“Niceish, you pay for the location”

Grand Hotel Miramare
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Ok, you come to this part of the coast to visit Portofino. Fair enough, they do have pricing power. The hotel is a grand old dame which would have fit perfectly in a grand tour.

The grounds of the hotel are really beautiful and the gardens charming. The room was nice enough to lounge about although getting the attention of a waiter was impossible, so we did without cocktail and the hotel without additional revenue.

The rooms are underwhelming, you really pay for the location rather than an amazing place. The breakfast was very nice with waiting staff on a roll and very attentive.

2  Thank JohnSINSG

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We recently spent 12 nights at the hotel(having been there before) and had a marvelous time. The hotel gets better and better, if that's possible. The staff was so helpful and courteous,helping us many,many times--especially Moreno and Gianluca at the Concierge desk. Our room overlooking the sea was terrific and the pool was large and very refreshing.Hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from town center. Grand Hotel Miramare is old world elegance, but is fresh,crisp and very clean throughout. Go there.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank howardtraveler
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I just think this is the most marvellous, old world hotel! I had a wonderful stay at the end of October last year and have been meaning to write a review. It rained the whole time, it was the end of the season, the place was empty, but still, I loved it so much! Grazie!

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Amanda R
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I loved this grand hotel that was exceptional in every way. The location is prime - across from the pebble beach (the concessions at the beach are not owned by the hotel but some loungers are free for hotel guests, based on availability), 3 mins walk to some restaurants and about 10 mins to the center of town, and a 45-60 mins walk to Portofino (depending on your pace). The hotel gardens and pool areas are lovely. I much preferred the pool to the pebbles of the crowded beach. We never had a problem with finding a sun lounger and the pool staff is incredibly helpful. Do not miss the gardens at the rear of the hotel. The sentimental walk is both cool and tranquil, and a haven for song birds . The view over the bay is spectacular.
The hotel itself is like stepping back in time to an era of elegance and civility. Every member of staff from reception, concierge, housekeeping, pool and parking was friendly and courteous. The building is the epitome of a stately hotel. We stayed in room 506 with a balcony. The view of the sea was lovely and I enjoyed my moments on the balcony with our welcome bottle of Asti. I found the bathroom to be fine, although some may think it needs updating, I had no issue with it. Turn down service occurred every night, no matter how different our schedule. I do think it is worth splurging for the sea view rooms (balcony) but a garden view would be pretty too.
When reviewing hotels, I like to take into consideration the rate, the star rating and the style. For me, this hotel ticked all the boxes. My greatest regret was that I should have altered my schedule to spend more than 3 nights at the exquisite Grand Hotel.

Room Tip: A higher view sea view room with balcony would be best. I loved our room 506, quiet and a great view...
3  Thank spotdog
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Family trip with adult children and friends. Took the train from Florence to SML in late June 2014 and stayed at Grand Hotel Miramare. It was our first trip to the "Italian Riviera." It was a good rest stop at the end of week one in Italy.

Took a pre-booked taxi from the train station to hotel. We received a warm welcome from the bellman and were impressed with their professionalism and organization throughout our stay. The reception at the front desk was also pleasant and check-in went well.

We booked through booking.com for the first time and it was a good experience. I emailed the hotel after I made the reservation to ask for an extra twin bed, and the hotel responded immediately to the request and all of my questions.

We did not have an ocean view room but were happy with our clean and spacious room. We had three adults in the room for this portion of our stay (one queen/one twin) and the room was very comfortable for three. Our daughter and her girlfriend had an ocean view and we thought it would have been definitely worth the cost (although I didn't even think to ask for an ocean view at booking).

The hotel provides a great breakfast every morning as part of your stay. There are great sitting areas around the pool or facing the ocean.

The town is definitely walking distance from the hotel. We took a short taxi ride to Portofino and enjoyed a lovely dinner in a beautiful setting--a definite must-see if you haven't visited Portofino.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank cathyztravel
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Evertything works. From the arrival, the initiative of the porters to park your car, deliver your luggage, and at departure returning your car, convertible open as it was on arrival .... The concierge with his politeness and educated gentle diplomatic way was more than helpful recommending and advising where to go, all staff, be at the reception, arrival hall, restaurant, pool, or breakfast, are amongst the most professional I have come across. The hotel is immaculate. The saltwater pool great. It is definitely good value for money.
I will be back

Room Tip: Had a room to the back to the garden, which is beautyfull. I am sure the rooms to the sea are probab...
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The property looks beautiful; the setting is charming; the beach right across the road; tranquil gardens are very inviting; Portofino a pleasant boat ride away; and Cinque Terre easily accessible. The concierge was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable.
However, the reception desk was so efficient that they came across as being rude. I spent 30 minutes trying to attract a waiter's attention to order coffee on the terrace. The shower in the bath is always slippery and messy. And to top it all the airport style hairdryer is any woman's nightmare! While we enjoyed our stay, we didn't think it lived up to its Leading Hotel image.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Metropole
Metropole
#4 of 20 in Santa Margherita Ligure
Grand Hotel Bristol Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Hotel Miramare? Share your experiences!