Best Western Hotel Moderno Verdi
Orbitz.com
$165
$154
Agoda.com
All reviewsbrignole stationcage elevatorbreakfast roomstayed in this hotel for nightsnice hotelfavorite hotelroom numberold townside streetold world charmhot and cold foodspacious bathroomarriving by trainpublic areasnarrow streetswithin easy walking distanceeasy access
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is an old hotel, but nice and clean. The room was very spacious. Breakfast was good. Great cappuccino. It's near the railroad station and not far from downtown and the marketplace. We spent one night there. The air conditioner worked. I would go back and I recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The hotel is in a perfect position for town, sight seeing, buses and trains. The bus from the airport almost drops you at the door. Goodness knows where they get their four stars from as this is more like a well run two star hotel. Bedrooms, corridors and general rooms are small. Breakfast is an adequate buffet. Service in the restaurant, bar and around the hotel is excellent. However, BEWARE the beds! We opted for the cheap room offering a 'French' bed which we expected to be a three quarter bed. As we are both small people, for a short break, this would have been adequate. However, the bed was not only rock hard but also bumpy. I believe it may have been a horse hair bed. I also suffered a bite in the night (???). When I complained our room was changed with no fuss and I got the impression that this must have happened before. However, it took 10 days for my normally good back to recover. Both rooms we had were dull and had poor views. If you are only staying for a few nights the hotel would be fine if you make sure you don't go for the 'French' bed.

Room Tip: If you are only staying for a few nights the hotel would be fine if you make sure you don't go for the 'French' bed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a good hotel and the price is definitely worth it. The location is great! Right across from the Stazione Brignole. In addition, the airport bus stops just a few steps away from the hotel. It's only about 15 minute walk from downtown. The rooms are very quiet and the bed is comfy.
The only thing strange is the staff at the check in desk and the bar. They act like they're doing you a favor just to talk to you. That was the only weird thing about my experience there. I'd definitely go back because all the pluses outscore a minimum inconvenience.

Room Tip: Honestly, it's a quiet place, it really doesn't make a difference
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Just returned after having spent 5 nights there with my sister. My experience was identical to that of Ladyrhodes. Older guy on evening shift at reception this week was so obnoxious that that I was shocked that no-one has sacked him. We had the same experience with the bar closing at 10.00 pm and being unpleasantly refused a drink - in a supposedly four star international hotel. Just couldn't believe it. The other reception staff were polite but not very interested. Have to say that the restaurant manager/head waiter, Gianni, and the two waitresses were very helpful and charming. Absolutely no complaints there and the room itself was nicely furnished. I do hope that someone from Golden Tulip will read this and take some action because the attitude of the staff was completely unacceptable. I would never stay there again. I'm wondering whether they only behave this way towards female guests as we noticed that the bar was open past 10.00 pm for a couple of tour groups on Sunday night and Wednesday night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bedandbreakfastfan24
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed in the Golden Tulip, Genoa for two nights at the beginning of May. In appearance it is pretty and very elegant. My room was small but had everything I needed apart from wifi which is only available in the lobby/bar.

Unfortunately that's where the positives finish. On arrival the young male desk clerk seemed very dismissive, did not make eye contact and was really far too important to make little old me feel welcome. The bedroom was clean and in the bathroom that reassuring little strip of paper covered the toilet seat pronounced that it was clean and sanitised, however on closer inspection, I could see that this certainly was not the case. Breakfast the first morning was rather an unpleasant affair. The male waiter was very grumpy even though there were only a handful of customers eating. My colleague politely asked for tea rather than the ready prepared coffee, this was brought in true Basil Faulty style and slammed down on the table.

The highlight was returning that evening at 11.30 pm (remember this is a 4 star hotel in a major international city) with three female colleagues, we were sober, quiet and polite. We asked for a drink at the bar and were told that the bar tender had gone home! we looked puzzled at the clerk in reception which was completely empty by the way and he said he could make us a drink but only if it was something simple. Campari soda was agreed by everyone and he trudged all of the 10 feet to the bar to open the Campari soda bottles, which again were slammed on to the bar... I then had the temerity to ask for ice.. 'the bottles have just come out of the fridge!' he said but after some huffing and puffing the ice did appear. None of us were brave enough to ask for a slice of orange!!

To be fair, this attitude was not common to all staff and there were some notable exceptions including the young breakfast waitress on the last morning and one middle aged male reception clerk who was very helpful giving directions. However, on the basis of my whole experience I will certainly not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe ssk for a view of the Square at the front, mine was of an ugly office block at the back, but it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business