La Scogliera
Locanda del Sole(Riomaggiore)
$156
Locanda Ca da Iride(Riomaggiore)(Great Value!)
$201
$173
$168
Travelocity
NiRia(Riomaggiore)
La Baia di Rio(Riomaggiore)
Sol Levante(Riomaggiore)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
Luna di Marzo(Riomaggiore)
Due Gemelli(Riomaggiore)
Affittacamere Edi(Riomaggiore)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscannolihome madethe ownercinque terretrain stationsteep stepshomemade limoncinocomplimentary bottleamazing apartmenttravel lightkitchen tableincredible locationolive oilplace to stayhis brotherclean apartmentgreat base to explore
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Spectacular view from our apartment balcony. Our apartment was cosy and had everything we needed. Very warm hosts. Pampered us with very good home made wine and delicious custard pastries. Very lovely people and such a delight to deal with.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank WorldTravellerSg
Reviewed November 13, 2013

After a five night stay in the middle of Rome and a 5 hour train ride on a Regionale train after waking before dawn in Rome, I arrived at the door of the apartment. I was helped up the steps with my heavy suitcase by a handsome young stranger who happened by. After pounding on the door given to me in an email set of directions for several minutes and getting no response I almost gave up and left to take the offer of a room by a middle aged lady in a housedress who approached me at the train station. Just as I felt tears of frustration and exhaustion welling up in my eyes out poked Mama's head from the shuttered window above me. Not a word of English was spoken by her, but she communicated to me that she did not hear me because her TV was too loud. A few minutes later she appeared at her door with the keys asking my name. She handed me the keys and and in I went. When I opened the balcony doors it was all worth it. The stunning view to the sea made me feel like I was on the sea. There were no sounds but for the seagulls who seemed to be following me from Rome. They were especially loud in Rome this year, but here in Riomaggiore their noise was dampened by the sound of the sea below. I spend four nights in that wonderful apartment rising before dawn, drinking strong expresso I made on the stove before hiking through the vineyards with their empty vines having been harvested in September and through the olive trees heavy with small black olives that fell off and dotted the hiking paths. All I needed was a water bottle, a camera and a couple of Euro for a snack along the way. The trails were surprisingly uncrowded compared to my last visit in June. I really do recommend going in a shoulder season if you want to hike.
There is a coop and several small grocery stores in Riomaggiore and you can get anything you need there. I ate a "fish cone"(two thumbs up) twice and got pasta take out twice (two thumbs up), both in shops in Riomaggiore. There are lovely restaurants there too, but after hiking all day, I just wanted to shower and eat on my balcony which was wonderful.
I felt like I met the whole family during my stay. Boy, did I get goodies too. Limoncela, a tray of home made cream cornettos (pastries) and a bottle of home made red wine. Everything was delicious and I guiltily ate all the pastries before I left. I think there were 12 of them. I saved the wine and drank it in my next stop, Milan. Thank you Paulo. Everything was delicious.
There were several nighttime thunderstorms when I was there. The last one blew out the TV reception in the whole village, but the wifi was fine and fast with no problem.
The kitchen was well equipped. There was all you needed to cook and coffee, tea, olive oil and basic condiments were provided. The bed was large and comfortable. It was spotlessly clean. I had no issues with the bathroom which also shared the same views as the bedroom window, out to sea.
Two years ago I stayed in Vernazza, but it was way too overtouristed and impersonal. i preferred the smallish, more quiet Riomaggiore.
I have a reservation for September of next year hoping to get there before the grape harvest. I am looking forward to days of hiking and coming home to a salty fried fish cone with a cold Moretti beer while sitting on my balcony enjoying the sunset in this most special of places.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
16  Thank sfjam
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is my 2nd night staying at this room with my bf. :) My friend had stayed here before earlier in August and had strongly recommended this accom to us. Never for a moment regretted this decision to stay here. You can tell people you have stayed in Riomaggiore only if u have stayed here before, the sound of waves crashing on the rocks just below your room, the calling of seagulls as they cruised in the sky just outside your window and the sea breeze blowing into your room.. It's simply a heaven. :)

Room is very comfortable and clean, with safe, espresso/coffee machine, basic cutlery and fridge provided. The best part is the hospitality of the hosts! :) Paolo and Davide were working in their apartment when we reached the place and came out to welcome us when the mom called out to them from upstairs. Just a note that the mom can't speak English at all, but no problem in getting out message through. We were presented with their self made limoncino. So sweet of them. Paulo excused himself while Davide was explaining to us abt the room and he re appeared with a tray of self made cannolis!!! Very yummy!

Location is around 8 mins from the station. But be warned of the numerous steep stairs leading up to the room. Either bring a small luggage or have someone strong with you to carry the luggages up. ;) But these steps are definitely worth it. When we entered our room, the first thing that greeted our eyes when Paolo opened the window was the sight of the sun setting right in front of our window. Gorgeous! :) Best accom I had so far! Definitely would stay here again if I ever come back and would strongly recommend my friends to stay here too!! :)

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Weizhen C
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I booked La Scogliera for four nights in late September, and were delighted we did. La Scogliera isn’t big, but it is clean, comfortable and well-located, and the views from the small balcony are spectacular. Every day, after wandering through the other towns in Cinque Terre – all of them crowded with tourists – we were delighted to return to Rio Maggiore and our peaceful, restful accommodations.

La Scogliera succeeds largely because of the family that runs it. Our host, Paolo, is charming and a great chef. His nephew Davide met us at the apartment when we arrived with a lovely gift of home-made limoncello made from their own lemons! Later that first evening Paolo stopped by to introduce himself and delighted us once again with six cannolis he had prepared, the best we’ve ever tasted. When we had finished the limoncello, Paolo brought us another bottle!

Davide also introduced us to his father. We met Paolo’s mother the evening we arrived. The family made sure we knew that they were always available to us if we had questions or needed help.

On our last evening, Davide offered to carry our bags down to the train tunnel. We accepted, gratefully, and he showed up promptly the following morning.

One cautionary note: You’ll be carrying your wheeled bags up dozens of steps to reach La Scogliera. But it’s well worth it. Just pack lightly. Or rap on Paulo’s door above the apartment, and either he or Davide will gladly carry your bags up for you. And they won’t expect (or accept) a tip!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JerryandJanetVA
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The views were well worth the 60+ steps we had to carry our luggage up and down to get there. (You can also hire someone for a few euro to carry them for you.)

All the famous photos of the marina in beautiful Riomaggiore show this room! Right above the large rock formation to the left.

There are 2 options from Paolo and his family (he mentioned a third with a large terrace may be available next year which is right above where we stayed) the first is an apartment with a small Juliet balcony. The second is a room with windows that open over the marina and ocean. Both are within $25 euro/night so if the apartment with the balcony is available, choose that one. It was not available for us but the room was just as impressive. Modern and updated. Only complaint was the steps to get there (be prepared to climb stairs all over the five "cinque terre" towns) and the small shower stall. Other than that our stay was fabulous.

We were instructed to get the key from "momma" who lives upstairs in the same building. She does not speak English but we got through with a lot of smiles and hand gestures. Waiting in the room for us was home made limoncello from the lemons Paolo grows. The views were breathtaking and we were just steps from the ocean where I sat on the rocks in the morning and enjoyed my coffee. The first night Paolo came by to introduce himself and brought us home made cannolis and a bottle of his red wine from grapes grown in the region. Paolo does not speak English well but his charm is infectious and we liked him immediately. He recommended we eat at a sea side restaurant in the Marina where the food was excellent.

We really liked Riomaggiore which is smaller than the more popular Vernazza and Monterosso Al Mare. All 5 cities are easily accessible by the train that is a 5 minute walk from anywhere in town and just a short 10 minute train ride north.

Out if all 5 cities we visited in our 10 day Italian vacation (Venice, Vicenza, Rome, Florence) Riomaggiore and the Cinque Terre region were our favorite!

Room Tip: Go for the apartment if it is available.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple