“A pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
Boulder, Colorado
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Up in the mountains, not far from downtown, this beautiful hotel was a perfect place to stay. We were able to book a standard room for ourselves (clean, large and comfortable) as well as an economy size room (small, which we knew ahead of time, but workable) for our 2 boys, 11 and 15. Balcony rooms are also available, but cannot be booked on all websites. (Contact the hotel.) The price was excellent for the area and the breakfast was impressive (homemade cappuccino, meat, cheese pastries, etc.) In addition, the best pizza we had in Italy was found across the street in a local bar.

The owner manned the desk upon our arrival, helping us plan our day to Cinque Terre. (He speaks perfect English and French- In fact, most of the customers during our stay were French) He also stored our luggage. The remaining women who minds the desk was also EXTREMELY helpful to us when we couldn't find our hotel for the next evening. She really went out of her way and we are forever in her debt.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank megngrish
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the location, despite the distance from La Spezia, was to his liking.

All of us are more than happy to help our guests feels at home and not just customers in a hotel; we know how important it is for you to have all the infomation in order to enjoy the best all our area.

Thank you again for choosing us and I hope to be able to have you back soon as our guests

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
Vicenza, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I live in Italy and were fortunate enough to have her mother come in for a month or two. While she was here we finally had a chance to get away for our 7th anniversary. My wife and I looked and looked for a place at the last minute....and she finally got tired of looking and picked Hotel Nella.

The hotel was an amazing value and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were small...but only to someone who has not lived in Europe (the hotel rooms generally are small in Europe).

I liked the town that the hotel was in very much. We drove to the hotel so we had more freedom and not constrained by the lack of not having a car.

The bed in the room where we stayed was decent...at first we were worried as it was two twins put together to make a full. However, it was fine--especially how tired we were every night. Not a five star bed.

I will say that there is great food in the area. We went to a restaurant in a town called Caste that had this little restaurant in which I have finally found food that out does Olive Garden. The lasagna there was amazing and would drive there again just to taste the fine and rich texture of the amazing dish (name is not is not important as it is the only restaurant in the town of Caste....yes, go up the stairs; it looks and sounds like someone's home but it is the restaurant). Across the street there is a old pizzeria that is informal and clean with satisfying food. After hiking the hills if cinque terra you will enjoy the quiet sanctity of the area around the hotel....you will be tired.

Nightlife is not near that I could tell, but the pizzeria across the street has decent wine and provides a good setting for nice conversation with the spouse.

I would really enjoy going there again. There is no better value or location--in my opinion--depending on your transportation assets.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

No problems with the property, the staff, the rooms and the restaurants near it. Only problem is that the busses and trains around cinque terra don't sync back to hotel nella. You must be back at the hotel by 7.30 or you need to get a taxi, so people on a budget need to be wary.
Great views of la spezia and overall very nice, with excellent wifi

2 Thank Anna3195
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was a little mad at myself initially for booking a hotel that seemed to be so far out of town. It's not really in La Spezia, rather in a little village called La Foce which is about 4Km away. However, there is an absolutely breathtaking view of La Spezia, and the hotel is pretty well-served by buses during the day, which makes it easy enough to get to La Spezia or Cinque Terre. A cab ride into town is about 12 Euros. I even walked to town once, and this was quite pleasant and took less than an hour--though I wouldn't have walked back so readily, as it's uphill all the way. So what I'm saying is, don't let the location put you off necessarily. It's really a charming, quiet place.

There is a FANTASTIC pizzeria & bar just across the street, also a trattoria just around the corner which we didn't try because the pizza was so good! There's a tobacconist where you can buy bus tickets, reasonable bottles of wine, etc. And that's about it for La Foce! We were on our honeymoon, though, and found the seclusion rather nice after the hustle and bustle of larger cities.

Front desk staff (we met two) were warm, helpful and spoke solid English (not to mention French, and of course Italian.) They provided bus schedules, information about trails, and conversation. We were very impressed with the staff!

The room was very small, this is my only real niggling. I know most Euro rooms are small but this was exceptionally so; you almost had to turn sideways to squeeze around the bed. I barely fit in the shower and I'm an average-sized man...not the end of the world, but just be prepared! It was quite clean, on the other hand, and the bed was comfortable.

The lobby is spacious and nicely-appointed with plenty of places to visit with your party.

Breakfast is outstanding and really sets this place apart. There is a real espresso machine, and a real person will make you a real coffee! None of that automated machine nastiness. There were several fresh, delicious pastries, a small selection of tasty meats and cheeses, and hard-boiled eggs. This is easily the best continental breakfast I've had.

1 Thank rbsd1
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, May 28, 2013

I am very sorry that the room and shower were not big enough, unfortunately we have not yet completed the work of modernizing the structure and it is for this reason that we have diversified the offer of rooms in Economy and Standard and specifying precisely that the Economy one is a smaller room with a small private bathroom.

Only two years ago I became the owner of the hotel and, believe me, I understand very well how important the room size and it is on this particular "problem" that I focus my work. It will be my first goal to make all our rooms modern and complete.

Thank you again for choosing us and hoping to be able to have you back soon as our guests

Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived following a long and harrowing journey to a beautiful hotel set in the mountains, an idyllic setting overlooking the bay of La Spezia in the district of La Foce. This is a perfect place to visit Cinque Terra and Porto Venere as well as La Spezia itself..
Daniel , the host, Christina and Valentina speak very good English and were extremely helpful with information re public transportation etc.
Breakfast was varied with cheeses, meats, cereals and fruits accompanied with tea, coffee and juices. The fresh bread and preserves or boiled eggs compliment the pastries and cakes available.
The room (20) was large and airy with double aspect and a good sized en-suite and spotlessly clean. Furnishings were of a good standard and the bed comfortable. Secure parking was a bonus. Local buses stop only yards away to La Spezia where you can take further buses or trains further afield.

We would recommend this hotel and its staff.

New Milton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had 1 night at this hotel. It is outside of the town of La Spezia and there are lovely views of the area in you walk a short distance.
Our room had a balcony and looked out to the countryside.
The room is small but perfectly fine.
The owner is really friendly and speaks very good english.
He recommended a place for supper within walking distance.
Breakfast was good and plenty of it.
We would certainly book in here if we were in the area.
The owner told us where to park, free of charge to enable to catch the train to the Cinque Terre area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm glad you had a good time in our hotel, it was a pleasure having you as guest in my hotel.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay; it's always a pleasure to help my guests to organize their days in the area and I'm really happy when they appreciate my advices.

Hope you came back soon to visit us

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had an outstanding stay at Hotel Nella. The owner and host Daniel could not have been more helpful and he has a wealth of knowledge on the area and is only too happy to share - I suggest you use this to help you enjoy your stay.
The hotel is well located if you have a Car, it is a short drive into La Spezia (parking for Cinque Terre Train) and an easy drive to Portovenere.
They also make the best breakfast that we have had while in Italy - great variety with many cereals, bread, eggs, meats and facility to have toasted sandwiches. Daniel also makes a pretty good Cappuccino.
Value was great at 65 Euro per night.
Highly Recommended

Room Tip: We had room 9, with a nice balcony and away from the main corner of the hotel