“Amongst the best overall... good value for money”

Grand Hotel Miramare
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Evertything works. From the arrival, the initiative of the porters to park your car, deliver your luggage, and at departure returning your car, convertible open as it was on arrival .... The concierge with his politeness and educated gentle diplomatic way was more than helpful recommending and advising where to go, all staff, be at the reception, arrival hall, restaurant, pool, or breakfast, are amongst the most professional I have come across. The hotel is immaculate. The saltwater pool great. It is definitely good value for money.
I will be back

Room Tip: Had a room to the back to the garden, which is beautyfull. I am sure the rooms to the sea are probab...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Miramare

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The property looks beautiful; the setting is charming; the beach right across the road; tranquil gardens are very inviting; Portofino a pleasant boat ride away; and Cinque Terre easily accessible. The concierge was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable.
However, the reception desk was so efficient that they came across as being rude. I spent 30 minutes trying to attract a waiter's attention to order coffee on the terrace. The shower in the bath is always slippery and messy. And to top it all the airport style hairdryer is any woman's nightmare! While we enjoyed our stay, we didn't think it lived up to its Leading Hotel image.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked 5 hotels last month , but only with a Hotel Miramare I made an expensive mistake . When you start booking this hotel ,the web site shows that you are booking a room for two people , but when you are actually get a price , it switches you for single occupancy room . I did not notice that , and when we arrived we had to pay 375 euro per night instead if 250 euros . I checked this hotel on Expedia and it is clear what you are getting . I wrote a review on the hotel on Booking.com , but they published only positive part of my text and nothing about negative staff .
The hotel is old but well maintained and very nice , but does not have a private beach , you have to cross a road ( very noisy) if your room overlooking a sea . Place on the beach could be free when it is available , but it never is . I found that for that price we could stay in the Imperial , real Five star hotel with real private beach . Another good option is Continental Hotel , right on the sea.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking a garden are very quiet .
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tatiana K
GrandHotelMiramare, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Grand Hotel Miramare, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments on your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Miramare. We would like to address a couple of the issues that are highlighted in your review as follows:

Regarding the reservation on booking.com, we understand that at the beginning of the search you click on “2 people (1 room)”. Unfortunately, and this is not something that the hotel can change, the booking.com engine, even if the hotel does not have availability of double rooms for the dates requested, it does show you under the “AVAILABILITY” title the types of rooms that are. We have been extremely careful to name the rooms including the word “SINGLE” for a one-person maximum room, and this is reconfirmed on the booking.com site with the symbol of just 1 person under their title “MAX”. Even once you choose to continue with the booking, it continues to highlight that it is ONLY for just 1 person right by the photograph of the room. We are really sorry that you had an unexpected “surprise” in this regard.

Also we would like to clarify that the Grand Hotel Miramare is a 4 star hotel and is never advertised by us as a 5 star property.

We do not promote the beach as private as it is separately managed. No mention of it is included in the booking.com description as we want to avoid not meeting clients’ expectations. We only promote the services that the hotel can guarantee such as the sea-water pool with a view overlooking the sea. We, of course, will try our best to accommodate guests’ requests regarding the beach, but cannot guarantee it, especially during the months of July and August which is the top high season in the area.

We are really sorry again that your holiday at the Grand Hotel Miramare was not what you had expected and look forward to be able to remedy that in the future.

With best regards,

Ellen van Waveren
Guest Relations Desk
+39 0185 287013
miramare@grandhotelmiramare.it

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Junior Suite was spacious and so very comfortable. We had twin beds, ocean views, and a balcony. The breakfast included is excellent. Very fresh. Concierge and front desk were so helpful and professional. They never made you feel like you were imposing on them. Walking distance to town and try La Paranza family restaurant which is very near hotel for an authentic meal. The spa is definitely worth at least one massage during your stay. The ferry nearby will take you to Portofino in 15 minutes if you want a day trip to ogle the spectacular multi- million dollar yachts. Santa Margherita is a must stop if near Florence. Much prettier than Portofino and more to do. Driving time is about 2 hours. We loved this very convenient but a bit pricey hotel. WORTH IT THOUGH!!!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite with ocean view and balcony - The views are gorgeous. Morning sun. Happy hour on the v...
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

This was my 6th stay at this hotel and it's still my favourite place in the world. The hotel is a beautiful old style building set in gorgeous gardens with a wonderful view of the sea. It's so relaxing sitting on the terrace or by the pool and looking out over the Mediterranean. The rooms are tastefully decorated and kept very clean. The food in the restaurant is lovely and the service is professional, friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and cannot wait to return again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have just returned from my third stay at this hotel and look forward to returning many more times. The hotel is beautifully traditional with lots of charm but with all the modern comfort standards expected of one of the best hotels. It is in a wonderful location close to the town of Santa Margherita and also from here it is easy to make day trips to many other beautiful places around the coast. I cannot understand the reviewer Mark who thought it was 'terrible' and I do wonder if he was staying in a completely different hotel as his comments were incomprehensible to me. Yes it is a traditional hotel and I wouldn't expect bland beige rooms with 'in room entertainment' why would I when it is perfectly clear from the hotel web site just what to expect. Our room as always was very clean and comfortable with beautiful furniture and a comfy bed with luxury bedding, just to wake up in the morning and see the lovely pool and the sea is pure joy to me. The staff are always knowledgeable and professional and strive to help. As for having to wear trousers in the restaurant that is the hotel's prerogative and I applaud it, I don't want to sit on a chair in my best clothes when some sweaty legs have been smeared all over the seat. I can't wait to return to this wonderful hotel and cannot praise the staff enough.

2  Thank Hope48
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband and I have been in the travel industry for the past 20 years. We have been able to travel to many countries and have stayed in hundreds of the finest of hotels around the world. In fact on our current trip, The Grand Hotel Miramar is our tenth hotel since we left home on May 19. I have reviewed most of our hotels on Trip Advisor very highly, many with excellent ratings, however none deserves the highest of ratings more than this Grand Hotel Miramar.

Ample staff offers consistent and comforting eye-contact whenever that confused expression even begins to appear on my face. Questions are answered and needs are met in the most polite and responsive manner possible. Nothing seems to give the staff greater pleasure than to see that we are happy.

Our deluxe room with balcony provides a view of the Mediterranean that could be used as a setting in any romantic movie. The comfort and spaciousness of our suite is second best to the pleasure we receive from the private beach accommodations, the lovely and large pool area, and of course, the charming neighboring streets of Santa Margarita.

Skip quickly over any review you read to the contrary and focus only on the glowing remarks from the 99.999% of the rest of us who are overjoyed that we chose the Grand Hotel Miramar.

Room Tip: We love our deluxe room with water view and balcony
4  Thank janet g
#1 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure
Imperiale Palace Hotel
Imperiale Palace Hotel
#6 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Grand Hotel Miramare? Share your experiences!