“Five star location but...”

Imperiale Palace Hotel
Reviewed August 13, 2011

A wonderful location with a fantastic private rocky 'beach' looking out over the bay. Also a great terrace and good breakfast. Having said that, the rest of the experience is so-so. Staff v helpful but not enough of them. Restaruant way over priced and average (wine too). I heard it has a new owner who sees it as a money machine. My room was a junior suite. Actually a normal double room with - it has to be said - amazing view. The busy road that separates hotel from the beach is artfully disguised in the website pictures. That said, there's a bridge over the road and I wasnt aware of any noise during the night. Come on, Imperiale, up your game, you could be an amazing hotel if you really cared.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank david_pearl

Reviewed July 1, 2011

Our family loved loved loved it here. Yes it is very expensive. but so beautiful and elegant. Our kids loved the pool, fun to go in the ocean. It is the perfect example of old world european elegance. We were lucky that the school in italy were not out so the town, hotel and pool were not that crowded. Lovely breakfast. The staff was very nice and helpful. they didnt have maps to give us to get to restaurants - that was the only thing that would have been helpful. I look forward to returning - it was the most relaxing part of our European adventure.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We were in this hotel with my husband and my child for a short trip...we wanted a heated pool for my daughter....We arrived in a huge oldy hotel, with a poor reception service, bad information, very very old garniture....and so cold atmosphere my god!!! it looked like this hotel hasn't changed since years 1960 !!!It looked like the hotel in the film La Vita è Bella.....60 years ago! poor insonorisation, we could hear every floor, we could see light under the room door!...No electric plug!!! just one at the floor level, impossible to have it switched with the phone battery if opening the door , because no space for the door ! Bathroom was correct and clean. Bead was comfortable.
The petit déjeuner was poor too : only 2 kinds of bread... There were 3 varieties of cheese. Croissants with jame , pains au chocolat, muffins. Salmon and eggs. Poor fresh fruits. Natural Yogurts only. Fruit juices and water. Cereals, milk. That's all. Nothing to see with 5 stars hotel I've been before : OLD OLD OLD!!!! and Cold atmosphere, above all in the dining room!!!
Beautiful view from the terrace and beuatiful garden. BUT, the swiming pool water was so cold that we could not use it! we brought our daughter for the pool!!! the private sea shore was interesting, but no sand, impossible for the child to play there! Restaurant : We paid 28 euros for ONE club sandwich!and it was small. and 7 euros for a bottle of water....
We asked to live earlier, but they did'nt arrange it, even though my daughter was ill and my husband sick ! The reception was poor, no real answer to our claims, this is definetly NOT a 5 stars, I would put 3 stars. I won't return there!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank liliwell
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I booked this hotel despite it being double the price of other 5 stars in the vicinity as I wanted a very special hotel to celebrate my husband's birthday. This was a surprise present and I wanted to be sure the quality and service would not disappoint. Alas, this was not to be and here is why.
Externally the hotel has a wow factor, fantastic imposing position and a beautiful building
The reception area is nice, not great, but with no wow factor or flowers
All the staff give a basic service, rarely with a smile, and there is an almost dour attitude
The room key didn't fit the lock accurately and it sometimes took 5 minutes to enter our room - despite complaining - nothing was done and it materialised that it was already known to the staff - previous guests had complained too!
The pool/beach area was okay, nothing special - and noisy maintenance was carried out whilst we were trying to relax
It was impossible to get a snack by the pool on arrival (3pm) as the chef had gone off duty - Some very stale peanuts, cheesy biscuits and olives were produced
After being promised a hand held hair dryer soon after arrival (2pm) (I have an aversion to elephant trunk hair dryers). I was then told on return from the pool at 5pm that I would have to wait until the next day as the store cupboard had been locked for the night. After a big fuss (who needs that on a romantic break) they managed to find the key and the hair dryer arrived.
The air conditioning in the room did not work and it was impossible to sleep with the window open as the hotel (like most on the Italian Riviera) is on the main road. I was told this was because it had only just turned warm in the last few days!
The rooms have basic shampoo and bath wash only. Not even basic body lotions provided by most 4 stars! When I asked for some body lotion, two small cheap and nasty little bottles arrived for my 3 night stay
The breakfast was adequate during the 3 night stay, but on the Sunday morning - when the hotel had more guests following a wedding - a truly five star breakfast was on offer!
Complaints to all staff were greeted with an air of complacency - a request to meet the manager of the hotel was ignored and a meeting with the Manager of front desk given and on insistence a meeting with the Assistant Manager who was totally unsympathetic, but did agree that perhaps they should offer a few more cosmetics in the rooms!
My advice, DON't stay here - it is very high on price, very low on service and a great disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Yvonne W
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Ultimate luxury, very convenient location for bathing, dining, and travel to Cinque Terre (by train) and Portofino (by boat).

Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Imperiale is rated a top notch hotel and it is excellent. We did not have a view in our room but we selected the least expensive option which still was close to $500/nite. The rooms were nice but not overly luxurious. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated.
Service was excellent all around, especially in their pool/beach side. For the price you get to reserve a lounge chair, towels & umbrella to relax with a great view & a section of the ocean is corridored off- complete with a small lagoon. The rocks are great for sheltering against any waves. There is no sand area here.
The food in the restaurant is very good. The service is a bit stuffy but not overly so. The bees were annoying but everyone seemed used to it. The included breakfast is standard European.
Location to the main shopping area is close but be prepared to hike back up the hill. Don't take the cab to nearby Portinfino- rip off.
Overall a nice place for luxury but it is not over the top like a Ritz Carlton which is 5 stars in my rating.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This hotel is quite expencive and I still can´t decide whetherI think it is worth it or not. This year I paid 320 euros per night for a double room with a sea view. Last year I paid for sea view and got parking lot view. The room was much larger though so i didn´t complain.
The hotel is really beatiful on the outside. Very luxurious.
It has a salt water pool that was great with sun deck chairs around it and an area by the water side where they allso have chairs. To get to the pool and to the ocean you walk over a small bridge through a beatiful small garden. It is possible to order food down by the water side. It takes forever though to get the food.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
The reason I am hesitant is because of the rooms. They haven´t put much effort into the decor and the bed is way too hard. I feel that for a hotel this expencive I want the room to be more than just ok. The rooms have no wow-factor like the outside have. However, everything else is perfect and the town is small but charming. Portofino is allso just a short drive away.
It takes about ten minutes to walk down to Santa Margherita. There you can find several restaurants and small shops.
In this area this is probably one of the best hotels.
If you go here order the Bellini and have one dinner at the hotel.
When ordering food and drinks be sure to write down what you order. They allways get it wrong.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
#4 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure
Lido Palace Hotel
Lido Palace Hotel
#12 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Imperiale Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!