“Have the veg and a pudding”
Review of Il Nostromo

Il Nostromo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We agree with all of the other rave reviews. The food is simple but perfectly executed. It MIGHT have verged on slightly too simple and uneventful (at least what we ordered) but for the best plate of side veg I've ever eaten and an amazing pud.

They really care about your experience here and it is very reasonable priced.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We found this restaurant through Tripadvisor and the reviews were spot on. This quaint restaurant in a small alley in SML had a menu just large enough to please everyone but not so large to risk anything not being incredibly fresh. Their home made pasta was sublime but the pistachio encrusted Amberjack was the star of the meal. Our only complaint was that the room was a little warm.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This family ran restaurant is stashed away in a small alley in SML. The mother and 2 brothers who ran the place knows how to cook and share their Ligurian speciality.

The server who greats and serve you is very nice and explains the dish very well. Trust him and let him serve the degustation dinner and you will not be sorry.

Food is elegantly prepared and quite tasty. Real Italian. Copierto of 7.50 Euro.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Il Nostromo offers a top of the notch dining experience. Of all of the places we ate in Liguria during this trip it is by far the most memorable. I have traveled quite extensively throughout Italy and can also say that it is one of the best I have had period, throughout my travels. There is something to be said about simple preparation of food, where the true characteristics of the ingredients are really allowed to shine through on their own, without being smothered by seasonings and spices and sauces. The restaurant itself is very intimate and romantic. There are only a few tables. I think my friend and I were the only non-couple. From start to finish, every course was a home run - creative, fresh and beautifully presented. You can really understand passion for cooking and food when you dine at a place like this - where the people who own and prepare the food care so much about what they are doing and are so passionate about sharing that passion and experience with the diner. These brother's know what they are doing. The service was wonderful. Very friendly, attentive and accommodating. I had the prosciutto and melone as an app. Woah....the tenderest meat and sweetest melt in your mouth melon I have ever tasted. My friend had the tartare, which was also outstanding, visually as well as in terms of aroma and taste. For the entree I had a pistachio crusted fish atop some fresh vegetables. The Veggies were very simply but perfectly prepared - lightly seasoned, not overdone and vibrant in color. And the fish....oh the fish, marvelous. I have never had this type of fish before, but what a winner, cooked to pure perfection. It was moist on the inside and the pistachio crust added a wonderfully earthy and ever so slight sweetness as well as texture. Lastly, dessert - I didn't think that they could possibly top the fish, but the tiramisu I had was outstanding. Our server (one of the owners) had made it that morning. It had a little spin on it - using chocolate cookies instead of the typical lady fingers and a raspberry sauce, served in a tiny mason jar. It was like opening a gift!!! What a fantastic presentation.
Thank you Il Nostromo for the best meal of our 2 week trip. It was an absolutely unforgettable meal and experience. I will be on the look out for you to open a restaurant in NYC! I would definitely be your best customer!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We've gone to Italy over the past 15 years and it's pretty easy to find 'good' food so measuring up to what I said about this being the best in Liguria I would say the best I've had in Italy. Reason is simple, it's not just freshest, local ingredients but the creativity and presentation is truly an art. Niccolo and his brother are superb hosts, Niccolo being very interested in what he's doing and passes that on to his clients. His brother is a master. Don't miss this. We went in June while visiting Santa Margherita for the first time and came BACK to Italy in September and made a special visit just to go to Il Nostromo again!