“Better than expected”

Ranked #58 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
Zaandam, The Netherlands
“Better than expected”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed for one night at the Comfort hotel in Genova. Arrived at 11.00AM, but unfortunately the room was not ready yet, however no issue to leave our luggage. People at the reception desk were friendly and helpful. Room and bathroom are small but adequate. Walls in the hotel are thin, but there were no noisy guests, so we had a very good sleep. Beds (2 singles in our room) are small (european size) but of good quality. Breakfast was much better than expected. (cold continental breakfast). Cappuchino was perfect. Taking into consideration the rate (80Euro including breakfast for this hotel) I rate it very good. Hotel is maximum 5 minutes away (walking) from the railway station (Genova P.P), and 10 minutes from the center and harbour. Station quarter is however not a very nice area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arjan-nl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The good thitng about this hotel is the proximity of the train station (also easy for the airport bus), the room was clean and free Wi-Fi but the room needs updating and the bathroom had a broken shower head with water leaking from everywhere apart from the shower head and the door to the shower enclosure was broken.
The mainly problem here is that the walls are really thin and you can hear everything. I had a problem with a group of people staying at the same floor but in different rooms that would stay chatting in the corridors or entering and leaving the rooms all the time all night usually past 02:00am. I stayed here for 3 nights and were the same every night.... for the first 2 I just put my headphones on and managed to sleep but on the last night I need to be able to hear the alarm so not to miss my flight so I could use the headphones so for the first time ever I called the reception asking if they could say something to those people. The guy at the reception said that he would but if he did I don't know as they kept doing the same for the rest of the night and I couldn't sleep.
If I need to stay near the station again I would probably try my lucky somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank decosp
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here for one night to give ourselves a break from train travel. That is why we choose this hotel - it's proximity to the train station. Upon check-in the lady on reception took our passports and gave us the key to our room. She told us to come down a little later to get our passports back. We were a little wary of this as we are not comfortable leaving our passports behind. We came back down 5 minutes later and she had still not finished with them - talking on the phone seemed more of a priority. We waited while she did what she had to (photocopy them).

The room was ok. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was also clean. We did not have breakfast as it was about 10 euro per person, so we grabbed something from one if the bakeries near to the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Junky87
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The previous review is very accurate, in my opinion. Bathroom was tiny and tatty. Bedcover ancient but sheets clean. Breakfast more substantial than most continental breakfasts. Super location, in quiet alley a few steps away from the Stazione Principe. But "value for money" it certainly is not: can do better for the price in Genova.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Old Hickory, Tennessee
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel could have been a lot better. Our room was clean, but there were many maintenance issues that needed to be addressed. The bathroom portion of our room was VERY small...I mean, put your feet in the shower while you sit on the toilet, small. The shower stall was very small and the shower doors were broken so you ended up with lots of water on the floor. Water was hot-cold and then hot-cold again. The bathroom was cleaned, but not well kept. The room was 2 twins and clean with an AC. The problem with the AC was #1 my American expectations of what AC should be, so my fault, but #2 the management turned off the AC between 6am and 11am. Just cruel. I say spring for breakfast because if you are a tourist it is an excellent value. A hot drink, with orange juice, water, meats, cheeses, delicious focaccia bread, nutella and butter, fruit, other breads...A good spread for sure. The staff was hit and miss. No one was really rude, but no one was really friendly either. Seems like it may be a family business. I would say that this hotel is great for a budget traveler who is not interested in a hostel or sharing a bathroom, but only expect clean sheets and towels. Be ok with fate deciding the rest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica R
Murwillumbah
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Very handy to the train station and a short walk to the city's attraction this hotel is perfectly suitable for a short stay in Genova. Helpful staff and a good quality range of breakfast foods made the 90 euro a night we paid good value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vining
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed one night in two rooms for our family. Whilst the hotel is a little dated and basic, the room rate and location more than made up for it.

• Stayed July 2011