“Great little hotel”

Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Rapallo
London
“Great little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over Easter, and it is in a great location on the seafront at Rapallo. The room was a nice size with a decent bathroom and the breakfast was plentiful. The staff we encountered were all very helpful, and gave us some useful recommendations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ajfvr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bucharest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We've been here in 2007 during the Genoa Boat Show and everything was perfect. A small hotel, not so many rooms, but you feel like at your home - I traveled a lot but I didn't find something similar.
My gratitude for that small team and a promise; next time when I will be in Rapallo, please prepare one room for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view - your morning will be much better when you open the window
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked a short five day break in Rapallo because a friend had been there recently and recommended it as a place to visit. We required a decent hotel near the centre of the town and after a search we decided that the Astoria fitted the bill. We were not disappointed. It was in an ideal position, near the seafront and easy walking distance of lots of good restaurants and bars. We had a room overlooking the sea with a large private terrace. The room was a good size with a decent sized bathroom, with a bath & shower & scrupulously clean. The owners, Alessandro & Sara, were the most hospitable, charming and helpful hosts I have come across. They suggested several places to eat [no meals served in the Hotel apart from breakfast] all of which were not only good but reasonably priced. The Nettuno, Elite and Amici restaurants we would recommend. The Elite was very friendly with a personal touch, Nettuno amazing value, and the Amici good but slightly more expensive. A great place to visit & a great Hotel to stay in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gray_cSurrey
Reno NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We found the staff and view at this hotel to be amazing.
They were incredibly friendly and easy to speak to , helpful with any information you could want.
Room itself is large open and airy with plenty of outlets and storage space.
We had a sea view room with a large terrace (room 102)
The bath is small, but usable, the only place I had an issue was when entering and exiting the shower as it butts up against the bidet.
The breakfast in the morning is good and enough to keep you through lunch.
The location is exceptional as there are shops bars and restaurants a few steps away.
Right now the hotel is renovating so there was a bit of power tool noise during the day and into the evening, this only bothered us on the 1 day it rained and we were doing a hotel/movie day.
I'm sure once renovations are complete the hotel will be truly amazing and I will no longer be able to afford to stay there :) .

• Stayed February 2013
Thorold, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was my 3rd trip to Rapallo but our first time at Astoria. I cannot recommend this place enough. Alessandro and staff went out of their way to accommodate our young family. The rooms were clean, (renovations are planned in the near future) and had all amenities needed. There was a great breakfast, and the best cappuccino in the city. The location couldn't be better, with views of the Riviera, and within walking distance to shops and cafés. After renovations are complete, this might be a six star hotel! By the level of service we received, we could tell that the staff took pride in their jobs. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 2006torino
hotelastoriarapallo, General Manager at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for having spent some of your time in writing such a nice review about us. We really appreciate your compliments about our staff, hotel's areas and cappuccino! We are all willing to make our guests feel at home and we are very happy when our efforts and enthusiasm are understood.
We strongly hope to meet all your family here, after the second floor's renewals.
Best regards
Sara
melb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

As a (now retired)travel features writer & photographer, it remains my custom to cast a still critical eye over the 'clientele' whenever I am back 'on the road'.

Recently, after weeks of sedate backpacking, my wife talked me into the 'reward' of a 4 star hotel experience on the Italian Riviera.

So,I arrived at the little boutique Hotel Astoria in Rapallo (just east of Portofino), prepared to be critical.

However, what I received was 5 star treatment in a 4 star hotel at 3 star prices.

The moment we stepped through the seafront doors, the pampering commenced.

From the more than well-appointed suite to the grand epoch dining room with its grand epoch style breakfast 'spread', Hotel Astoria took the points.

Having a balcony 'room with a view' of a classic sweep of Tyrrhenian seascape helped of course.

However, what really got the place over the line in comparison with the often exceptional Italian accommodation of the previous weeks was that each member of the compact group of management & staff took it upon themselves to make us feel at 'home' in their home.

Beyond the professional attention, they worked to welcome us as valued members of the extended family.

We finished our stay in the high spirits of a personalised send off, and then, on the train to Nice, I managed to idiotically erase the entire photo record of our trip thus far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it was then, in despair, that I remembered I had also accidentally left a copy on the courtesy main desk computer at the Astoria.

Management there competently & caringly worked to help me solve the problem long distance (their time & expense), managing to save our holiday ( & my skin!).

In a globalised service industry, one gets inured to the variations between cool professionalism & passive resentment. The feeling of warm regard in which we were held ( & later assisted) by the staff at the Astoria was a real highlight.

To my dismay, in preparing this piece for Trip Advisor, I have discovered from researching numerous other posts, that the owners Alessandro & Sandra treat all their guests like 'family'.

And there I was thinking I was special!

pete G

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are great &- significantly- quiet,but ones at the front have fine views...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peter g
hotelastoriarapallo, Owner at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Peter,
thank you very much for remembering about us and for your gorgeous review. It has been a pleasure to host you and your wife in our hotel and to help you with your photos later on. We try to make all our guests feel special and "at home" and when we manage to, it is such a satisfaction.
We hope to have the chance to meet you again here and in the meanwhile we send you our best regards!
Sara&Alessandro
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times and have been delighted each time. The rooms are plain and simple, but clean and very comfortable as well.

They have upgraded the WI-FI and it is now free and work much better than before.

Of course one of the best things about the hotel is the welcome and the friendliness of the hotel staff.

Oh how could I forget! The location is excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
we would like to thank you for your staying with us another time and we really appreciate your nice comments on the improvements we have tried to make (such as the free and unlimited wi-fi connection in all the hotel's areas) with our "new" management. The "improving"process has just begun and we hope next time you choose to spend some time with us, you will have the chance to appreciate something more.
In the meanwhile, we send your our best regards from Rapallo!

Sara&Alessandro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rapallo
BEST WESTERN Tigullio Royal
#7 of 29 in Rapallo
Hotel Villa Anita
Hotel Villa Anita
#2 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Hotel Astoria? Share your experiences!