“Started out great, but..”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of La Marina Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vernazza
La Marina Rooms
Ranked #5 of 43 Vernazza B&B and Inns
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Started out great, but..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

First let me say I am not a novice traveler, I love staying at small family run accommodations and have realistic expectations. Cinque Terre was our last major stop in Italy and it started out great. Christian met us at the train station (our train was late and he was not immediately there), but a nice gentleman sent him a text. He carried our bags up the very steep stairs, which I greatly appreciated. When we got to the room we had a chat and he gave us tips etc.We were staying 2 nights and I had a general idea about our departure time. He explained that check out was 11:00, but they could hold our luggage. This is where the confusion began. I sincerely thought he said that as long as our bags were packed and ready to go he would put them in the hallway and then we would meet him at 2:00; the appointed time to pay, return keys and assist with our luggage. We came back to the room about 30 min before the time I had understood we would meet. A lady (his mother perhaps?) was cleaning the room & our bags were in the hall. I thought all was good, but then Christian came and started yelling at me, he kept saying I told you 3 times to be here at 11:00! He went on screaming at us about his mother coming at different times, cleaning, missing lunch. He kicked at stuff on the floor, told me to stop apologizing and was downright rude. I was shocked, it was an honest mistake on my part. He rushed us down the stairs, my sister is 72 and needs to take her time. When we got to the main road I told him we would take our bags to the station. He put them down, turn around and left without a word. After such a wonderful time in Italy and falling in love with Vernazza I was devastated to be treated this way. I had just told my sister earlier I would love to come back with my husband and even though the room was not perfect, (bed and pillows were hard and a tea/coffee maker would have been nice) the terrace, views and cleanliness made up for it! I can't believe we are the first to make this mistake. We were the only people staying in the rooms, had neatly packed our bags and stacked them in one small spot so I am not sure why he reacted the way he did.

• Stayed October 2013
9 Thank JLRRP

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in September 2013. While the climb up was long, the views at the top were worth it. We have ocean, mountains, and town to look down on. I am presuming that we also got away from some of the street noise too. Cristian met us at the train station, gave us a quick tour of the town (which was great) and showed us our room. He was very helpful and very accommodating. The room was very clean too. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AV_StL
Kailua, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed at La Marina Rooms in August 2013. There are 4-5 rooms and apartments in this "hotel" and the hotel is up 80+ stairs, some of them quite steep. Cristian, the young, strong proprietor, met us at the train station and carried my bag, but never offered to carry my partner's (almost 70 years old) very heavy backpack (Cristian had told us to call him when we arrived and he would help with luggage). Important items to me in a hotel are abundant hot water and a working toilet, and everything worked fine and the room seemed very new. It was decorated very nicely, and there was a large armoir with hangers, a great queen bed, and (very important!) 2 wine glasses and bottle opener! The terrace is open to all and has a stunning view (parts of the terrace are private for certain rooms). We were in room #1 that has this great window that overlooks the street, rooftops, churchtower with clock, and a bit of the ocean. Cristian was very detailed in showing us how the door lock and window worked, showed us the terrace, gave us a cell phone to call him if necessary and introduced us to the main street highlights. The Blue Marlin is a great place to get morning coffee and breakfast. There is no WiFI at La Marina Rooms and Cristian got quite defensive when we asked him about it ("What are you here for, WiFI or the scenery?, etc. etc.). We were fine without the WiFI; we were just asking. You can get WiFI in a few of the restaurants (but you do need to buy something in the restaurant...). Cristian was again very helpful with which trains to take to Lake Como when we were leaving. Again, there were over 80 stairs to La Marina Rooms, some quite steep, so take that into consideration. I quite liked the exercise!

Room Tip: Room #1 was fine - if you want a private space on the terrace, then I think you have to reserve an a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anne W
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in August. Christian met us at the train station, showed us our way to the room and pointed out places to eat, the beach and grocery store in Vernazza. His information was very useful and without his guidance we would have had difficulty finding the place. He is very friendly and their was a phone in the place to reach him at any time. There is a lot of walking and steps to go anywhere in the Cinque Terre, so be prepared. We stayed in the room with a city view, but you could peak and see the ocean. The room was very clean, large, and had a small refrigerator to keep our things for breakfast. We appreciated that the room was cleaned and we got new towels after our first day. The shared terrace had a wonderful view of the sea and we ate a number of meals here. The only negative of this place was that the bed was pretty hard and uncomfortable for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KrisDReed
Fort Bragg, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay here. The owner Christian is friendly and super helpful. He knows everyone in town. As others have noted, he meets you at the train station when you arrive and he also carried some of our luggage to the station when we left. He even reviewed our itinerary to Milan and made the suggestion that we catch an earlier train to make sure we didn't miss a connection if our train was a little late.

The room is near the top of the hill and is a steep climb, but it only takes a minute or two to go up or down to the main street of Vernazza. A small terrace overlooks the Mediterranean and is a lovely spot to just relax. The room decor was knotty pine. Very comfortable and clean. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary C
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in early July and wish we spent the entire vacation here. Christian meets you at the train station and then carries your bags up a ridiculous a,out of steps! The room was bright and clean, everything you need. We had the room with a city view, but you have access to the terrace and we spent the whole time there enjoying wine and looking over the beautiful ocean! Wonderful place, stay here if you can!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Roma, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was met by Christian at the train statione He powerfully carried my baggages up to the room. After he opened me up and after I could relax and enjoy the view of the sea. Once I came down I felt like it was hard to get up again. I was breathless trying to keep up. Thank you Christian for the experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo