“The most awesome food - Heston Blumenthal meets Italian Country Kitchen!”
Review of Il Genovese

Il Genovese
Ranked #62 of 2,041 Restaurants in Genoa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“The most awesome food - Heston Blumenthal meets Italian Country Kitchen!”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel manager, who politely insisted that we try it that night, since it would be closed on the Sunday. Boy, was he ever right! I would happily have eaten there every night of our stay...

The menu choice was awesome. I'm sometimes funny about 'complicated' food, food with twiddly restaurant-y additions, since I'm a bit finicky about what I eat, but I was spoilt for choice on this menu - everything sounded tempting. Rabbit, veal, various fish dishes, and of course pesto!

The service was above and beyond as well - our waiter was very friendly but didn't get in the way or seem smarmy. We got chatting to him towards the end of the meal, and it was more like being in a new friend's kitchen having supper, than in a restaurant. He told us that he had just come back from America, judging on the International Pesto Championships - they had a friendly against the local fire station, and won of course! (But he was very gracious in victory, saying they were rather good... :)) He gave me one of his souvenirs from the competition - a tin of Ligurian air, scented with pesto of course!

The prices were not cheap cheap, but definitely the quality of the meal was worth it, along with some rather nice wine. The white chocolate creme brulee was a masterpiece, and I'm not even that fond of creme brulee!

The outside view is nothing to write home about, since it's down a typical Genovese back alley, but the atmosphere inside is great - cosy but airy, and with lots of locals chatting away.

• Visited November 2011

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
“Can an australian make pesto? In this case, yes.”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We were taken to Il Genovese by local friends who told us we were going to eat the best pesto in the world. Is it the best in the world? I don't know, but it was the best I have ever eaten, with some glorious gnocchi di patate. The rabbit alla ligure was also incredible. This place has all the ingredients of a good restaurant: a relatively limited choice of dishes (few but good!), few tables, friendly service and an attentive owner who goes round the tables all night. The chef is only half australian. The other half is clearly ligure and it shows.
4 people with 3 courses and a couple of litres of the house wine, just over €100. Can't do much better than that at these levels of quality.
Few tables means that booking is a must

• Visited March 2012
Paris, France
“Absolutely AMAZING typical cuisine!!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This is a must for anyone stopping by Genova. We arrived by chance, as it was lunchtime and we asked a lady at a nearby FNAC if we could find a decent genovese pesto anywhere in the area. She directed us to this first culinary surprise of our gastronomic voyage in Italy this summer... and in fact, it was there that we ended our trip as well, three weeks later, with an amazing dinner... hope to come back soon!!! GRAZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2011
Reggio Emilia
“The real taste of Genova”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Small restaurant in the center of Genoa. Local food, very delicate, very good. Friendly place. Pesto is the King here from the man who has invented the Pesto World Championship. Very good for strangers, but very good for local people too (like me)

Paris, France
“Still amasse about the good foot i had”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

By chance I tryed this cosy and appealing restaurant. Curious on the daily fresh dishes proposed in cubital letters on the entrance, I took the chance to get in. Once passed the door a warm welcome from the owners (Roberto and Franco) gave me the first signe that I was in the right place. The menu was made by a balanced mix between typical local food and interesting fusion style dishes proposed by the chef Rocco. Despite the menu was full of strange local terms I appreciated having the chef in person explaining me what he found interesting to but in the local vegetable and Fish market today. My choise was for local baccala genovese fried in olive oil. Uuuu, amazing and the présentation top..

• Visited July 2011