“late lunch - so good we went back again”
Review of IL Grottino

IL Grottino
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Riomaggiore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2014

great friendly staff and delicious local food - make sure to try different things
very good house red wine - so the cost ofthe meal was very affordable.

1  Thank loyahayes
There are newer reviews for IL Grottino

Reviewed April 29, 2014

My friends and I wanted to have dinner at this restaurant, but when we stepped in, the server/manager looked at us and immediately told us that there was no space for a group of 7 of us and that we should head to the restaurant beside his for similar food. We clearly saw 7 empty seats in front of us. When we kindly asked to be seated in 4-3 arrangement and pointed to the empty seats, he didn't look happy at all but obliged. When we were about to order our food, one of my friends wanted to order a dessert but was told off by the same server that "This is a restaurant and if we wanted desserts we should get out and go elsewhere." He was extremely rude and arrogant, gesturing wildly at us. We decided to leave as it was unpleasant. To make it worse, he slammed the door shut just as we walked out. A terrible experience and real pity we didn't get to try the food, but the server's manners were clearly lacking.

2  Thank Lwy18
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I had limited expectations of any restaurant in this very touristy town. I was truly pleasantly surprised by my dinner at il grottino. We had the menu del journo, EUR 18 for two courses. The starter was a huge plate of fresh, perfectly cooked calamari and chips, followed by a pasta main course.

The food was the best I've eaten in Italy and it was in a tourist restaurant - so rare.

Great service too. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Korshka
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We have spent two days in Riomaggiore. We had dinner at "Il Grottino" twice.
First night we had pasta al pesto and fried fish. It all was quite good so we thought that it would be a good place for more "risky" choices and we decided to repeat.
The second dinner was awful... we ordered "higher quality" choices, 2 local special dishes: seafood soup and prawns and shrimps in tomato sauce. The quality of the seafood in the soup wasn't as expected (razor clams were chewie and dry, mussels and clams were tiny and no taste). Even though the worse was yet to come with the last dish... Shrimps were dry and smelly like NO FRESH. We informed the waitress about it and the man in charge of the restaurant (maybe the owner) came to our table shouting that he was going to charge everything with really bad manners and suggesting that we couldn't appreciate the good seafood... We stopped the conversation at that point, we just paid and left the place.

2  Thank Marta_Corsan
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The food and the service were absolutely spectacular! The proximity from my hotel was wonderful as well, as I stayed at the Vento di Mare--just a short walk from this restaurant. Would highly recommend!!

Thank P.J. R