“The Only Indonesian Restauraunt In Italy”

Borobudur Ristorante Indonesiano
Ranked #257 of 2,079 Restaurants in Genoa
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We came across Borobudur Restaurant by chance while shopping in Genoa. We found a store that sold items from Indonesia, a country we visit annually. The shop keeper noted they also own and manage "Italy's only Indonesian restaurant." The shop keeper added there are a few restaurants around Italy that feature mixed Asian cuisine (Thai, Chinese, Maylay and Indonesian) but none that feature exclusively authentic Indonesian cuisine.

Borobudur is nicely decorated with all furnishings shipped directly from Indonesia. The atmosphere is relaxing with Indonesian music heard softly in the background. The wait staff is dressed in traditional Indonesian clothes from Java and they were very attentive throughout our meal.

Upon being seated, you are served a glass of ginger tea and some Krupuk (rice crackers) with three dipping sauces. You'll find all the classics of Indonesian cuisine on the menu. I had the Risoles (a meat/vegetable filled, lightly fried wrapper..not a lumpia) followed by Nasi Laut, which was a seafood fried rice dish that was very tasty. My wife had the Bangka Salad which was served with Ayam Bakar (grilled chicken) and a mango dressing.

At approximately 2030 h, an Indonesian dancer, fully dressed in costume, performed a two traditional dances from Java. We were told she dances every night Borobudur is open.

An evening at Borobudur is a pleasant change from Italian cuisine and I recommend you give them a try.

1  Thank Mirto56
There are newer reviews for Borobudur Ristorante Indonesiano

Reviewed December 20, 2011

We were there for a special family occasion, and we were not disapointted. It was a wonderful experience. We had not done Indonesian before. It was lovely. Also, in the middle of it all, a dancer in full traditional dress came out from the kitchen, and gave a 5 min. performance. This was unexpected. The waiter was excellent too. He had very good English, and was able to explain everything to us.

1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We have considered eating at this restaurant several times, and last night (Saturday) we decided to stop in around 8:15pm. I was surprised that it wasn't crowded and that they was just one person working to seat, take orders and serve clients. The atmosphere wasn't what I expected, with the walls being a bit bare and feeling cavernous, however the very pleasant Indonesia background music was a nice touch. Service was professional but slow. Having been to Indonesia a few times I was pleased to see BIntang beer and several of my favorite dishes on the menu. My husband ordered the veggie spring rolls; Ok but could have been a bit crisper. Our main plate was the same except my husband ordered it with rice and I had it with noodles, which was far better. I'm currently on medications which can dull my taste a bit, so It's probably not far to say, that while I enjoyed the dinner, it seemed to lack flavor and spices. I kept adding the hot pepper sauce to it! My husband felt his dinner also lacked flavor but was certainly good and we did enjoy our meal. Overall our experience was good, not great, but a nice change from pasta! Bill for two with 3 beers and small tip was 58EU.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

chef original from indonesia..all taste original indonesia

Reviewed November 12, 2010

Found this restaurant on web before trip to Genoa and was not let down.Tho little hard to find(DOWN ONE MANY ALLEY WAYS)but was pleasantly
surprised.Very nice modern looking restaurant.Service was quick if not to quick mains came as we finished starters.Saying that food was tasty and price not to bad and makes change from pasta pizza etc.So if your looking for little spice while in Genoa head here for a cosy evening Enjoy