Hotel Piccolo Portofino
$841
$816
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Regina Elena(Santa Margherita Ligure)(Great Value!)
$220
  • Beachfront
Grand Hotel Miramare(Santa Margherita Ligure)
$401
$369
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villa Anita(Santa Margherita Ligure)(Great Value!)
$222
$175
Official Site
Hotel Minerva(Santa Margherita Ligure)(Great Value!)
$185
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
Hotel Eden(Portofino)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate beachsea viewsmall bayminute walkpedestrian pathred carpetbeach barsmall hotelsanta margheritaamazing hotelstayed longerthe hotel staffbusy roadrooms are largeshower roomsun loungerspark your car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Piccolo hotel is located right on (and I do mean right on) the road into the center of Portofino. It is a quick 5 minute walk down a pretty footpath behind the hotel.
At first I managed to miss the hotel and ended up parking in the center, about a 3rd of a mile away. After a cab wanted 35 Euro to go 2 mins I went back, got the car and found the hotel myself. The hotel was easy to check in with guest parking that can be used to unload, then the valet your car.
The building was clean, the staff were polite, wifi, cooling, TV all worked well. Bed was comfortable. The room was very modern.
The highlight of the property is the ocean side garden in front of the hotel. Very pretty and quiet.
We were only here one night and didnt get chance to try any food.
I would like to return to portfolio, and if I do, I would give this place a go again.

1  Thank Chrisb321
Domina P, Manager at Hotel Piccolo Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear customer,
thank you for the nice comment.
We are happy that your stay was to his liking, we hope to have you back with us again, if possible for more days in order to appreciate our cuisine, inspired by the tradition of Liguria with the catch of the day, one of our strong points.
See you soon.
The Director

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This lovely hotel is where you want to be in Portofino. The view, room, staff and beach are all fantastic. Yes, it is a short scenic stroll into town. If you like exploring, this is a great location. My husband and I walked everywhere...even to Santa Margherita where you can catch a boat to Cinque Terre. We cannot wait to go back!

2  Thank Marie C

Dear customer,
thank you for the nice review.
We are happy to be able to immerse themselves in nature and scents of the Mediterranean. We look forward to make you live again the rare beauty of the Ligurian Riviera.
See you soon.

The Director

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

One of my favourite hobbies is reading 1 star reviews on Trip Advisor before I go somewhere and seeing just how deluded some people are when it comes to this kinda thing.

So ill write this as a series of answers to the bad reviews.

1) Location, The hotel is 10 mins walk from central Portofino. This is very close unless you are very very lazy. The walk is on a dedicated path above the hotel and nowhere near the busy little road. The walk is also Lovely lined with flowers and an amazing view.
The person that moaned that you have to cross the road to get to the private Beach is correct. However this takes from door of hotel to beach entrance (and I'm not making this up) 5 seconds. Besides which not sure how you alter the. Geography of the region to avoid a 5 second walk. The car park is a little walk, but that's because your on a cliff on a peninsula. That's why it's beautiful and why people come here in the bloody first place. I'm sure the Ritz Carlton Orlando has a much more convenient car park if that's your thing.

Staff

Have been nothing but awesome and helpful to the point that they gave my kid a lift to the hotel on the suitcase trolly from the car park and fussed him a the way.

Breakfast.

Is (at least on my booking) free and is continental. Having run the gauntlet of continental breakfasts this is in the top 30% and has everything from Coco Pops to Scrambeled eggs, from salami to Cheese, warm bread and pots of fresh coffee, juice etc. not sure what people expect really.

Leading to.....

Comparisons with Hotel Splendido et al

Let's get this clear.

I paid 200 pounds a night for my room for 3 people in this hotel with breakfast and a private beach.

Splendido starts at 525 pounds a night and is mostly a heck of a lot more than that. Of course service is better, and ambience etc etc. what do you expect? It's one of the leading hotels in the world. However I won't spend probably 1000 euros a night on a room I will be mostly in to sleep and am not really interested in spending 25 euros a cocktail even if they are amazing. Plus which the beach the Splendio guests get use of is this hotels beach only 10 mins further up the hill.

In short this hotel is great value and a really nice place to be.

The beach is pebbled but dear god that's the geography! But it's also private, beautiful complete with mini waterfalls and amazing snorkelling.

Ill be back.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank DavidBianchi
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived after a very long day of traveling to find ourselves in an upgraded room that had a breathtaking view of the Portofino harbor! What a wonderful surprise! Our room was spacious with a large bed, desk, and separate sitting room. My husband and I appreciated that there were two closets as well. Unlike other reviews, we found the bed to be very comfortable, but we prefer a firm mattress for its back support. We enjoyed the complimentary spring or sparkling water and cookies in the lobby each afternoon. We were on the second floor, which had convenient street access. The hotel is not located right on the harbor, but it is just a five-minute walk on a charming stone walkway through a quiet residential section to reach the harbor, and we preferred having the vantage point looking at the harbor. Portofino is beautiful, with a wide selection of high-quality restaurants and shops, friendly local townspeople, and plenty to do and see. While there are many high-end choices in Portofino for shopping and dining, it also has more affordable options. We stayed for 5 nights and wish we had stayed longer! We took day trips to Santa Margherita Ligure, Cinque Terre, and San Fruttuoso. We did not have a car. Bus connections weren't as reliable as we would have liked, but we made it work and it was part of the adventure! Overall we loved this hotel and our stay in Portofino and we can't wait to come back and stay again at the Piccolo Hotel!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are spectacular! If you are going to be staying for several nights, we recommend a room with views and more space.
2  Thank LLov314
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Check-in was very efficient. Before we knew it, the car was emptied and we were in our room. The hotel takes care of the car parking. Maybe it was even a bit too efficient, because there wasn't too much explanation about the place and the possibilities.
The hotel rooms are very nice, since they obviously have been recently renovated.
We encountered some minor issues (bed linen a bit dirty and hairs in the shower) and they were solved right away.
The great feature of the hotel is the beach they have across the road. Very quiet and peaceful and a nice area of the sea to swim in. Also from the hotel, there is a nice walking path that takes you in no time to the center of Portofino.
During the evenings there was a very friendly and nice Italian receptionist. He honestly told us he liked the Splendido for the service there (for which you pay a lot of $$$ as well) and added: "but they don't have me". And he was probably right.
Check-out was also efficient, in 10 minutes the car was there. It was a bit remarkable that nobody came to assist with the luggage though.

Room Tip: If you'd like to have a view, book a room with sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple