“Melia Genoa continues to be a great hotel”
Review of Melia Genova

Melia Genova
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Melia Genoa hotel continues to be a great hotel. We have stayed there several times and it is always a very good hotel. We stayed there again in May and it was as good as our stay in January. The Melia Genoa is worth a special trip. The experience manager, the manager, and the front desk staff are all very nice people and very helpful. We highly recommend this hotel for the rooms, the service, the food, and the ambience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the 5star hotel and it was a perfect choice.
The hotel is only a 15 minute walk to thebcenter of the city.
Our deluxe room was wonderful and very comfortable.there was even a button to make the shades go up and down.
The bathroom was huge and the shower was excellent.
Breakfast was bountiful and well presented.
The staff were very helpful with suggestions for restaurants and other activities.
Genoa was a beautiful city with wonderful museums and a great harbor area.
There was a very good restaurant near the hotel called Domenico which we ate at twice.
As travel agents we would certainly recommend The Melia Genoa.

Room Tip: Try to get a deluxe room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We picked Melia based on price and location with the last minute reservations. Turned out the best hotel in Italy we stayed! We opted to upgrade our room from standard to deluxe for 20EUR and they offered us breakfast at 50% discount. A gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and gave us amazing dinner recommendations. He even mentioned that although parking at the hotel is 35EUR, we can find free parking on the street 8pm-8am. Hotel had very pleasant indoor pool, decent exercise room and big private terrace (I think it comes with deluxe room). Breakfast was decent and entire experience very pleasant! I wish we stayed longer!

Room Tip: upgrade to deluxe room for 20EUR
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JeanetteEva
Reviewed August 14, 2012

After touring Italy for 2 weeks we stayed in the Melia for one night. We found the staff very professional and helpful, the room was spacious and the bed very confortable. Yes the parking cost 35 Euros/day but after a 2 week battle to even find parking, this was a pleasure as well as our car having been taken away by a valet (joy upon joy). We did not have dinner but the breakfast was a variety of delights. Most sights are within walking distance and close to the old city. Will most certainly stay there again and if in another country will try their sister hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed August 10, 2012

close to the city centre,and the entertainer area on the walking distance
the beach bit far away you can reach easily by car ,about 10min.
the room is clean and spacious,the wellness area is small and cosy
the minus are parking at the hotel 35euro/day,and free wifi only at the lobby

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I'm sorry to say my husband and I broke our golden rule of 'no business hotels' unless we actually are on business and booked ourselves into the Melia in Genova on Saturday night. Big mistake. Admittedly, we got a reasonable internet deal but we were stung for 35 Euros parking (which is not obligatory but recommended) - so we will put our hands up for that one, although the price is excessive. We normally pay 30 Euros overnight in Paris for parking. Genova has it's charms, but even its most ardent fans would have to admit it's not a world class city.
The 'spa' at the Melia has a sad and sorry excuse for a pool area. It's in the basement (and I've been in basement pools before which are beautifully done - this one is most definitely not). There were dozens of tiles falling off the sides of the pool and someone (a client?) had just stacked them all up in little piles - not a good look. I am guessing that to counteract the possible bacteria-ridden nooks and crannies left by the missing tiles, the pool guy has taken to just dumping as much chlorine as possible in the water. Rarely have I suffered so much from excessive chlorine (I'm a swimmer and I swim anywhere and everywhere). No way could you put your face near that water. We were happy to get out after 5 minutes. Our eyes and throats were burning and continued to do so through the following day. Come on Melia, get your act together! Rinsing off in the 'tropical' shower was frightful - someone had left something unsightly on the shower floor (I didn't want to look closely as I couldn't get out fast enough), there were tiles missing (again) and it was in need of a good scrub. Yuk. We didn't bother with the steam bath - opened the door and took one look and we were back in our room before you could count to three.
Onwards and upwards - our room was ok - at least it was clean! The bed was comfortable although the air con woke us up through the night turning itself on and off with a loud clicking noise - in the end we turned it off and suffered the heat. No ambiance in the style of the room but then, it is a business hotel and one looks much like the next.
Another bad point - we decided to have a pre-dinner drink in the bar. The people next to us had been served potato crisps and nuts etc with their drinks (as is the norm in Italy). We ordered two Tanqueray and tonics - 24 Euros thank you very much. Not so much as a peanut was offered. The barman was efficient but behaved strangely by disappearing behind the bar and laughing loudly to himself (we were the only people there). Really weird.
We then wandered out into the streets of the Old Town where we had another two identical G & T's for 10 Euros. What's the story, Melia? When we got back to the hotel, my husband approached the barman and asked politely if perhaps there hadn't been some mistake - no, no - no mistake. They charge 12 Euros for 'cocktails'. Now, I've been around a fair bit and I've paid a lot of money for a lot of drinks around the world and I know when I'm being ripped off and I know when I'm getting value for money. I don't mind paying a high price if the surroundings warrant it - but, believe me, the bar at the Melia in Genoa is nothing to write home about. I've been in better airport lounges. We were never shown a price list - there didn't appear to be any anywhere - and so it's our fault for not asking but it's a long, long time since we have felt so ripped off and disappointed.
All I can say is, if you're on business here and you have an expense account, all well and good but I dislike these big chain hotels that feel they can rip 'ordinary' clients off as they want - often 'weekenders' like us are the Saturday / Sunday bread and butter for these places - but I'll think twice before I book into another Melia anywhere. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MonkeyBites
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at the Melia for two nights with my family (my wife and me, and our children aged 13, 11 and 9) in July to kick off our Italian vacation in style. The rooms were very comfortable, spacious, well appointed, quiet and the beds were excellent. We didn't have dinner at the hotel but we did have breakfast....lots of choice and nice quality, but the service was quite chaotic as there were not enough staff on, on both days. In addition there weren't enough tables and no-one at a reception desk in the breakfast room to guide guests to the alternative breakfast venue, which was the evening restaurant; the result was guests wandering about with plates of scrambled eggs getting cold looking for somewhere to sit....There is a nice little pool in the hotel but for those with children note that it is really a Spa "dip pool" rather than a decent play area; we knew this but it is not very clear from the website. We'd happily stay again but I do think the hotel, while very good, has a few points to improve on....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family