“Il Convento”

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Rapallo
Canberra, Australia
“Il Convento”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We spent two weeks at Il Convento, and it was a wonderful time for us. The location so close to the town centre, the railway for our day excursions, and the corso for promenading, was perfect. Our appartment was always spotlessly clean, and the staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. It was our best holiday ever.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Just a short walk from the station and with fantastic views of the waterfront, this was a great place to base our few days on the Ligurian coast. We enjoyed the independence of having our own small kitchen and used this as an opportunity to try some of the delicious local products. The ferry to Portofino was less than five minutes walk away and we were spoilt for choice when it came to local bars and restaurants. With friendly and helpful hosts, il Convento was an excellent choice for us.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank MarGoNewZealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Great little hotel. Clean and friendly. The owner personally parked my car in a special space. Short walk to everything the town has to offer. Cute spots overlooking water for coffee. Really enjoyed the stay .

• Stayed October 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just returned from a lovely stay here. Affordable and comfortable with happy helpful staff. Location could not be better, walkable to all places you could want to go in Rapallo and just a 10 minute walk to the train/bus station for days further afield. Billa supermarket near station is close enough for essentials, but lots of small interesting shops close to hand for most needs. Bakery just a little further up the street opens 8am and is good. Gelateria just opposite!

Il Convento is comfortable. Was a little concerned at first about bed/settee, but there was no need, it was comfy and made a kingsize bed. Shutters kept the room dark. Air conditioning quiet and worked efficiently. Everything you could need in the room. Perfectly adequate kitchen (though no full size conventional oven) Full size fridge and dishwasher. Clean tiled bathroom with white towels which were changed regularly. Plenty hot water.

It was a delight to come out the door each morning to be greeted with the view across the harbour. Rapallo is a great Italian town and Il Convento made it affordable for us.

Room Tip: We had a room at the side, but a front room with a view of the harbour would have been great. But yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Serendipity_5555
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Was there for the april bank holiday. Nice and comfortable accomodation close to the beach and the tower. Quiet area, it's nice to wake up with the sea-shore sound!
It is Not far from the train station, which was perfect for taking the train for visiting 'cinque terre'.
Probably the only one with reasonable price in Rapallo.
The only Negative point is the parking: no parking space basically as the hotel car park is always full. The price per day is also pretty high. Only option is to park at the public car park for 10€/day.

I would recommend having breakfast at one of the nice bar in the pedestrian area instead of the hotel.

Overall good accomodation, I will defineyely consider in my next stays in Rapallo.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank giomaut
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed here with our 14 year old son. A great apartment in terrific location and close to Cinque Terre (while far enough away to enjoy some quiet time as well). We will definitely come back here an highly recommend it to anyone looing into this region.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 2bshaw
Sherman Oaks, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stay in Rapallo frequently to visit my wife’s family here and in Genoa. As such, we have stayed in a number of Rapallo hotels now (and a couple of apartments as well). I think it gives us a pretty good perspective on the town and the hotel market. We first toured this hotel four years ago on a visit were we got stuck with an awful vacation rental (so bad I would never use that GoBello agency ever again – actually I didn’t pick it, a relative of my wife’s did). We finally decided to stay here. We have stayed at the Tigullio Royal, Hotel L’Approdo, and Hotel Lido and Italia (see my reviews on each here on TripAdvisor), and enjoyed them (L’Approdo more than the Tigulio Royal or the Lido and Italia – but I will let you read the reviews). But I really think we were missing out on this side of the harbor. The side of the harbor where the Il Convento is located has none of the bad traffic and noise of the Tigulio Royal and is way more centrally located than the L’Approdo (which is actually in San Michele di Pagana). It is close to the shops and restaurants in “centro” Rapallo, as well as the grocery store (now Billa), TWO nice parks for kids to play and across the street from a nice little beach that my four year old loved – played with a lot of little local kids. He also loved the pool (which he called the hotel pool, but it is really a standalone beach club across the street. It has a really nice restaurant and the pool is only €7 for a lounge chair (“bed” as they call it). There is also a gelato place across the street from the Convento – what more could a 4 year old ask for. I liked this place a lot -- I think we might have found a new home in Rapallo.

We had the biggest room size and didn’t really know what to expect (bi-locale as they say on the website). It was on the top floor overlooking the water with a large living room / dining room / kitchenette area, and an almost equally large bedroom with a large (King/Queen, “matrimonial” bed, which is two beds put together – matched up well in this case). The bathroom was nice with a small standup shower enclosure with sliding doors. A bath tub might have been a nice addition with a child, but it worked out fine. The fold out bed works, but I found it really not comfortable – others on here say its fine, so it’s a subjective thing. We had it for our son, but he managed to get into our bed every night, so we stopped trying to use the foldout. I must way that the bed was big enough that it wasn’t a big deal to share the bed – which is something to say for an Italian hotel. It is hard to figure out the kitchen from the website, so I will mention that it has a refrigerator/freezer, gas cooktop and microwave, dishwasher, but no oven. The outfitting was with nice new-ish Ikea plates, silverware, and cooking utensils. There is even a little two cup espresso pot – which we used every day. When I asked for a spatchula, I was given a brand new set of Ikea cooking utensils the same day.

Service was pretty good. English is spoken well enough to communicate (kinda like the website and email exchange). The staff is friendly enough, but not overly so. One should be aware that the elevator is on the second floor and up, so stairs are required to reach it (important tip if you have a lot of luggage or have problems with stairs). The manager was nice in helping us carry luggage up to the elevator floor. I asked for a discount since we were staying a week, but was told that discounts were only for two weeks or more (that’s a lot of time in Rapallo – so that probably doesn’t happen that much). We paid the website price. For comparison see my review of the Hotel Lido E Italia which was exactly the same price for a “sea view” room, but none of the great space and kitchen facilities (although you get a breakfast – which is frankly of dubious value there).
The ceiling has a nice painted fresco on it and is double high on this floor (or so it seemed). We loved having out windows open to the breeze – we were there in mid-May, so I can’t comment on the need or availability of air conditioning. The windows are huge and we kept them closed when we were not in the room with our 4 year old – who probably wouldn’t have crawled out on the ledge, but could have. We didn’t want to have an Eric Clapton situation.
At night everything can be closed up tight – with the shutters closed it is a totally dark cave. So be careful – you can sleep all day with the jet lag and the quiet dark condition. Strangely – although it has no bearing on the hotel itself, the fountain across the street seems to have recorded frog sounds to go along with the frog theme of the fountain. This starts at night and goes until at least 3:00 AM. I am not sure why they do that, but I could hear it in the bedroom unless the windows and shutters were closed – an even then I could faintly hear it.
My only real complaint is the cleanliness of the floor. Our feet were absolutely black from walking around on the floor. My wife and son started to wear shoes everywhere when not in bed or the shower. Its strange for several reasons. Firstly the rest of the place looks and is really very clean. The towels were nice and fresh as were the kitchen linens – which were replaced nicely even more frequently that stated in the “rules.” Although, I have to say that the towels smelled very strongly of vinegar – which is an issue in varying degrees at hotels in Rapallo. These are pretty strong – like a salt and vinegar potato chip. Secondly, it really isn’t very hard to clean the floor – its tile. I mentioned it to the cleaning lady after a few days and she claimed that since the tile is not totally smooth, it can’t be cleaned well – which, of course, is total BS. But I have learned that the Italians have a quick answer for everything, even if it is a totally ridiculous response. I had dripped a small drop on chocolate one night (jet lag hours) under the dining table and it was there for a couple of days, so I am not so sure the attempt was made. Also, we saw her basically “dusting” the floor in another room. We did see a bucket and mop in the elevator – again (really strong!) vinegar smell. She mentioned a few days after I spoke to her that we bought special soap to try to clean the floor (not sure why special soap might be required, or that even the mention of cleaning the floor is required, but there you go). It was a little cleaner after that – feet not quite as coal black, but still not squeaky clean. Just strange given the overall running of the hotel – which was very good.

Overall – we like it and will likely be back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family