“Wondering around Genoa I' ve bumped in to a really tasty surprised....”

Soul Kitchen il Ristorante
Ranked #110 of 2,012 Restaurants in Genoa
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Milan, Italy
“Wondering around Genoa I' ve bumped in to a really tasty surprised....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Hi all,

as I do often visit Genoa for leisure few weeks ago I came across to this very cosy restaurant where the atmosphere, the staff and obviously the food, blended very well.

Rustic, modern, comfy and somehow charmingly simple, the décor gives a good idea of the taste and 'anima' ( Italian for Soul) the owner wanted to give to the restaurant.

The staff was very helpful, friendly and present to any of our request. Certainly a smile makes a difference and they treated us very well.

The food was great, we had the chance to have a conversation with the people who run SOUL KİTCHEN and they did explained us the quality and freshness they guarantee to their clients with their daily service. We loved the fresh pasta, the fish and the desserts. Good wine list to.

I do recommend it to anyone who would like to experience a very local modern cuisine.

D.A.L

• Visited December 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Genoa, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,250 helpful votes
“Fantastic Staff-OK Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This restaurant probably has the friendliest staff in the entire city and an absolutely delightful atmosphere with exposed brick, old equipment, and alcoves, set over three floors. We made a reservation, as we were dinning on a Saturday evening and were glad we did as it was pretty busy. When we arrived, we were promptly seated, but the table was located next to the main door, so it was very cold every time someone arrived, so we asked to be moved and were accommodated.
The menu selection isn’t extensive and we were disappointed that several items seen on their very stylish website were not offered; maybe because they were not in season and the web site pictured their entire listing of foods vs what was currently available. It leans more towards fish vs. meat and prices are a bit high for what is offered.
My husband and friend ordered a starter and entrée; I just ordered an entrée which came with their starters (commonly done in Italy). I had the “meat” (lost in translation-no English menus) balls which turned out to be vegetarian ball of fried artichoke with a hot (in temperature) tomato and basil sauce. The staff made a valiant effort to help translate some of the menu items we weren’t familiar with, but not very successfully, as my husband also ordered what was described as “meat” balls and was disappointed that they were vegetable. Also since we both ordered the same meal, mine came first and was very hot, his was probably made at the same time but he had a starter, so by the time he received his entrée, it was cold.
They offer an extensive wine list but the font used is tiny making it difficult to read. Many wines were over 20 euros, which is unusual in a country with so many very inexpensive and good wines for much less.
For me, the best part of our dining experience was the delightful staff and the atmosphere. The name Soul Kitchen, doesn’t translate well for Americans…it’s nothing like Southern cooking, but rather had some very typical Genovese menu items and could be their kind of “soul food”. Overall, the food was just OK and really inexcusable that two entrees should be severed completely different in temperature, but I would still give it another try, maybe for lunch based on the wonderful and helpful staff.

• Visited December 2012