“Classic Great hotel in Portofino”

Belmond Hotel Splendido
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Wilson, Wyoming
“Classic Great hotel in Portofino”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is one of the great classic on the Italian Riviera overlooking Portofino.
The view is "Splendido" and does get any better.
Food, elegant, refined, classic with the best fresh fish we had during our Italian trip.
Service is second to none, of course would you expect less from an Orient Express property?

The wine list is the very best We have seen in Italy

Room Tip: Early Reservations are must and during high season almost impossible to get.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Sitting on the terrace overlooking the ocean at sunrise. The sun kisses your cheeks softly as you pour milk into your caffe and hold the delicate china cup. The prices are ridiculous, for sure. But for a moment of pure bliss I would recommend just that morning caffe for 7 euro and the fantasy of feeling like someone of great importance is well worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tanya H
Wokingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our fifth visit to The Splendido. Great to relax by the pool and enjoy the spectacular views.

Expensive, which helps to make it exclusive. The Terraza restaurant has raised it's game and although it was always excellent, this year the menu and cooking seemed to have gone up a gear.

Portofino is as pretty and bustling as ever. If you take the ferry boat, I would advise getting off at Santa Margarhita rather than Rapello. It's much prettier.

Room Tip: Better to splash out on a junior suite, with sea view, for a couple of days, rather than stay a week...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tellippiatt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went with my Wive and baby girl with a camper, to Italy with a 4 day stay for anniversary in splendido. My travel agent contacted them about off site parking for the camper since I knew roads are small. Was informed no problem via phone, worst case they would assist with traffic and parking manual.
On arrival I was told off by the valet parking guy in a tone and way that was beond rude for coming with camper. After getting to the room the concierge had the nerve to call me in the room to be father me about this once more.

Food was good.

Made a reservation on terrace for dinner with space for the pram, no call back for confirmation! On arrival we where told its not possible to sit on the terrace with minors under 5.

The phones of the spa and concierge are busy all of the time.

There where several over charges on the bill! They where corrected after questioning them! Check your bill in this place!!!

That they charge 2000 euro a night for this is beyond me! I feel stupid for staying in this mess...

I have no problem paying, but then I expect top service! Some services are not even 2 star in this place.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank On2max
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all let me thank you for your comments.
Attention to detail and personalised service are the foundations on which we have built throughout the years the success of the Splendido and, more generally speaking, of all our Hotels world -wide.
Therefore I am really sorry that some negative events have in some ways spoilt your stay with us.

In going into the matter the Parking Valet, when you arrived with a big van, just informed you about the fact that local authorities (it does not depend on us) do not allow , with no exception, the entrance on the road leading to Portofino to any van, car, minibus, camper over 6 mt. lenght.
The local Police is very strict on this and that's why our Staff was concerned that you could get fined. Our valet also offered you to park directly at the front of the Hotel and to take care of your van later on, trying to park it along the road leading to the Hotel, that, as you know, is really narrow (and not on an exclusive use for the Hotel) as well the parking space in front of the entrance.

Concerning the Restaurant I am very sorry but as per our Children Policy, clearly stated also on our web site, kids up to 5 years old are not allowed to eat at our Restaurants, La Terrazza and Chuflay Bar. But, when you arrived to the Restaurant our Restaurant Manager, of course informed you about the kids policy but as the same time offred you a table at the Restaurant inside where you had dinner with your Family. Also he opened the doors leading to the Terrace so that you could enjoy the Piano during Dinner.

I feel that despite everything we have done our best but of course if someone caused you and your Family any discomfort I deeply apologize.

Your comments have been all considered attentively and thank you for highlighting these to our attention. It is certanly through them, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve service and facilities.

I hope you will trust us again, and of course I am at your entire disposal for the future.

Best regards,

Ermes De Megni
Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Portofino
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

No doubt about it - this hotel is perfect, as it should be for the price. No other hotel in the area comes close, both for location (Portofino really is as dreamy as it looks) or service (this is simply one of the best hotels in Italy.) Didn't eat at the restaurant - word in the street was decent food but ridiculous prices so you might be better off at one of the waterfront eateries. PS I'd recommend agains the Splendido Mare - looked very nice but if you're spending all that money you might as well go for the real deal.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank H_Alst0n
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am now at the Hotel Splendido. It is my 12 th visit in 12 years. The hotel is the most beautiful hotel in the most beautiful place of anywhere I have travelled. That, combined with the fantastic personal service and exquisite dining on the terrace overlooking the stunning harbour makes for a combination that is almost impossible to beat. Only today I was caught in the rain whilst walking nearby. A staff member offered me a lift in his car back to the hotel which, I gratefully declined. Where else does that happen?
The short answer is that it would not happen much. Certainly it would not happen at business type hotels where the staff rarely if ever treat people other than as a number. Few people look happy at business hotels. They are forever, checking their personal computers and charging from one meeting or place to another. They do not relax or, if they do , it is not apparent . The Splendido offers a different world. The people who use trip advisor to make crtiscims of this hotel should take a reality check. What do they expect - upmarket luxury and service for nothing of very little? Andrew Marks, Melbourne Australia.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Andrew M
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband & I chose this hotel for our wedding anniversary. We married in Oia, Santorini 2 years prior which is a magical place so our expectations were high. Overall, the hotel was great. I would describe it as 'old school glamour' beautiful location situated on the cliffside overlooking Portofino, lovely food and cocktails, room was nice size (not enough storage space though) but we had sea view with a rather long balcony which was lovely however,
Our room was directly situated above the restaurant and there was a very loud party of guests (american) making it diffucult to relax on the balcony because of the noise at lunch and again at dinner.
Alfresco dining proved difficult with wasps attacking you every second. Awful!
Breakfast I felt was very rushed
Fruit in room was not changed daily and day 3 we were left with mouldy apricots
Pool side service was not offered to us on day 1 which you would expect at a 5 * (very expensive hotel)
Awful smell where we were sunbathing (smelt of a septic tank)
Last night of our stay was upsetting to say the least given it was our wedding anniversary. We rang reception around 3pm to book the fine dining restaurant again as we loved it the first night we went but we were told (abruptly) they were busy and could not accommodate us at the time we wanted however, we were told if we just went down at 7:30pm anyway we would be looked after? This was not the case. We were basically ignored and ended up walking out after waiting 45 mins, grabbing the shuttle bus and eating at splendido mare where the service was great. We complained to concierge who agreed to waive our 2 drinks we had at the pre dinner drinks table as a gesture of good will. This didnt happen and they charged us for them at check out!

In short, our last night which was our anniversary was ruined by the unattentive staff at the fine dining restaurant. Also, i would like to point out that we observed exemplary service being offered to those clientele who were fortunate enough to be born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Class elitism in a hotel of this standing is not good. As a result we will not be returning. I have addressed my comments to the general manager of the hotel and I await his reply.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank lorien39
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Madame,

First of all I would like to thank you for your note shared wit the TA community and for your positive comments. I am indeed very sorry to read that your stay has been spoilt in some ways by a negative circumstance during Dinner the last night of your stay. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel Splendido we continuosly strive to meet Clients' needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurences. At the Restaurant for a misunderstanding between the Bar and the Restaurant Staff you have not been accommodated as required, for which I am really sorry.

Anyhow we really appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and we hope to welcoming you again soon,

Ermes De Megni
Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Portofino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
Hotel Piccolo Portofino
Hotel Villa Anita
Hotel Villa Anita
#2 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure
Excelsior Palace Hotel

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!