“The best of Riomagiorre” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Baia di Rio

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Riomaggiore
La Baia di Rio
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Riomaggiore
Kailua, Hawaii
“The best of Riomagiorre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Beleive all the good reviews, they are true. From Maristella being the perfect host to the fabulous views. We stayed in the Marco Polo suite and if it is available you should too. Our other room was Christopher Columbus and it was great too. We had stayed in Vernazza on another trip but I decided to try La Baia di Rio based on reviews here. I am very glad I did. We drove in and Maristella found us free parking for our large minivan (and drove me back and forth to park it). Honestly, coming home to the Marco Polo suite after a day of adventure is heaven. If you love being outside and patio's with a view, you will love this place. We spent three days and I wish it were many more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank IanFlemingFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March. We had a lovely little room with a terrace that had a view not matched in many other spots on earth. We dream of going back everyday. You will equally love it's owner! She was so friendly. This is something we decided right away, however the last day she proved to us that she was something special. I had a bit of an urgent medical issue and had to go to the hospital. It was 8am, and I was not sure what to do, as there are no public phones in the whole village (including any rented rooms such as ours). In 5 minutes she was at our door. She drove me to the hospital herself, and went in to make sure my bad Italian did not get me stuck. She has since emailed me a couple of times to make sure I am ok. Thanks to her, I am.
Try getting someone from almost any other hotel to do that for you. I dare you. :)
Out of all the reasons to love this place... THIS one is the reason we will be coming back. Thank you so much, for everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy K
Jervis Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights in the Marco Polo suite and it was fabulous! The 'L' shaped balcony had the beat views of the village and of the sea, we made the most of the view by having breakfast outside each morning. It was also a great spot to relax and unwind after a busy day hiking and visiting other villages. We often picked up some take away home made pasta for €5! And enjoyed a bottle of red with the pasta as we watched the sunset from our balcony. Maristella was a great host and nothing was too much trouble. Her recommendations on what to see and do during our stay were spot on! The room is what I would call a studio apartment with a comfy bed, a kitchenette, lounge, TV and dining table and a bathroom. The walk down to the village or the marina is well worth the effort, I looked at other accommodations that I had considered booking and I am so pleased I chose La Baia, it was by far the best place to stay. We loved Riomaggiorre best of all the villages that we visited and it is so easy to get around. Thanks again Maristella for a fabulous holiday, we will be back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen C
Scottsdale, az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Excellent apartment on Via de Gaspari, above Riomaggiore with wonderful host, Maristella. Very clean and comfortable with a great terrace and fabulous views. She even met us at the train station, as we would never had gotten our luggage up the steep hill. Her restaurant reccomendation was spot on for seafood and view. No coffee maker was a odd exclusion, as the terrace would have been perfect for morning coffee.
My wife and I would reccomend Baia to anyone!

Room Tip: Book early as rooms fill up fast!
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here two nights in one of the newer rooms on the bottom floor and it was so small we could barely walk around the bed, not to mention the bathroom where an average size person's knees would hit the wall when sitting on the commode. There was no closet or hooks to hang anything. The TV didn't work. On the plus side, Maristella was very nice and the room was clean with a window view of the sea. Could only get wifi in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Would recommend one of the larger rooms especially if staying more than one night.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wanderer31310
Rancho California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay in Riomaggiore. Emiliano and his Mother, Maristella, make you feel like you've come to visit family! They were extremely helpful and gracious. No need to research what to see or where to eat, because they will provide you with the precise information needed to do what you want in the time you have there.

Keeping in mind that the buildings in Riomaggiore have stood for hundreds of years, Baia di Rio is exceptionally clean, inviting and adapted to today's standards. The view from the Abel Tasman room balcony is irresistible and we found ourselves enjoying is much of the time we were back in the room both day and night!

Room Tip: The Abel Tasman room has views of the sea, the town and the mountins.
Odenton, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights in the James Cook "suite". It was basically a room with a mini kitchen in a closet on the side (sink, two burners, small fridge). The mini kitchen did come in handy because there were storms the one night and we didn't want to trek all the way up and down into town, so we made some pasta for dinner.

The room was basic with all that we needed. The shower was the tiny kind you find on cruise ships. We only had two rolls of toilet paper for three nights and were down to our last square when we left.

The views from the room were wonderful. We mostly had a view of the hill and town. If we looked off to the side, we got a beautiful glimpse of the water. I loved just watching life in the town. I'm so glad we stayed in Riomaggiore rather than the much busier and touristy Monteroso.

The directions to the room weren't as clear as they could have been. We mistakenly went through the tunnel to the right of the train station and ended up taking the long way to the room (steep hill and steps). It would have been clearer if we were told to just proceed straight from the station up the road/hill in front of the station and do not go into the main town through the tunnel. There aren't any stairs in this direction (but the hill is high going up, so be prepared for dragging luggage uphill for 1/4 mile).

The room is really high up in the town. The benefit is the gorgeous view. The bad part is that you have a hike (up hills or stairs) to get there. We tried to do only two trips up a day... one after our day of touring and one after dinner. From the marina (where we had dinner twice), it was about 187 steps to our room.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riomaggiore
Luna di Marzo
#15 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Porto Roca
Hotel Porto Roca
#8 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to La Baia di Rio? Share your experiences!