“A lovely place to honeymoon”

Cinqueterre Residence
Ranked #2 of 32 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
london, England
“A lovely place to honeymoon”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I am going to end up repeating a lot of the other great reviews here, but we really did have a wonderful time. Carla and her husband were fantastic hosts - so friendly and helpful. The residence has a beautiful location up on the hilltop overlooking the town. This means not only gorgeous views, but a real sense of peace and calm. It was a lovely, quiet location for our honeymoon - we were exhausted after an intense month so spent a lot of time resting, and this was a brilliant place to do it! Most of the other guests were couples, many older, and a lot of them walkers, so there was no noisy drinking (not that we noticed this anywhere in Riomaggiore - it's not that sort of place). The residence has a tranquil quality. We loved the breakfasts, and dear Pietro made us a special espresso dople every morning!
As others have said, it's a pretty steep climb from the town, but then the whole of Riomaggiore is hilly. We had one of the superior rooms at the top, and perhaps it's a good idea to request one of these if you want true seclusion.
Beautiful, and we wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
london
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Cinque Terre Residence, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It's ideally located in Riomaggoire for a base to visit the Cinque Terre. Rooms are clean and breakfast was just lovely. There are lots of steps up to the residence, however that is part of being in the Cinque Terre everything is up a hill! We caught the bus on arrival and our bags were brought down in a lift, so not a problem at all.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This is an excellent place to stay in Riomaggiore. We were delighted with our room (Tino - one of the two rooms at the very top of the residence) which was spotlessly clean, decorated in an elegant, modern style and having a large terrace shared with the next room. The views, and particularly sunsets, were fantastic.
There are some minor downsides (nowhere is perfect after all!). We are both pretty fit and regular walkers, even so, the climb from the station to the lower gate is pretty hard going in the sort of hot weather we enjoyed during our stay. The alternative choice is to take the small green bus from the bottom of the main street to the top gate of the residence - much easier on the heart and lungs. Also, we felt that not every apartment was quite so well positioned as the one we were lucky enough to have chosen - in particular the apartments near the lower gate to the property couldn't enjoy such spectacular views and might suffer a bit from a stream of guests entering or leaving via their patio.
All in all though this is a super place to stay, high standard accommodation with friendly and helpful staff and easy access to the glorious Cinque Terre. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have the best views and most private patio space
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Others have covered it pretty well. This is a beautiful property - feels new or newly renovated. Carla was very kind and helpful as we were making arrangements. She provided very detailed walking directions from the train station and we found the place with no problem. Yes it is a walk, but not bad if you have packed light. We were in backpacks for which I was very thankful given all of the steep steps and hills. However there is a shuttle that will drop you directly at the top of the property and then a lift to get your bags down to your room. So, not an issue either way. We had a spacious room with a big bathroom - very clean, open-air feeling. We had a semi-private terrace with chairs and a table - very nice. The air conditioner works well, although ours mysteriously stopped working on our last night there. Luckily we were cool enough without it for one night. The mosquitos were bad so you don't want to have to sleep with the windows open. Breakfast was great - good cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, bread, cheese, cold cuts, brewed coffee (though they will make cappuccino, latte, etc. on request), and juice. I would love to come back to the Cinque Terre and, while I will probably look for a place to stay on the water, I would definitely stay at the Cinque Terre Residence again. It is an excellent accommodation and service for the price.

Room Tip: The Riomaggiore room is very nice - a spacious room and big bathroom, nice terrace. There was some...
Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I don't have much to add to the other positive reviews of Cinqueterre Residence. The owners were very friendly, the room was bright, large, and had a great air conditioner, and we enjoyed our stay.

We walked from the train station and had no problem finding the hotel. I suggest you contact the hotel through their website (http://www.cinqueterreresidence.it) and they will send you detailed directions. It is a ~10 minute uphill walk from the station, but that's nothing compared to some of the cliff paths!

Room Tip: Contact the hotel through their website (http://www.cinqueterreresidence.it) if you want to get a ro...
1 Thank wilrf
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We spent the first 5 days of our honeymoon at Cinqueterre Residence (CR). We initially planned 4 nights but when arrived asked for extension as we loved it so much! We stayed in one of the more recently built superior double rooms with the very large terrace shared with another room. The location is great - beautiful views of the hills and a little bit of the sea. Wonderful for watching sunsets with a glass of wine. It is an uphill walk with some steps, but it was okay for us to do this once or twice a day (and we arrived by taking the local bus from the town centre to the upper gate of CR).The room and the bathroom were VERY spacious, nicely&simply decorated, with good quality bathroom fixtures, and absolutely spotless. Loads of light, well-functioning AC, good wifi connection.
Overall the property is beautiful and well-maintained with beautiful flowerbeds, terraces, etc.
Carla and Piero were wonderful hosts, very kind and welcoming. Piero serves delicious brekfasts - the best ones we had in Italy, with lots of fresh fruit, freshly made capuccino/espresso and melting-in-your-mouth fresh pastries. Carla gave advice and instructions and lots of useful information. It was a perfect start for our honeymoon and overall, there was nothing I would have changed.
Cinque Terre itself is wonderful as you can combine hill-walking with the beach and sighseeing and you can use public transport all the time. Riomaggiore and Vernazza are, in my view, the two most beautiful places to stay. I usually do not travel twice to the same places (apart from some cities) but in this case I am already lobbying a week in Cinque Terre for next year; and if we go I can only hope that Carla will have a room available

1 Thank EllaMLondon
Vancouver, BC Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

By happenstance I stayed in Riomaggiore the Cinque Terre Residence. Online it looked isolated, way up a hillside from town. I was training for a 100 km trek the next week, so I welcomed slopes and steps.

The local bus wound its way up the hill and dropped me right at the door. Easy! Carla, one of the family owners, greeted me warmly and got my suitcase down to my room. Lots of colourful flowers grew in gardens and pots on terraces. What a pretty spot!

My heart leapt with joy when I saw my private patio with table and chairs and a gorgeous view of the hills and town! My spacious, simple single room had more amenities than I expected: a safe, a fridge stocked with cold drinks, great shower and wi-fi. Later my iPad worked instantly on my patio.

In their breakfast room Carla sat me down for a Cinque Terre orientation. I told her I’d been going there since 1979. She gave me printed current train, boat and bus schedules, and two maps of the coast and its trails.

The path from Manarola to Corniglia had closed due to a landslide. She described in detail a long detour path above Manarola, up the hills to Volastra and down to Corniglia. She told me their wi-fi password, advising it worked best outside. She recommended a great restaurant nearby and told me where the short cut staircase led from the B&B to town. Very useful information that made my Cinque Terre sojourn much smoother. A lovely welcome!

On my way to breakfast, I’d stop to smell the gardenia flowers—sweet and pungent! The breakfast buffet table was loaded with high quality fare: luscious peaches, other fresh fruit, yoghurts, healthy cereals, fresh croissants, cheese and ham. A top notch, freshly made caffe latte topped it all off. A wonderful way to start a Cinque Terre day!

A series of short staircases got me up and down to/from B&B and town in about 10 minutes. You need to be in reasonable shape to climb up these steps. The bus never seemed to run when I wanted it, so I used the steps a lot.

The Cinque Terre Residence inspired me as a business. In a very beautiful but slightly out of the way location, it provides more hospitality, service and amenities that you’d expect for its type. All these extras more than make up for the steps and slopes and put it far above its competition. For me, it’s the best B&B in Cinque Terre!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank margaretcowan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riomaggiore
Locanda del Sole
#1 of 7 in Porto Venere
Hotel Porto Roca
Hotel Porto Roca
#8 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Cinqueterre Residence? Share your experiences!