“In need of some TLC”

Comfort Hotel Europa Genova City Centre
Ranked #58 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We found the staff quite helpful & the hotel is very well located - close to the main train station (Piazza Principe) and around the corner from Via Balba, which is one of the main streets on the edge of the old town. But the rooms are long overdue for a spruce-up, and the walls are a little on the thin side - the TV next door was pretty loud. Okay for a brief stay but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank martinhaddelsey

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute due to an itinerary chance because of an Italian rail strike! The position was ideal only metres away from rail station, and bus stop to airport.
The staff were pleasant and helpful, recommended a restaurant next door (fabulous) and gave me a city map with ideas of what to see within walking distance.
The rooms were in need of a re-vamp but the bedding etc was clean and I got a good nights sleep despite being right in the city centre as this hotel is tucked away down a narrow lane! The heating was adequate but I didn't trust the safe as the whole thing could be lifted out of the wardrobe!
Breakfast was a bit sparse on choice but what they had was fresh.
Would have scored 3 stars, but the position and the staff earned that extra one!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SilverNomad04
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I came in with low expectations based on reviews of this hotel. As a sidenote, I never leave tripadvisor reviews on hotels (this is my first) and am only leaving this because I was so disappointed with this hotel. Our hotel confirmation said that we could check-in by 1pm. We arrived and our room was not ready until close to 2. In a response to my complaint e-mail, I was told check-in was not until 2 (but this conflicts with my room confirmation). The room was old and dilapidated (which was expected). I was not expecting hair in the sink and on the toilet. I was not expecting a stained rug and crumbs in the corner. The light to the room was dim at best, and we could barely see. When I asked the front des about this, I was told that it is a "low energy light", and I needed to leave it running for 45 minutes before it would fully light up. I left it on for 6 hours, and it never got brighter. In a response to my complaint letter, I was told that this is as bright as a low energy light gets (which conflicts with what the front desk manager told me). Finally, the bed was hard and sunk in in certain spots.

To justify there 1 star, I will give them that they are located about 3 minutes walking distance from the train, which is extremely convenient if you need to get an early morning train.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark G
Reviewed September 15, 2012

All in all is good for the price. Location in the city center. Close to the main points of interest. Has the own parking!(15 Euro) Good breakfast included. Rooms clean not small, not big. Windows view on backyard.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This Hotel offers the essentials and nothing more. But! adequate if you are only spending a couple of nights....even a week. It is clean and the staff is friendly [and no hassle checking in or out] We spent 2 nights in July 2012 on our way to the French Rivera and it was to our advantage ....This hotel is located in a very safe area and close to all the main attractions, and not to mention the train station just minutes away. We do not have any complaints to report, you simply get what you pay for…..the breakfast made up for all that is missing. For us a charming little hotel on a quaint quiet street in Genoa.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Clutchmi
Reviewed July 28, 2012

On arrival after a 7 hr drive the receptionist made us empty our entire car into the foyer before allowing us to check in because he needed our passport! Our car was full of bikes and bike bags etc. on arrival to our room which was very warm despite air con at full power, the bathroom was tiny, barely enough room to stand. Bathrooms were old, carpet in bedroom was very worn. At 6am the air con stopped completely and then at 8am the noise outside the room was awful and cleaning ladies started vacuuming at 9.30. The hotel is also located in a rough looking area down an alleyway! The only positive was the very friendly lady serving breakfast and the breakfast itself.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Considering July peak season prices it was very reasonable one. Another advantage is location. It is just 2 minutes by foot from railway station Genova Piazza Principe. Please pay attention to this name of station because train can stop first at some other in Genova- it depends from which direction you are going of course. Small tip for travellers by train:)
Close neighbourhood of hotel is Old Town so you have everything close. There is also small terrace at the top floor of the hotel so you can admire a little panorama from there. But there are much better places in the city for that.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple