“Room, facilities and location were fantastic”
Review of GombitHotel

GombitHotel
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Rooms and bathroom were extremely spacious and of fantastic design. Location is also great! The only issue is that the hotel has no garage and you need to find your place in the street, which is really not easy. Breakfast was good, but not 5 stars as the rest.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank M B
There are newer reviews for GombitHotel

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Splendia once again gave us a great tip! For a very convinient (low season) price of 110 Euros for two persons with breakfast included we could discover the heart of the old city of Bergamo. Just one block from the cathedral. Excellent situation. Very nice design rooms. A bit hard to find the first time you are in Bergamo. Make sure to ask for good instructions when you book. Breakfast is nice but no eggs. Wi Fi in the rooms. Probably the best place to stay in Bergamo!

Room Tip: Try to have a room (even the small ones are big enough and very nice) with window on the little piaz...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EtiennE111
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Set in a entirely renovated medieval tower, where parts of the old structure are still visible in the rooms, the hotel is very well kept, new and clean. Very well situated right next to the Piazza Vecchia. Contemporary art pervades through the entire hotel.
Didn't like the mixture of grey and orange colors used in the rooms though. Staff was helpful and adequate. Church bell enthusiasts will be very happy to know they ring every 15 minutes from various locations around the hotel as of 7am ;-)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is an ultra modern hotel housed within an extremely old building. We had a luxury room at the top of the building. It was nice, but the bed was up on a platform above the sitting area and going up and down the stairs to the bathroom was annoying. The air conditioning was not so good,it was never cool enough for us. The staff are fairly helpful,we found them to be very reserved, breakfast was served in a lovely room on the first floor. One big plus is that the hotel is extremely clean and dust free which is not always the case in old buildings in Italy! I do think its the best place to stay in Bergamo. Dreadful wifi never worked on our 3 night stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After arriving at an apt. we had rented online that was a dark hole, our taxi driver brought us here.
At first it looked too modern (after all this is a town that goes back to the first century BC) but after learning it really is a historic building and seeing the most comfortable and air-conditioned rooms, we jumped for it. And we were very lucky as walk-ins on a July day. Great location, great staff and the church bells bring me right back to our second home in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor i.e. 4th
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Today is my final of 4 days at Gombit. I had a wonderful stay. I always love the combination of ancient and modern, hard and soft, charm with mod cons. If you enjoy contemporary art, you'll also probably love this place. Fabulous paintings and site-specific installations include amusing touches like a big seed like a coconut as the drapery closure tip on 15 foot high drapes; an enormous painting spreading across the breakfast room walls reminiscent of Antonio Tapies; open notebooks inviting your written comments with attached pens were strung along a wire and curly metal coils. An almost 1000 year old building was renovated a couple of years ago to be very modern inside. I smiled at the niche in the old stone wall now housing a clear-sound mini speaker. The young woman serving cappuccino at breakfast replenished cheeses and sliced fruits and whatever else was needed or requested, all with a smile.

I was in room 6, a small suite, which was lovely. I peeked into room 4 during cleaning and it is right next to the elevator, so I wouldn't have enjoyed that room so much. The natural light was much better in 4 than 6, however.

Rather than book through a third party site, I'd recommend calling or emailing the hotel directly. They will probably match, or be lower than a booking site, and perhaps than their own website's rack rate. I always prefer to give a small hotel all the booking money rather than have them split it with a big booking site. It's a win-win that way.

Housekeeping is excellent.

I appreciated the robe and slippers. The white cotton bed linens with double sheets enclosing the duvet are soft and comfortable and fresh.

The front desk staff is polite, although a bit reserved (until we finally really chatted today, which was delightful.) They, upon request, recommended perfect places, and even specific dishes at a certain restaurant.

Now, the sometimes frustrating things which still won't let me remove a star from this review. I read previous TA reviews before booking and thought I was prepared for Gombit's quirks, but they still took some getting used to. The design sometimes trumps function: the bathroom sink took me 2 days to learn how to (mostly) avoid epic wetness all over myself, the mirror and walls. I finally got the hang of taking a shower without almost flooding the bathroom. There isn't an overflow valve in the square sink, so if you hand wash clothes, stay there to turn off be water, or you'll flood the bathroom floor, which has no floor drain. And the bathroom floor meets the room's wood floor-- inviting a slippery accident and a mess. USE SLIPPERS PROVIDED or non-skid shoes as the wet slick floor is dangerous. The bed is too firm and the pillows, unlike soft down another poster described and disliked, are also solid and too firm for me. The elevator bell rings loudly at each stop and the housekeeping room is across the narrow hall from the door and bed in room 6, so it was noisy in the mornings.....if I didn't have my mighty Mack's silicone earplugs in snugly. (I swear by those things and have them in each piece of luggage/tote/sometimes even purse.) Be prepared to hear church bells early-- again, I used earplugs, so I wasn't disturbed, but without them, the noise in the room would've disturbed me. I'm writing all these negatives which would ordinarily cause me to remove a star, or even two, but my overall stay was so restful and enjoyable, I just can't.

Citta Alta is wonderful. Staying within the old walls was special, and you do get the sense of protection that others 1000 years or so ago must have felt. I highly recommend Gombit. Just bring Mack's and take care with the bathroom water!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Gombit is a stylish hotel with large well appointed rooms that blend the historic feel of the 13th Century building with contemporary design and modern art. Its location - just off the city square - is very convenient for sight seeing. There are many restaurants close by. If you arrive by train, the taxi fare from the station is EUR10 - though it is not always easy to find a taxi.

Downsides of the Gombit hotel are the unreliable wifi (it was down more than it was working during our four day stay) and the variable hot water.

Overall - a hotel to consider for a short break.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business