hotel asking if we had any special requests or requirements, I thought this was very good. We were greeted warmly on arrival and shown to our room within 5 minutes. I booked a superior room, and while it was spotless clean, and the bathroom was lovely, it was a bit on the small side. There was a tea/coffee maker with a good selection of teas and coffee,a mini-bar which had a decent enough selection. There was also bathrobes and slippers supplied. The bed takes a bit of getting used to as the mattress is quite firm. The free wifi was an added bonus, and there's also a pc just off reception which is free to use and you can also print from it. There's some lovely apples (free) and some jelly sweets on the desk in reception. Breakfast was decent enough, but I think we might have arrived down a bit too late to enjoy the full selection on offer. The location is excellent - about 5 minutes walk from the train station, there's a bus stop just outside the main door, and the tram to Cita Alta is also about 5 minutes away. We would definitely stay here again. The hotel also has a special deal with a local taxi company for the airport run, which is €17, otherwise it could cost around €25!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SBarry7
BWCappellodOro, Marina- Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Hotel Cappello D'Oro, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear SBarry7,

thank you very much for your comments concerning your stay in our hotel, this help us to focus what we can emprove and how to do it, we will surely use your suggestions emprove our service!

Hoping you will come again to visit us,
Best regards
Marina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
offaly, Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Bergamo is a beautiful city, Not to large easy to get around.

Best Western is in a great location, Beside the B-W you can see COIN department store about 200-300yards away, lights flashing on the building. Beside this area is main shopping area in Bergamo,

When you get off the plane at the airport go to first bus stop and get the 1A to Bergamo, Machine at the bus stop (Multi-Language option) you can select a ticket for €3.50 or €7. We chose €7 ticket and this ticket allowed us to use the bus service for 72hrs without any further charge. and the €3.50 is valid 24hrs. We got the bus into the bus station and then is comes back around heading for Alta Cita and it is the second stop after McDonalds. Best Western is only about 300yards from the bus station so it is only a short walk.

NH Bergamo is only about 150yards away from bus station and San Marco is about 600yards.

Alta Cita is absolutely beautiful and is a must place to see. Narrow streets all on a Height with old Churches and Museums fab shops and cafes. I would recommend getting of the bus across the road from the B-W and get off at the Funiculor (300yds after the San Marco Hotel), it is a cable car that carries you to the top of the old town.( €5 return for 2 adults).

As for the hotel it is classed a 4star I would say 3star, Parts of the Hotel are tired. Place is spotlessly clean and service is good, No extras like pool or saunas etc Good location. Hotels rooms are basic My own comparison is a good Travel Lodge room and should be priced accordingly. I did get a price of €89 per night online, but when checking out they added City Tax(€3.50 per/night -1 Adult ) they didn't charge me €89 but €101per night. Hotel is very warm to hot and stuffy for me but I know plenty who love the cosy heat. Hotel is noisy from bells from Church and traffic But I love the noise myself but some would not like it.

Bergamo bus station you can catch a bus to Centre of Milan. €5.45 each way. buy tickets at the cafe in the station. Bus stop no.4 and 1hr trip to Milan. Bus will drop you off in the Centre of Milan, across the road from behind the Bus, Head to the Cathedral down main shopping street. It is the most magnificent building I have ever seen. Literally took my breath away. Wouldn't matter which religion you are this has to be seen. I would classify this historic building as one of the wonders of the world. Well worth taking the bus tour on the open top bus, quite expensive €20 per/adult for a 48hr period but bus only runs 9am to 4.30pm.

Stay in Bergamo we got the Bus ot to the Orio centre across from the airport, Fab shopping Centre Is much bigger than it looks. You'll dropped of at arrivals at airport walk to departures where you got the 1A to Bergamo and head to the pavement to main road and follow signs to Orio shopping centre. Won't disappoint and if you have a shoe fetish I have never seen so many shoes in my life. We also had the extra benifit of the January sales but was limited to what we could buy because we had carry on luggage with ryanair.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank n0el00
Dear n0el00,

you have given a very accurate description of your stay starting from "how to get there" up to "what to do".

I am sorry you did not noticed our fitness & sauna room, we have it! I hope next time you can use it!

See you in your next visit!
italia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed at the capello d'oro again. This has to be my favourite hotel in bergamo. I have stayed in 4 now as you can see from my other reviews and this one is by far the better. The staff are friendlier and the breakfasts better too. The only thing letting the hotel down was their wi fi system with different passwords.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maldini3
BWCappellodOro, Marina- Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Hotel Cappello D'Oro, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Maldini3,
thanks for your review and for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Bergamo.

We are working hardly to ensure to each of our guests the best memorable stay! I hope you will come again in our hotel and it will be a pleasure for me to meet you during your next stay!

See you in Bergamo!
uk
Reviewed November 7, 2012

It's only 10 minutes drive from the airport and the hotel has a special taxi rate of 17 Euros. It cost us 25 to get there. The airport bus stops right outside the hotel and only costs 2.10 Euro. The location is ideal - 5 minutes walk in one direction to the train station, from where it's easy to get to Milan or Lecco on Lake Como in less than an hour. 10 minutes walk in the other direction takes you to the cable car to Citta Alta. Just around the corner are lots of shops, including a Coin department store. There were free apples in reception which the kids took advantage of. Travelling as a group of 5, we booked a double and a triple room. The double was small but adequate but the triple was much larger than expected. Breakfast is fine - the usual self-service buffet with a good choice. We also visited the Orio Center which offers a large selection of shops including a large supermarket. Reception were helpful whenever we approached them.The main downside is that the website says there is free wifi throughout the hotel. In reality it was totally unavailable in the bedrooms and a very weak signal in the public areas. My only other negative was sleep quality. Firstly, the curtains do not physically meet in the middle. This was not too bad in November as the mornings were not that bright but in summer would be a nuisance. Also the church bells from the imposing Santa Maria church (a beautiful building right opposite the hotel) would ring very loudly, quite early in the mornings (7.30ish), waking myself and the children, when a holiday lie in would have been nice, although I appreciate that this is not the hotel's fault!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kilouju
Dear Kilouju, thank you for your review.

We are glad that you are satisfied with your stay and I apologize if the wifi signal was not the best but we had a short period of boosting the signal in which the signal was low, now everything is solved.

With regard to the quality of sleep the room is completely darkened thanks to exterior shutters while for the bells being the rooms well soundproofed normally you do not hear them but we can avoid the problem giving you an interior room for your next stay.

Greetings from Bergamo!
Clio, California
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Service was indifferent, but adequate. The breakfast was good, but the morning "waiter" was bordering on rude and downright unfriendly. Check in was easy. The room was noisy, mostly due to being so close to a big intersection.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Clio2, thanks for your review.

For us being "just ok" is really far away from our goal and I'm sorry that your experience was so "normal". I hope you can give us another chance to show you our real core, you can refer to me directly for your next stay and I will do my best to make it an unforgettable experience.

Greetings from Bergamo!
UK
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I heard every toilet flush, cough and shower through the thin bedroom walls. Such a pity as the beds were comfortable, the staff friendly, the position excellent and just near the bus stop for town centre and airport. breakfasts also good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BWCappellodOro, Marina- Sales and Marketing Manager at Best Western Hotel Cappello D'Oro, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Msykes,

thanks for writing your review concerning your stay in our hotel.
Your comments will help us improving and we will take them into great consideration.

I hope to meet you in your next visit so that you can tell me if the problem is solved.
Best regards