We booked the Hotel Splendido for our honeymoon as my husband and I like the leading hotels of the world recommendations and have not been disappointed by any of our choices so far. The location speaks for itself the hotel has amazing views and immaculate grounds. We were greeted on arrival by the very friendly reception staff and were escorted to our suite. The room was very clean and well equipped but disappointed not to have a balcony, lovely Penhaligons & Bvlgari toiletries were refreshed every day and we were given fresh fruit and Prosecco compliments of the manager which we thought was a nice touch. The pool is small and was very busy although there are additional bathing areas with fantastic views however the pool service was quite slow at times in these areas as they concentrated more on those around the pool. For lunch and dinner booking a
table is a MUST unless you want to eat very early. On the first night we didn't and it did lead it to be quite a chaotic dining experience.
The food was fantastic and the waiters could not have been more friendly and gave us excellent local menu recommendations. The service at lunch and dinner was very good. If you enjoy fine wine the menu is extensive however a very basic bottle of wine starts around 70 Euros with the price building rapidly toward what we would have considered the more modest! If you are staying on half board you have the option to take either lunch or dinner as your meal choice. If you plan to have both meals at the hotel go for dinner as your half board option as a basic lunch for 2 in the pool restaurant with a bottle of local wine is in excess of 100 Euros. We had Pizza and salad most days and it was delicious!
The bar area is pleasant but the service was often quite slow on an evening even when it didn't appear to be so busy. Cocktails and most drinks were very expensive compared to hotels of a similar standard that we have stayed at previously. The hotel provides a pianist every evening as entertainment in the bar with a pleasant range of background music played. The music gets a little more upbeat after dinner and although not to our taste it seemed to be enjoyed by some of the groups who were there on private charter cruise stops. Breakfast was very good with the choice of having silver service delivery to your room at no extra charge. The mini bar in the room is very expensive but has a good selection of drinks and snacks
available. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Splendido it has the feel of Harry's bar in Venice and Hollywood glamour in atmosphere and decor. I would recommend this hotel for its location, food and service but be prepared to pay premium prices to enjoy your drinks while you take in the Splendido view!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on a hillside over Portofino, Belmond Hotel Splendido is surrounded by fragrant pine trees and peaceful olive groves. Belmond Splendido Mare is a little bit closer to the action, being right on the world-famous Piazzetta. A continuous complementary shuttle service is offered between Belmond Hotel Splendido and Belmond Splendido Mare. Belmond Hotel Splendido - Set in four acres of romantic tropical gardens with superb palm trees, Belmond Hotel Splendido overlooks the bay of Portofino. It boasts 67 guest rooms including 1 single room, 23 double rooms, 31 junior suites and 12 suites. Most rooms have balcony or terrace offering views of the Bay of Portofino. Guests can relax by the heated salt-water pool or at the wellness centre, enjoy a game of tennis at the tennis court or explore the gulf with a private boat, while children have fun at the dedicated Kids’ Club. La Terrazza Restaurant serves delicious Ligurian specialties with a view over the Gulf of Portofino, while the Pool Restaurant is perfect for an informal buffet-style lunch, snacks or a pizza. The Cocktail & Piano Bar offers aperitifs, after-dinner cocktails and live piano music every evening. Belmond Splendido Mare - Belmond Splendido Mare has 16 rooms including 10 double rooms, 4 junior suites and 2 suites, all elegantly decorated and furnished. Most have balconies with superb views of the harbour and the village. Dining at the Chuflay Restaurant, bordering the Piazzetta, is a true Dolce Vita experience. Belmond Splendido Mare shares all the facilities with Belmond Hotel Splendido. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Belmond Hotel Splendido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido Portofino