“Amazing hotel”

Belmond Hotel Splendido
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portofino
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Me spent our one year wedding anniversary and 30th birthday celebration at Splendido. We stayed at the location in town (Splendido Mare) and were happy with our decision. We were upgraded to a wonderful suite with a patio overlooking the bay with all of the yachts and activity. The room was delightfully furnished and filled with fresh fruit daily. We found it fun to travel between the two locations and the hotel shuttle was easy and always available. Hotel Splendido above the town has incredible views - we could have spent days simply sitting by the pool drinking rose, soaking in the sun, and admiring the view. The service was impeccable. I can't think of anything that should be changed. It was an amazing experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RAC1313

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Splendido and my parents-in-law stayed at Splendido Mare. We all loved staying here and yet again Orient Express group have not let us down. The walk from Hotel to Hotel is fun and if you are feeling lazy the Hotel has a shuttle service. We loved Portofino in general.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Teamtf1
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I am very late in posting my review so apologies but have just been looking through the photographs of our wonderful stay here and remembered I still needed to do this.
We stayed for ten days in June of last year to celebrate our wedding and honeymoon, following a visit for our first holiday together a few years earlier when we fell in love with Portofino and the Hotel Splendido. Our room was upgraded to a beautiful suite with a terrace and sea view and I can honestly say that everything was perfect for us from the moment we checked in to the moment we (very sadly) departed - so much so I was actually in tears as we drove away down the winding path to the village! This hotel has a slightly faded but still beautiful old world charm and glamour - if you want ultra luxe and modern this hotel is not for you but the rooms are very pretty and well equipped with everything you could need and the huge bed was amongst the most comfortable I have slept in. AND you get to wake up with the sunshine streaming through the shutters to the gorgeous sound of the songbirds resident in the surrounding cypress tress. The location is second to none and the staff are friendly and attentive and really cannot do enough for you. Our parents were guests for a shorter time at the sister hotel in the harbour, the Splendido Mare, and were equally well looked after.
The hotel is very expensive in every regard but we knew this before we visited and so should you - I think you need to make a decision to accept that if you stay here and then sit back and enjoy it!
Dinner at La Terrazza outside on the terrace if weather permits is a must and the sublime Ligurian speciality of linguini with pesto, potatoes and green beans is unforgettable - I simply cannot recreate it despite my best efforts!
I cannot think of anywhere we would rather have celebrated our wedding and honeymoon and special thanks go to Carlo Lazzeri and his team for helping to make our day so perfect - we very much hope to be able to return soon to this magical location and to stay at this wonderful hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan T
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed 3 nites at this hotel which we booked thru amex . I should have known there would be problems when we wear first told we would have half board in the reservation and then my travel agent said the hotel said that would not be the case ! I thought perhaps that would change when we arrived but it wasn't. We had a lovely room with a balcony in the lower hotel I asked about the splendido boat being available for guests and was told to take a water taxi and was told to take the local train if I wanted a tour of the cinque terre. We had taken the train from menton so had already done that ! Breakfast was included on the terrace which was lovely. Restaurants were recommended which were very good . Have stayed in many fabulous hotels and must say this one was underwhelming especially given the high cost!

Room Tip: I don't know in this instance !
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vacheresse_11
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Traveller,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review and for having shared your comments with the TA community.

Since you are reffering to a stay during the month of July 2013 it's quite difficult to understand what could have happened.
Anyhow , as a general information, we usually sell a stay at the Splendido main building on half board basis, while at the Splendido Mare , located in the main Piazzetta of Portofino, on a Bed & Breakfast basis.

This for a very simple reason: guest staying in the village prefer to be ''free'' to taste all Restaurants and Trattoria available in town.

Concerning the taxi boat, of course at this stage I can just guess, probably our Chris & Craft boat on the day you decided to visit the Cinque Terre was already taken, and our Concierge offered you an alternative.

I am really sorry that during your stay or at the check out yyou have not mentioned to our Front desk your discomfort, we could have been able to do something , now I can just apologise if your stay did not meet your epectations.

I hope anthow you will trust us again and visit us in a not too distant future.

Best regards

Ermes De Megni

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel and its service...even the breakfast was terrific.

I don't think I would stay more than two nights in Portofino.

the proximity to the Cinco Tiere is very important too, very nice place

Room Tip: use AMX platinum to get spa credits
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Carlos F
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Splendido is everything you ever wanted in a hotel and all it should be. The building is sited in a place that no one in their right mind would build a hotel, yet it is the most pleasing site I have ever experienced. The staff virtually ignores you - till you need something and then you realize they have been there all along. The room we had was far from looking fabulous, yet it had everything we wanted or needed and a view that mesmerized me. It has casual elegance that I honestly thought was lost, but now I know where to find it. We ate both on the terrace and at Splendido Mare and were most pleased with both. All I can advise is go - just go. Forget the budget, don't even ask what it costs, but I can assure you it is worth everything you pay.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Macsog6
Reviewed January 11, 2014

wow! what a truly beautiful hotel in an amazing location. We spent our 20th wedding anniversary here and we were well looked after. The terrace restaurant was tremendous and the bar staff seemed to have been there for years and they knew their stuff. Room was beautiful overlooking the bay and the short walk into the town was well worth it. Quite expensive so only a place to go on special occasions (unless you are loaded!) We will go back at some point when we've saved up again...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndySING73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
Hotel Piccolo Portofino
Excelsior Palace Hotel
Hotel Santa Margherita Palace
Hotel Santa Margherita Palace
#6 of 20 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!