“Not worth the money”

Imperiale Palace Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This says its a five star hotel but in any other country it would be three star. It's basically a rather faded grand old hotel and though in some ways perfectly decent - I found the staff perfectly pleasant with a friendly and helpful receptionist, and the breakfasts are good - but in others it just doesn't make the grade. Rooms are noisey, either due to the train at the back or the road in the front, they have none of the details you'd expect of a good hotel, and service is patchy (the bottle of champagne we ordered on arrival wasn't there.) The suites, while pleasant, were simply nowhere near worth 700 euro a night and we we're provided with the one we booked. We only stayed there as I couldn't afford the Splendido for the full three nights we were in the area - and I now wish I'd spent two rather than one there (it is stupidly stupidly expensive but you do at least feel you're somewhere very special and in a proper classy hotel) with a third night in some cosy b&b as now feel I totally wasted 1,400 euro!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank H_Alst0n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Augusta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I spent a few nights at the Imperiale Palace on a recent trip to Italy. It is privately owned and it shows in how the staff treats you! We had an amazing room overlooking the Ligure Sea. The hotel staff was fabulous, the breakfast that is free with your stay was awesome, the bar perfect for cocktail and the restaurant was 5 star. The hotel is located hillside just a minutes walk to town. The beach and pool are great for lunch, sunning, swimming or just people watching. The outdoor dining patio is sexy and breathtaking. Great restaurants in town just a stroll away. Day trips to Portofino ( bus) and The Cinque Terre (train) are simple and quick. If we visit Santa Margherita again we will stay at the Palace. Did I mention great massages too at Spa.

Room Tip: Get water view higher floor!
santa rosa
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our third stay at the Imperiale Palace. The room was beautiful. The view was spectacular from our room just like always. But then the experience started going downhill. Our experience with the lifeguards at the beach was quite shocking compared to past experiences where service was always five star treatment. One day we chose one set of lounge chairs and the lifeguard wanted us to sit in some others. I'm not exactly sure why. But it displeased him so much he threw our towels down on the lounge chairs and walked away. As for drink service at beach side. It was only if you found the employee on the rare occasion he walked down there. He never stopped and asked if you wanted a drink or food. No Menus were ever provided. Even though most guest were bringing in their own drinks from elsewhere due to the crazy prices the hotel was charging for drinks (Soda's 10 Euro's, Alcoholic Beverages 25 Euro's per drink). A simple lunch at poolside cost roughly 125 - 150 Euro's. This hotel has slipped from a 5 star hotel to a tarnished 3 star hotel. And shame on them for charging these insulting prices on simple items like sodas and espresso.

1 Thank vicmoon
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Hubby and me wanted to make the 2 days in Portofino unforgettable, that's why we selected this hotel. There was only one room left and it was defined as "room at ground level". However, as soon as we entered the room, we were frustrated as it was "underground level". We wanted to upgrade our room, but it was fully booked that weekend. We learned from the management that there are only few rooms like this. My question to the management was: is it worth to distort your image for the sake of selling these few rooms? The hotel is very beautiful with a great location, private beach. The hotel should close and not sell these few underground rooms. If we knew that the room was this terrible; the so said "french bed" was a poor combination of 2 single beds with a hole in the middle, with a zero oxygen, humid air, no sun and awful odor, so noisy - that you think the motorcylces are passing over your head, garbage next to your window, no matter how beautiful it is, we would never chose this hotel. At the end of the day, ALL the rooms in a 5 star hotel should represent the quality of a 5 star hotel. The quality difference being so significant is not acceptable.

4 Thank Ahugurel
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

this is a very beautiful building with great views and a nice private beach but the service was poor... The personal at the reception and restaurants were trying to be helpful but the life guards at he beach and pool were very rude and unprofessional. They only capable of ruining your time during the day on the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank yummy1207
Denver
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here last-minute in a Jr. ocean view suite. It was pretty much the only hotel room available in Santa Margherita when I made the reservation on a Saturday morning for that weekend and was very expensive (E600/nt). The room was beautiful and had a small balcony with two chairs where you could sit and watch the boats come and go. The nicest and largest bathroom I've seen in Italy, and it had a large, luxurious bathtub and separate shower. Someone at the hotel realized it was my birthday, and when I came back to the room that night a bottle of champagne and a Happy Birthday cake were waiting in the room - a really nice, and much appreciated touch. The breakfast in the morning was good, included champagne, and the tables were set out on a beautiful balcony. Also, the hotel helped arrange to have a rental car dropped at the hotel so we didn't have to take a taxi or train to one of the larger towns in the area for pickup.
All that said, I don't think the hotel was worth the price paid. They say there is free wireless, but no wireless networks showed up in my hotel room, meaning I had to sit by the elevators or in the lobby to access the internet. I don' t think this was an isolated problem because I saw others doing the same. They have a computer available to guests, but during the two days I was there I could never get the internet to work, and the staff didn't seem too interested in remedying the problem. The hotel has a nice "beach" area and supposedly will serve you drinks and food there, but during two hours spent down there I never saw a server (perhaps it was off-hours since it was after lunch). For the amount of money spent, I expected much more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank DnvrTraveler
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a five star hotel, and they do deserve the stars!

We went here with our son (5 y) and we did feel that he was very welcome.

The hotel gives you a feeling of the great Hollywood movies from the early days.
It's quite expensive (660 € for a jr. suite) but it's worth it.

They have a very nice park towards the "beach" (the "beach" is the perfect italian riviera experience). The walk is as the movies.

The service is as you can expect of a top star hotel.

The air con is not that good so if your in the high season, a tip is to book an external air con.

The lunch at the beach restaurant is VERY good, the best spaghetti Vongole I had - ever!

My wife had some spa treatments, and according to her it was some of the best she has had.

PS everything is expensive, but then again - if you can afford to stay here, you can't (or want) think of that at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#4 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure
Lido Palace Hotel
Lido Palace Hotel
#12 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Imperiale Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!