“Loved It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Maxela Genova 1 - CLOSED

Maxela Genova 1
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nice, France
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

My friend and I had a wonderful dinner at Maxela on a cold night in January. We were very pleased with the service, the wine, the entree and dessert. We started with the excellent steak tartare Francaise. I wish we had ordered two. My friend had the pork that was just wonderful. I had sliced steak. We ordered a very nice wine. The desert was unusual. I think it was deep fried milk with sugar...surprisingly, very good. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Genoa, Italy
“You only eat meat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Been there with friends. The restaurant is very typical, in the old part of Genoa, very close to the famous Via Garibaldi. Tables are some small, no tablecloth, not even a small piece of paper as table cloth. Menu is ONLY meat. Quality of the meat is good, but you will not be able to find a nice Rib eye steak, but you can find a generous Fiorentina (T-bone steak). Refrain from getting the "chipster", we had them and were cold and half way burned. Had a vegetable soup, that had to be served cold as it was written on the menu, in the Genoese style, and it was not the traditional genoese vegetable soup. Some disappointed. Got a Tagliata with rucola and Grana (good meat) and was served on a cold plate, as other ones. Result: the meat became cold shortly and had my main course cold. It's quite a habit in the majority of italian restaurants. When i told about this fact, the response was not the nicest one, and looked and spoke to me as if i was coming from Mars ! Service, less than average. We had a bottle of Cabernet, and was not a good one. Dessert chocolate pie, good. Spent close to 50 Euro. I think will not repeat the experience. Washrooms ..... not so clean. Finally, we were somehow "invited" to leave at 10.45 p.m. !

• Visited November 2013
Sydney
“Excellent entrecote”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is definitely a restaurant for carnivores – with their excellent meat displayed in a refrigerated case just inside the door.
The majority of lunchtime patrons were locals and businessmen. It had a lively, friendly buzz.
Our meal was very simple and delicious – pasta, salad, steak and fries. The pesto pasta was exceptional, as well as the spicy entrecote. I have never had a more tender or juicy entrecote. We all asked for our beef to be cooked medium rare, but my husband had to ask for his to be replaced as it was served well done. This was handled very promptly and pleasantly by our very helpful waitress.
The wine list isn’t extensive, but fine for a restaurant of this style. Excellent coffee!

• Visited October 2013
Palm Beach, Florida
“Meat paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Let's be clear if you are a vegetarian do not even walk close to this place, here the meat is the "thing". The décor reminds of a butcher shop of the old times with small tables with a white marble tops.You can find all different cuts well presented in a refrigerated showcase and you can choose what to eat and how to have it cooked. Service prompt and friendly ready to explain all the reasons why they use only a particular breed of cattle. Raw meat dishes are a specialty of the place .Wine list quite long that covers all the basis and prices.

• Visited September 2013
Texas City, Texas
“Great Steak Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

The steak here is very good. Good steak is hard to find in Italy, and these guys do it right. I went here twice while in Genoa. The first time, my partner and I were seated with no problem. the second time, I went in a group of four, and we were seated in the basement. I take this as a testament of the good food. Get a reservation!

The price was not too bad. Italy is a very expensive place, and steak is not cheap anywhere, but I paid 40 euro (about $60) for a large steak, 2 sides, 2 bottle wine, and coffee. Pretty good.

The wine selection is divided by region. I selected the wine from Lazio (Rome) region, as it was the most prominently displayed with throughout the restaurant. It was not too sweet or dry, and had a spicy note to it. Was a perfect selection with my steak.

The decor may surprise you. It looks like a rustic butcher shop. It is nice to see something different.

They do not have menus in English, but they speak broken English, and can get you through the night just fine.

Credit is gladly accepted.

• Visited April 2013