“Just Lovely”
Review of Le 5 Vie B&B

Le 5 Vie B&B
Ranked #15 of 183 Bergamo B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We have just returned from a trip which included an overnight in Bergamo. Le 5 Vie B&B was just perfect. The owner could't be more friendly and helpful.

The double bedroom has a beautifully decorated bed, lovely furniture with big door leading out onto the large veranda which overlooks the square. The veranda is a shared space with the family who own the b&b and the apartment which adjoins the b&b.

There is a small room adjoined to the bedroom with another big set of windows and doors onto the veranda, simply but perfectly furnished. You have a small couch with tea and coffee making facilities. This is perfect room for changing, leaving all bags etc.

The bathroom is a share, but as there is only 1 other room, if your like us, you probably won't even notice anyone else.

The location is great, 10 minute walk from station, good access to the old city and just right in the middle of a lovely square. The breakfast is home made biscuits and coffee served in style on the large veranda.

Honestly, cannot recommend this place enough. If we go with the family next time we'd just book the other room and then you'd have the whole apartment to yourself.

We were flying out later in the day and because they had no other guests booked for that night they just let us keep our key and return later.

Top tip - phone the owners to come and meet you as it's a little tricky to find.

Room Tip: One room is a double and the other is a twin with an adjoining single. The double is nicer but the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baloney

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed there with my son for 3 nights in July. Lovely rooms in a beautiful old building. Nice and clean, good location and very friendly owners.

Easy to find from the train station, so the perfect place to stay and use as your base if you visit North Italy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sjagmin
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were two families staying here, and we loved it. Beautiful rooms, a great terrace and nice breakfast. Maurizio and Paula were lovely, and the perfect hosts. It is located right next to the main shopping street, and we could easily walk to the funicular that takes you to the old town.
I will never stay in another place in Bergamo.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with direct access to the terrace
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Le 5 Vie was our last stop of 24 hotels/b&b/apts during a 'grand tour' driving around northern eastern and southern europe. It was the best. We stayed in the 4th floor apartment a couple of blocks from Maurizio and Paula's house and it was perfect, a 2012 New york apt in a beautifully restored 18th century Italian building. Marrizio and Paula are the perfect B&B hosts, attentive , freely giving of their time and advice. They prepared excellent local breakfasts both in our apartment and on the terrace at their house. On all occasions breakfast was accompanied by good advice and interesting philosophical conversation with Maurizio and great insights into Bergamo life with Paula. Following a mountain road blowout, they also gave freely of their time, spending several hours on a Saturday afternoon helping us to find a buy a tyre for our car. Maurizio came with us and negotiated the deal.
Bergamo is a charming town, of two parts, the lower town from the 16th century and the high town a fortified medieval town town with Roman remnants. Bergamo is also perfectly located for visiting most of the lake distict and a 40 min train ride to Milano.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Reading 20Monroes review actually made me and my partner feel better. At various points during our stay we were convinced we had upset the hosts.

We have just returned from what was planned to be a lovely romantic weekend twinned with my Birthday. Based on what we had read, I do not think we were expecting too much from the hosts, based on previous reviews.

Maurizio seemed to be preoccupied and didn't give us the attention that we had expected from reading the other reviews written about his place.

I don't agree with the view of Paola, I found her approachable and she took care of 2 out of the 3 Breakfasts and produced one of the best omelettes I have had the pleasure to eat.

This review might make the B&B sound awful, it is not meant to, just to temper your view of what to expect at the moment if visiting and to allow the owners to understand why we are not as happy as previous visitors have been.

Before I detail just some of the problems we encountered, let me review the accomodation.

The room and seperate bathroom were both clean and have lovely high ceilings and beautiful wooden floors. Be aware though that the shower is unable to maintain the same temperature and varies between skin removal and cool.

We stayed in the double room with the antique bed. The bed is firm but comfortable, but as it was warm and we needed to keep the windows open, do expect street noise to wake you from time to time.

The furniture is an ecletic mix, from a beautiful antique wardrobe to a formica bedside table, to 1970's curved wooden units. The bedside reading light and the light on the writing table both did not work.

The room has no form of entertainment, audio or video. The wireless LAN is not fast enough to stream video to whatever device you bring along.

No information is held in the room, either for local attractions or the B&B.

Breakfast on the terrace is a magical way to start the day. Really tasty with nice homemade cakes and Omellettes, squeezed juiced, strong coffee and the presentation is well done.

Returning to what we found was the greatest disappointment for us and I'm sorry to say that was Maurizio.

My partner had been emailing Maurizio to arrange a special Champagne breakfast (which she had agreed to pay extra for) for the first morning to suprise me on my Birthday as I found out during the weekend.

We had a short amount of time on the Terrace after Maurizio had shown us the room as he was in a rush to get to somewhere else. He asked my partner her name and for my partner this rang alarm bells as he seemed not to recognise her unusual name.

I find later that my partner went to see Maurizio who despite assuring her over weeks that everything was already taken care of, expressed suprise and noted that he had forgotten it
all and it was probably too late to arrange, all the while in the middle of a loud shouting argument with his wife. Not the ideal way to present yourself to your guests. If my partner had not chased this up, it all would have been forgotten. As it was, Maurizio went onto the Internet to see what he could do.

My partner was obviously disappointed, but I do not believe any apology was offered.

We saw Maurizio maybe 3 times in 4 days for a total of 5 mins in total. I actually thought before we arrived that we might have had to ask him for some privacy based on prev reviews. He was always too busy and we didn't feel like guests, we felt like imposters in his house, to be barely tolerated until we departed.

Despite our obvious first visit to Bergamo and my partner being on crutches, little if any advice was offered.
A request for details of a any pubs showing Euro2012 matches resulted in 2 being suggested. One did not exist and the other closed 8 months previously.
I had to request a LAN access code, which was provided as he rushed out to another appointment.
We got a basic bus timetable map from Paola, but it was in French.
We were unable to arrange an earlier Breakfast for the Sunday as we were unable to get an answer from their accomodation Saturday afternoon or evening.
On the last day as Coffee was served during Breakfast we were informed that we needed to make our way to the Piazza Pontida as Paola would be dropping us back to the Airport. (remember my partner is on Crutches).

Overall we had a lovely stay in Bergamo, but all in all it fell short of the 5 star reviews already given and I would also rate this stay at 3 stars.

Le5Vie emailed me within hours of 20Monroes review being posted to ask if I had written that review. I have to say that if as much attention had been paid to us when we were there, then I would not be writing this review.

Hopefully the hosts will take note of these reviews, and this is an abberation. We are hoping to return soon to Bergamo and would not rule out staying at Le5Vie, with either our expectations lowered, or hopefully the hosts have reverted to previous good form.

Room Tip: In summer the Double room leads to a shared terrace with the Hosts, where breakfast is served. A lov...
7  Thank Nottschappy
maurizioBergamo, Proprietario at Le 5 Vie B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

we are sure that 20monroe and nottschappy are the same person as no other english couple we had guests these time having breakfast on the terrace.
we love our job and we work hard from sunrise to sunset: could happen that something could get wrong and we accept critiques.
but these critiques are to be written wiith intellectual honesty..

Reviewed June 19, 2012

My partner and I booked this B&B based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and sadly we were let down.
The B&B has a perfect location, is very beautiful with a classic ambiance but a little bit noisy at night with outside traffic. Breakfast on the terrace is lovely and a great way to start the day.
However, the hosts made me feel like I was a burden. I didn’t feel we got the personal touch that everyone else has commented on receiving.
Maurizio seemed to be too busy and grumpy which came across as hostile at times. He really didn’t have the time to assist us with simply things. Paola, his wife had a better attitude and was more likeable but it was obvious she is not a natural people person. The two dogs appeared to be the most charming and welcoming.

As I read the other reviews again I feel very disappointed. I give the B&B ‘room only’ a 3 star recommendation.

7  Thank 20Monroe
maurizioBergamo, Proprietario at Le 5 Vie B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

criticize four years of our work and more than 60 five stars reviews(some of them of expert travelers) seems to be excessive. paola and me are expert hosts and when we see a couple spending most of the time in bedroom like in honeymoon and with a good bottle of wine ect. ect., we decide to stay apart respecting their privacy. then become difficult to have time to meet each other, talk and chat and of course let them feel our friendly atmosphere.
i've been complained to be too busy: yes, i always work hard but to satisfy our guests need.
instead we are very disappointed about on paola judgment as she is absolutely the opposite and everybody can check it.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Nice central location near all the shops and short walk to the old town funicular.

We stayed in the apartment which is nice and easygoing

Breakfast & Hosts are nice and give some tips