“Excellent food, small portions”
Review of Ripa del Sole

Ripa del Sole
Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Riomaggiore
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Enjoyed dining outside on the patio. Finer cuisine in comparison to the Main Street through Riomaggiore but wasn't quite filling enough for my fiancé. I enjoyed the ravioli sutured with spinach and ricotta and he loved his shrimp dish.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our family (of 5) wanted a special meal out in Riomaggiore before we headed out after 4 days in the town and found this restaurant recommended on Trip Advisor. Within walking distance of our apartment (but then everything is in Riomaggiore as its so small). We made a reservation and glad we had done as they filled up quickly. The staff were great as it started to rain once we were seated outside and they moved the tables around to accomodate everyone and keep us all dry. The meal was great, not cheap, but we forgot the cost. The view of the town is brilliant and just a happy, fun vibe and good for families and couples alike. Thank you for a memorable time out which became one of the highlights of our overseas trip to Europe and in particular Italy.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Ripa del Sole was recommended to us by the owner of the place we were staying in. It is located at the top of the village, near the church. The food was outstanding and the view was spectacular. The appetizer we had was a dish of sardines with caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar. The pasta with sea urchin and spaghetti with clams were delicious. The second course, a baked, local fish and the shrimp and prawns were clearly caught that day. Dessert was a simple semifreddo with fruit and the local sweet dessert wine, called sciacchetra, was superb. It was truly an authentic Ligurian mean – We highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Disclaimer: I've been living in Italy for a month now, and I've been eating in restaurants here in Cinque Terre for 2 days now.

All of that being said, this was overall a horrible experience. My party of 5 came here based on the TripAdvisor reviews, but apparently none of them mentioned that this is the slowest restaurant in the world. There is one waitress. We waited over an hour and a half for our first course, and then after that another hour for our main course. As I've said, I understand that Italians take their time with their dining, but let assure you that this goes beyond cultural misunderstandings. This is simply a restaurant with horrible, terrible, miserable service.

Not only did our food take an eternity by any standard, but the portions were small and the food was cold. My mussels were cold, and when I told the wife of the owner she picked out a warm one out of the bowl of cold mussels and told me that they weren't. No apology, just attitude. By the way, they were. My rabbit was pretty good, and my friends enjoyed their fish, but any goodwill this restaurant would earn with their food is completely negated by the ridiculous wait and the poor service. Let me mention that the service charge here is quite expensive, 3 euro a person, and that after giving us 4 pieces of bread they informed us that they didn't have anymore.

I assure you reader, this restaurant is absolutely not worth your time. There are plenty of great places in Riomaggiore, this is just not one of them.

1  Thank andyandrew123
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Fabulous from start to finish. Local fish capaccio to start, delish. Ricotta and spinach ravioli as our primo then catch of the day large fish baked perfectly, melted on the tongue, one of the best fish I'have ever eaten. Zesty Riomaggiore white wine to wash it down then the famous desert wine and chocolate cake to top it all off. Just the authentic experience we were looking for, which is not so easy to find in 5 terre. Excellent service, lovely views. Great!