“What a real Trattoria should be.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taverna del Marinaio

Taverna del Marinaio
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Portofino
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Famiglia Portofinese, ristoratori da 6 generazioni
Wilson, Wyoming
“What a real Trattoria should be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

the owner who speaks perfectly French greets you at the entrance and help you select the greatest fish dishes we had in Italy.
The food and of course the best location on the port make for an incredible experience. We went twice in two days

Visited October 2012
1 Thank winefrog

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
leeds
“deliciously italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had a lovely dinner here. Amazing staff and amazing mussels with cheese, garlic and tomato. Great prices!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank livi_6567
London
“Probably one of the worst restaurants I have ever been to ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have just come back from a lovely week on the Italian Riviera. The holiday lived up to all I've come to love about Bella Italia; "great weather, beautiful towns & cities, animated & excited locals" that was until I booked a table for my birthday dinner at "taverna Del Marinaio" in Portofino!
I don't normally feel the urge to write a review - BUT on this occasion, I quite simply have to! With the exception of perhaps a few school dinners & my grandmother's cooking this was the worst & most overpriced meal I have ever had.
As a starter I had "Tomato & Anchovies", and that is exactly what I got: 3 slices of tomato, cut in halves, ringing an oval shaped dish, with in the middle 4 "tinned" (not fresh!) anchovies... nothing more, nothing less ... could this have been the work of an apprentice chef on his first day??? Really?! ad this at the snip of Euro 14!
The mains: I had the local fish which was, if I'm being nice, "slightly over cooked". My girlfriend opted for the veal - "an excellent choice", I hear you think - alas, not when dining at "Taverna del marinaio". To put it bluntly, the veal resembled worn out leather soles. I have had better veal in kebab shops along the Uxbridge Road in Shepherds Bush & Acton. This was a crime against cooking.
And now for the piece de resistance; the deserts. We opted for that most famous of Italian Dolci, "Tiramisu" .... well it came straight out of the freeer. Pizza Express (for those of you who are not familiar "Pizza Express, it's an English chain of Italian restaurants) does Michellin starred deserts/puddings compared to this sad excuse for a restaurant.
Ladies & gents, I'm sure that there are great restaurants in Portofino (I'm happy to recommend "O Magazin") but avoid this place.
Yours sincerely,
Pvdb

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank petervdbussche
Milan, Italy
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have never eaten such an amazing seafood pasta. OMG Unbelievable!
Better to reserve a table outside. The owner and his stuff are very friendly and professional.
They keep taking care of your table during the entire dinner (changing bread, ashtray, pouring the wine and water)
We ordered fried calamari, crispy and very well cooked, dry with no oil in excess. A seafood salad, you could tell the fish was very fresh. and the seafood pasta. OMG!!! Absolutely amazing! I have never eaten such a good pasta. Drunk a nice bottle of roseé wine and a shot of limoncello. and paid just 108 euros for both of us!
We were surprised how lucky we were to hae a such good experience in Portofino at a such good price!
We will definetely be back and are suggesting this restaurant to any friends we know in Portofino.

• Visited July 2012
8 Thank BarbieChef
New York City, New York
“average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

was average to good compared to the remainder of the places in portfolio. it was fairly priced and service was good.

Visited July 2012