“Thank God”
Review of Grand Hotel Savoia

Grand Hotel Savoia
Ranked #1 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Arrived at this hotel after a bad experience with another. Was so pleasantly surprised to see beautiful smiles and an outstanding hotel. From the first glass of wine to bed time could not have been happier.

Room Tip: I could live here in this hotel
2  Thank raymonds288
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Savoia

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Last minute booking so wasn't sure what to expect, very comfortable, excellent breakfast and Hotel is well located.excellent secure parking for my sports car.i would say his Hotel is ideal for a short stay in Genoa

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zoro485
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We came to the end of a stressful day of driving and train travel. We didn't know where to stay, turned to good old Trip Advisor and found this gem. We booked at the last minute and messed our booking up online (I did tell it was stressful). When I received the confirmation day on the online booking service, I had inadvertently booked the next day. We rang the hotel and they fixed it without a problem and at no extra charge.

The hotel is luxurious and very comfortable, the staff are great and very friendly. We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and were very satisfied, great value for money, the hotel is located across the road from the main genoa station. But a world away from the hustle and bustle. Great feel and chill out music.

The room was great lacked for nothing, a little small but a lot of the older hotels are like that, not to say that the interiors are old, very nice and the most comfortable bed we've had on this trip yet. There was no skimping on the appointments. We were very happy, "thanks Savoia"

Room Tip: Don't hesitate. You won't be disappointed!
2  Thank Eric C
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in Genoa earlier this month, and we really enjoyed the location of the hotel - literally 2 minutes from the main entrance of the Genoa Principe Station to the Hotel - and we really enjoyed the service. Very attentive folks there, and a quick walk to the Historic center of town. By train its only a 26 minute Ride to Portofino. Very clean and comfortable room as well! Highly recommended!

2  Thank NBohn
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in this hotel by accident. I was booked in somewhere else and got bounced. I arrived disconsolate and ready to find fault. I failed. It is not cheap, but then no hotel in Genoa is cheap, so you can either pay a lot for dross or a bit more for something stylish.

The hotel is 'traditional elegant' in style with lots of marble and attractive wood. No chrome and glass to be seen.

First let me say that the bar is a work of art. It is almost worth staying there just for the bar alone. Some real thought has gone into its design and it is beautiful. The breakfast is glorious, a very generous buffet which allows you to dispense with lunch, if you would want to do that on holiday. They also have a Trattoria next door which offers a good meal without the full 9 yards of the main restaurant - generally too much for me.

The bedrooms are very attractive, my bed was good, the staff are attentive and efficient, everything in the bathroom was clean and worked. It is also opposite the main train station, where the airport bus stops (Volabus), and it is a convenient walk to the centre. Just as well because Genoa taxi drivers are spectacularly dishonest, even by the standards of Italian taxi drivers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Harry D
Gabriele F, Direttore at Grand Hotel Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Sir,

we would like to thank you for staying in our hotel.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

Thank you for forwarding your comments which are very valuable to us.

We all hope to see you again in our hotel.

With our best regards

Gabriele Fortunato

Reviewed May 12, 2013

One of the nicest experiences we have had in Italy so far. This hotel offered us a nice, spacious room for four (we were with two kids) and knowing some space limit in most of Italian hotels this was a nice surprise for us. The room was equipped with a kettle/tea/coffee and high speed wifi, which is still not so common in Italian hotels. Great view from the window to the port. Nice, bright bathroom with jacuzzi. We did not have enough towels and they were immediately provided, once we asked. The hotel has quite old furniture with beautifully designed, very spacious lobby area. If you are a fan of antics you will really like it. The hotel and our room were very clean, surprisingly you do not get this "bad smell" that you might sometimes feel when the building is relatively old and furnished with old type of furniture. Breakfast was decent, quite crowded during the weekend but it was managed by the staff. Fitness club very small, the same with the SPA facility - basically for two/three families but we still enjoyed it. The hotel is nicely located in the center, close to the Aquarium and train station. Two points for improvement - when I used jacuzzi in the bathroom, the dirt flew out of the pipes into my bath, so probably it requires more often to be cleaned. And, if you travel by car, the parking reservation in advance is necessary. In Grand Hotel Savoia this is an additionally paid service which I did not like. In most hotels that I know, the parking is already included. But except those two points we did enjoy it, it was comfortable and we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AlicjafromLausanne
Gabriele F, Direttore at Grand Hotel Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Sir,

we would like to thank you for staying in our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay and liked our decor.

We appreciate very much your comment.

We hope we may welcome you again in our hotel.

Kindest regards
Gabriele Fortunato

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed one night at the Grand Hotel Savoia and thankfully, it was only one night. The only thing going for this hotel is its location if you are arriving by train. It is directly across the street from the station. I dont know who took the professional photos of this hotel, but they are brilliant, because the reality does not match the glamorous photos. The reception staff were curt and very unwelcoming. Our room, as I mentioned above, was not what I expected. The decor is very sterile, in fact it reminds you more of a hospital ward. The air conditioning did not work and the electric external blind would not come down to shield the strong sunlight. They promised to fix the blind when I went out and when I returned, it still had not been fixed. Then it blew the fuse and everything in the room was black. I went to the front desk and to my surprise, one of the people working behind the desk was in a paint stained shirt. Eventually, they moved us to another room which was larger, but the air conditioning was totally inadequate. I asked them to address the issue, they said they would, but when we returned later that evening, the room was still hot. In the end, the only choice was to open the windows, which let all the light and noise in from outside. Steer clear of this hotel. There must be better options in Genoa.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
2  Thank Craig D
contin, Direttore at Grand Hotel Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and for adressing your comment.

I am very sorry yo know that you did not enjoy your stay, seemingly nothing worked.
I deeply apologize, we do have normally good comments including the staff at the reception.

I will investigate and try not to make the same mistakes in the future.

Please e-mail me to the hotel so we can issue a voucher for your next stay in Genoa.

I do aplogize.