“Disappointing!”

Bakari
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Atmosfera liberty per un pizzico di fantasia in cucina, buon vino cullati dal jazz. In pieno centro città a due passi da piazza De Ferrari o dall'acquario.
Genoa, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,266 helpful votes
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I’ve walked past this restaurant several times and have been intrigued by the posted menu (English and Italian) and delightful interior, so we decided to try it last night. We made reservations (Saturday evening) but there were only a few occupied tables during our time there, so I don’t believe they are essential.

The menu had interesting, varied options, a bit on the expensive side, offering beef, duck, turkey, chicken as seconds between 13-18 euros and several pasta dishes as first plates. We only tried the main plates and unfortunately everyone was disappointed in their meal. Probably the worst was what I ordered, the turkey with honey and rosemary (13eu)-the turkey looked like what you find in the cold cut selection of the grocery store; sliced, pressed and processed turkey! With a blob of tasteless mashed, watery potatoes on top. The Fillet of grilled beef with cream sauce of lemon, oil and pine nuts (15eu) was swimming in too much sauce and watery mashed potatoes. My husband had the filet of beef with green peppers( 18eu)-a small portion,uninspiring and not very good. The special of pork chops had a very nice presentation, but wasn’t enjoyed-dry and lacked flavor.

Desert faired much better. We all enjoyed the apple in pastry with sauce and my husband said their special after dinner coffee with digestive was excellent.

The atmosphere was great, service average, the cost for what we received-overpriced and overall the meal was disappointing. I won’t recommend Bakari, and I don’t believe I would return, but it’s a lovely looking restaurant.

• Visited April 2012