“Great hotel, loved the Spa”
Review of Grand Hotel Savoia

Grand Hotel Savoia
Ranked #1 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was a really nice hotel and loved staying here for 2 night before our cruise. It is only a few minutes walk from the cruise terminal and next door to the train station. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. Cannot fault it as a place to stay at all. The bonus was the spa in the basement which was great. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,812)

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We booked this hotel via a tour operator 118cruises as we we're joining the Ventura. We could not have wished for a better start to our holiday. On arrival we were offered an upgrade for a great price which we took, wow what a view....

The room was excellent with everything you could need and such a huge huge bathroom with a super shower, I could go on and on about the view, we only had two days in Genoa so did not stay too long in the hotel itself.

Drinks at the great bar was a must, the service was excellent - I wish I could remember her name but the lady who poured our wine was fantastic and a great asset to the hotel.

The bar reception was stunning, almost out of a movie, we commented in a hugely positive way how the Grand Hotel Savoia looked and felt like the Grand Budapest Hotel - a recent movie we'd just seen.

We knew about the Terrace when we were looking to book and wished we'd come in the 'season' as this was not fully open but we did enjoy a few drinks up there anyway soaking up the atmosphere.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, the great service from everyone, super breakfast and drinks at the bar and although Genoa was not to our liking the hotel itself is a must.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2014

very good service, this is an excellent hotel, attractive building with wonderful decor. Breakfast a little sparse, you need to ask for eggs done to your liking, but otherwise quite good. Rather expensive if it is not included in your booking as the y charge 12euros

Room Tip: ask for one that does not overlook the front of house area
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We found a bargain deal over booking.com and where overwhelmed checking in at our arrival. The Hotel is not quite in the city center where all the shops are, bit within 5-10 Minutes walk your there. (The Same for the harbor)
The Reception was very professional, and also the other staff friendly. Our standard room into the inner Side was very nice. The whole Hotel was clean. Nice marble and wooden floors and a fantastic breakfast area. (Including the breakfast. You get everything what you wish for...English breakfast, pancakes, continental, and so on)
We'll surly pop in on our next trip to Genova.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms ar located to the inner side...so the view ist not really spectacular. If you have...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Savoia on the first night of our honeymoon. My husband found it, and was so excited about the stay. We were so excited about the spa facilities and the gorgeous rooms. We believed that we'd found a great deal on the room, and were under the impression that the spa facilities were a part of the package.

I wish that I could give this hotel 5 stars like the other Yelpers have. This hotel has done so well on Yelp, had an 8.6 rating on booking.com and was the top-rated hotel Trip Advisor. To say that this hotel fell short of expectations is an understatement.

We got to the hotel at midday, and were excited to set our things in our room and head out to explore Genoa since we were only there until 11am the next day. Things started off okay... We checked-in at the hotel and were told that to access the spa, it would be €25. I was annoyed by this because how much time could we possibly spend in this place to make it worth €25 per person. The agent explained (and boasted) that the charge was per room, and for the entire stay. That sounded reasonable for a couple staying for multiple days. A big expensive for one night, however. We decided to go explore and then see if we felt like adding it later.

We got to the room, and were impressed by the decor. The bathroom had a nice bath, with generous bath samples, including bath salts, gel, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash. We dropped our stuff off in hopes that we could go explore. As we were leaving, we realised the door wouldn't properly close and the latch wouldn't lock. Chris found a housekeeper down the hallway, and explained as best as he could in Italian. She fiddled with the door, and saw there was an actual problem, so she called down to someone else. That someone else came to fix it, and then called another someone else. Neither could so they told us to "wait a minute". After 10-15 minutes of waiting, I went downstairs to see what was going on. In all, we'd waited over an hour for something to be done, and the first day of our honeymoon was really not going well. I waited in a huge line to be consistently ignored. Once I finally got to the front, I asked to speak with a manager on duty. Apparently that didn't exist. She asked to know why I wanted to speak with one, and I explained that we only had the afternoon to explore the town. This is the first night of our honeymoon and it was going badly. She explained that they had given us a new room, and acted like that was in some way going way above and beyond. I expected that they should have been apologetic and offered something by way of making it up to us. Nothing came, so I did the cheeky thing and asked. I requested that they add the spa to our room for the trouble. She begrudgingly did it, but acted like it was me being silly.

We went up to the new room, and it smelled overwhelmingly of smoke. I went back down to explain that I couldn't stay in that room, and she said "that one won't work for you either?" No. No, it won't, miss eyeroll. I don't believe it's too much to ask to stay in a room that only my husband and I can access via our keys or that isn't a smoke lounge. None of this was my fault. I shouldn't have received the eye rolls and accusatory tone.

The third room didn't have a tub and the bed looks smaller, but it was what it was. We explored Genoa for a while, and then returned to the hotel to make use of the spa. The pool was much smaller than the photos suggest. There were four couples in it, and that was plenty. It did have jets and a shower like feature. We were as far away from the shower feature as we could be, but when someone was under it, I found that I was getting pretty splashed. They had some lounge chairs facing the pool. There was a room that was standard temperature, with heated rocks that you sit on. It would have been nice if there would have been towels available. We looked for the hot tubs, but they weren't anywhere to be found. Apparently they are up on the roof. We went up there, and they weren't in operation. Would have been nice if they would have mentioned that.

The hotel lobby is gorgeous and it's a quick walk to the train station, but would probably not stay there again because of our experience. Honestly, things happen to rooms. I wasn't mad about the door not working, but felt like they could have tried to make it up to us a bit, and then when the second room was full of smoke smell, I was apparently to blame for being ridiculous or expecting too much.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WeTheTravelFish
Gabriele F, Direttore at Grand Hotel Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Madame,

I would like to thank you for choosing and staying in our hotel.

I have read carefully your comment, which is very usefull to us in order to improve our services.

I am very sorry about the room inconvinience you have experienced and the behaviour of the front desk staff.

Our aim is to fullfill our guest expectaions and make sure we provide quality service.

If you plan to come back in Genoa, please contact me, the staff and myself will make sure you will have a perfect holiday at better conditions.

Looking forward to welcoming in our hotel.

Gabriele Fortunato

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel is a step back in time! Beautiful art deco design but with modern amenities and great internet. It seems like it should be uber expensive, but it was not, although we were there in low season. The hotel bar is awesome - we had some great snacks one night with our beer and wine. The man behind the bar was a treat to talk to. The staff was very helpful and friendly. A great location also - close to walk to the marina and also close to the metro.
We would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: If you have a car just park at the hotel. It's expensive but parking is not readily available el...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DzinerGrl
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The staff were friendly and efficient. The common areas were clean and had a very elegant and Italian look to it. The breakfast had a great selection of fresh fruits, different types of breads as well as your normal spread of cereals and cooked selections. It is an added bonus to have a SPA there. Nothing beats an hour in the pool and sauna to end the day with.

Room Tip: Pick the room at the back side of the hotel if you get easily disturbed by traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business