“Delicious, fresh, goodness” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Hucknall, United Kingdom
“Delicious, fresh, goodness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We ate here the 2 days we stayed in Vernazza. My friends refused to have breakfast anywhere else after we found this place. I say ate there - it is actually a little bakery which has all sorts of savoury and sweet treats for takeaway. We ate on the go or on the little steps opposite the bakery.

Lots of foccacia type sandwiches. It all looks so delicious and tastes as it looks! Get anything with the vibrant green local pesto!

• Visited July 2013

Sudbury, Massachusetts
“Great pannini and pastries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We went here twice to get panninis for a trailside lunch and for our train ride to Venice. They made foccacia sandwiches filled with delicious meats and mozzarella. They also had excellent pastries including a special fruit cake for the Easter holidays.

• Visited March 2013
Linden, California
“Sgabeo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Have you ever tried sgabei? It is fried bread. Doesn't sound good, huh? When my wife and I were in Vernazza, in the Cinque Terra, last month we were waiting for a particular shop to open so my wife could buy some jewelry. While waiting we decided to get a bite of something to fill our void since we hadn't had breakfast at our hotel in two hours! We stopped at a very small shop with an equally small bakery kitchen next door to look at what was available. The awning in front said Panifacio Foccaceria. We knew a panificio was a bakery and a foccaceria was a bakery for foccacia so we checked it out. They had sgabei which I hadn't heard of. They had it sliced open with salumi inside, they had it with spreadable cheese and tomatoes inside, and they just had the plain pieces of fried bread which looks like a maple bar or chocolate bar without the topping. I decided to try one. My wife, the thin one who usually eats only what is good for her, even said she'd try a bite. It is light, oily, and somewhat salty. It is also addictive!! Even my wife, after she tried it, said we HAVE to take one back to the hotel for snacking on later so naturally we got 2. Since coming home to California I have gone on line looking for how to prepare sgabei (plural of sgabeo). You can find it on YouTube and learn of the history on line also but. . .I will NEVER go back to Liguria and the Cinque Terra without going back to this tiny bakery on the main street of Vernazza!!! Even if you are health conscious, which I am not, you've gotta' try this in Vernazza if you go there.

• Visited September 2012