“Exceptional!”
Review of NiRia

NiRia
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Riomaggiore
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised from the very start. We arrived at midnight by train and were picked up near the station and shown our room. Decorated in a contemporary style and very comfortable in every way. Breakfast of coffee, tea, pastries and yogurt was served on the patio with an amazing sea view. We were even given a little bag for leftovers. The hosts made us feel like family. Cinque Terre was so amazing we would have loved to stay for several more days. Great value!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Quiet location in a tiny village 10 minutes by shuttle above the town of Manarola. Shuttle runs about every hour. The breakfast was huge, and our caring and accommodating hosts made everything very pleasant. Nice backyard area to sit and enjoy being outdoors. The room was simple but very lean and pleasant. Very nice, modern bathroom. We had a great hike from Volastra to the village of Corniglia.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed three nights at Niria wanting a relaxing, peaceful setting and couldn't have asked for more. The B&B is located away from the main villages but they are easily reachable by bus, train or on one of the many stunning walking trails. We were thoroughly looked after and spent the days exploring the villages, and evenings eating in the local restaurants minutes from Niria. Thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emily B
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed there last year with my friends and had an awesome time, especially the breakfast. The host are very nice and warm people and its a family run guesthouse sorts.. we loved it when the lady used to pack picnics for us for the treks. Its an ideal place to stay if you are visiting Cinque Terre and doing the 5 village trails! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed 4 nights. Beautiful view of the ocean and extremely helpful and kind staff/family. Room was clean and comfortable. It's in Volastra which is a 10 minute bus ride up from Manarola.
They serve breakfast every morning and let you take the leftovers with you for lunch! Solid breakfast but you get sick of bread pretty fast :). Luckily they have cereal and other choices.

Something to keep in mind is that the bus from Manarola to Volastra stops at 19:45, so if you plan on staying out in the five villages later than that, prepare for a 35 - 45 minute uphill hike from the Manarola train station. It's a nice, straightforward trail (beautiful during the day) so I don't consider this a con.

Overall, absolutely loved the trip and will definitely stay there again if we come back to Cinque Terre!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Graeme B
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Staying here was a wonderfully relaxing beginning to my 12-day trip to Italy. I stayed at NiRia for three nights. The room was very nice, the bed was comfortable, there was a kitchen for common use, the room had air conditioning, there was free WiFi, and it is very quiet. What makes NiRia exceptional, however, is the kind family that runs it. I truly felt like I was being taken care of. When I arrived in the evening after the buses had quit running, Mattia picked me up at parking area in Manarola. He even offered to pick me up later if I wanted to stop at a restaurant and have dinner first. The breakfast was served by the garden, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea - with plentiful rolls, fresh baked goods, yogurt, and cappuccino, refilled upon request. Each morning, I was offered a plastic bag to take whatever I had not eaten on my hikes. The first night I returned from hiking, the family appeared very concerned when they saw I was limping slightly (my form wasn't so good the first day of hiking, but improved the second day). The second evening, after I came back from dinner, and they saw me sitting by the garden, watching the sunset and the Sea, they brought me cappuccino and a limoncello. To top everything off, on the morning I was leaving, I started to pay the bill, and the family insisted I pay a slightly lower rate than what I was anticipating, so that was a very nice surprise. Other reviews have mentioned a bit of a damp smell in the room - I noticed this at first (but got used to it quickly), and it wasn't a big deal for me, because everything else positive outweighed the experience to such a degree. I was able to hike between most of the larger towns; there also are nice hiking trails through Volastra, including the panoramic trail (6p) to Manarola that was very convenient. There also are a couple of local family run restaurants in Volastra that I tried. In Volastra, you are a bit removed (higher up the mountain) from some of the busier towns of Cinque Terre, but its close enough to be convenient, and of course, its very relaxing. If I travel back to Italy, and I suspect I will, this will be one of the places I make sure that I re-visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank bartok1
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband, adult daughter and her husband rented two rooms here in July. Exceptionally clean, beautifully hosted, and a view for a postcard. There was a terrace breakfast and we had a spot of limoncello before bedtime. We recommend highly and we're fussy people!

Room Tip: All rooms have their own baths and air conditioning. Two have large windows to the outside.