“Wonderful food at most reasonable price”
Review of La Lanterna - CLOSED

La Lanterna
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Almost scared off by the inaccurate (way too high) estimate of the prices charged shown on this site, we tried it anyway.
We ate here first for a pranzo (main meal of the day). My wife and I shared a mussel soup that was simply extraordinary. We followed that with spaghetti with mussels (me) and pesto gnoche (my wife).
I thought my dish to be very, very good and my wife is still raving about the gnoche. In her opinion, it was dramatically better than that served at the competitors.
Prices were remarkably low given the quality of the food and the location of the restaurant (near the old harbor).
The only drawback is the lack of a "classy" atmosphere. Setting is just fine, but plain and functional, not trying to impress with the setting ~ just the food and the value and the service.

HIGHLY recommend.

Oh, yes, they accept credit cards (which many do not).

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We liked La Lanterna because food was excellent, service was fluent, menu was clear, prices were not too high and views were beautiful. I recommend this restaurant for everybody, who visit Riomaggiore.

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We dined here based on travel book and personal recommendations. It was a good meal. A bit chilly outside, though. I enjoyed my house pasta with porcini thoroughly. Very strong flavors. Fine meal.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

There's nothing especially wrong about this place - we felt it lacked atmosphere and the service was efficient but not particularly hospitable. The food was OK, nothing we would recommend though. If you are staying in Riomaggiore then try other places first.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had an excellent meal here: a giant grilled cuttlefish with chopped basil served on a bed of arugula and spaghetti with clams, clams, clams (at least 40 of them), home made bread (semolina?) and local wine and it was delightful except for the American tourists who wanted vodka and tonic, dessert wines as an aperitif, rum and coke etc. They had studied their Italian accents but not Italian customs and couldn't manage to talk quietly about the lack of ice, etc. OK, there's no ice. I don't like that one bit but there just isn't. And then there was another couple with 2 children they allowed to whine and cry through an entire meal. The restaurant was as disturbed as we were. Please, go for the food and try to avoid the crowds or be the last people seated so you can assess the situation.