“Quaint B &B”

Hotel Jolanda
Portland, Oregon
“Quaint B &B”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Located away from the sea inside the city. The room was updated period piece with its own walk in closet and an easy to use safe for valuables. Atmosphere homey and pleasant with moderate breakfast buffet. Although, located off the the well trod path, there was street noise. Sleep was ok.Would not be my first choice in SM but would stay there again if the price were right. If not accustomed to a lot of walking this hotel is a couple of blocks away from shops and reasonably close to sea. Very friendly welcoming staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2014

If I was to believe what I read on Trip Advisor, I would not have stayed at Hotel Jolanda. My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised. We had a lovelly clean room with a great shower. The staff are very friendly. The buffet breakfast is adequate, again with staff making sure your needs were met. We even had dinner at Hotel Jolanda. It was one of the best meals we've had in Italy - basic but very tasty! The hotel is also in a great position - close to the railway station and the foreshore. I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Jolanda to anyone wanting to stay in Santa Margherita Ligure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leonora A
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Jolanda in early May. My husband is disabled and after 6 years of being a full time carer I was taking a 'Respite' holiday. I found the hotel perfect for my requirements. The staff were very kind. There was a good range of food for breakfast. My room was a good size for a single traveller. Unlike some comments the room was very quiet and I enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep. The first night in Santa Margherita I ate at a local restaurant but decided to eat in the hotel restaurant for the remainder of my holiday. The food was delicious and plentiful and better still, cheaper than the restaurant I had visited previously. The hotel is only a short, pleasant walk, passing shops and restaurants, to the sea. I loved my stay in Santa Margherita and I am sure I will visit again, staying at Hotel Jolanda.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Margaret B
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Lovely hotel for the 3star rating, good selection at breakfast, walking distance to beach and ferries, great small restaurants close by. Front desk was helpful with trains and hiking options to Cinque de Terre area.
Only complaint was taxi ride back to train station seemed unreasonably high, and front desk agent made the call for taxi driver.

3 Thank BeverlyR1955
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a trip to Italy in October as I always wanted to visit Portofino. We decide to stay in Santa Margherita and Hotel Jolanda had great reviews! It was an OK hotel, But I wouldn't recommended for more then 2 nights. It was old, not very clean and with very thin walls! We could hear the upstairs guests every time they were going to the toilet or coughing. The shower room was cramped and old with no pressure to the shower head. The staff was friendly and helpful but the hotel didn't have free parking which we found very odd. The double bed was formed from 2 single beds held together by the sheets. Behind the bed there were 2 large hols in the wall. The carpet was very run down, dusty and dirty. The size of the room was good and there was enough closet space. On the plus side the breakfast buffet was really good and fresh made with local produce. The location was good and with walking distance from Portofino. even though there was free WIFI the connection in the room was very bad and we couldn't use. However, there was a PC in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Maybe chose the suite which is more expensive but might be better quality
3 Thank mary l
New York
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed At this hotel for six nights. It was very centrally located to train station, restaurants and the harbor. The room was an ok size, you can't expect big rooms in Italy. My only complaint is that the room was too warm at night.The breakfast was a very nice buffet. I agree with the reader that said it was not typically Italian. The breakfast staff were wonderful. They went out of their way to get us croissants and eggs when we evinced the slightest desire for them. The staff at the desk was ok. We had our best experience with the night receptionist. Although he didn't speak much English, we were able to use our basic Italian and get the information we needed. He was very helpful.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you're visiting the Cinque Terre area..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank marguerite14
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. Very handy to the local restaurants & a 5 mins walk to the beach. We had a good size room the shower was a bit small but very clean. We had a balcony onto the street which was a bit noisy when you had the doors open, but this was needed as the room was quite warm. Breakfast was downstairs sadly we couldn't eat outside as most mornings it was raining. Selection was quite good, with many hams, cheese & boiled eggs. & cakes. I would have liked a bit more choice for cereal that cornflakes & coco pops. Staff were not that helpful when we asked about how to get to places and their english wasnt very good either. I would stay at this hotel again if I was in the area.

3 Thank janet n