Super clean. In-room internet, but it's REALLY slow, so don't plan on uploading a lot of pics to Facebook. Our room was large, perhaps the largest of all our vacation rooms so far, with TWO balconies overlooking a lovely tomato garden. Seriously, it was lovely and really cool. There was air conditioning and it was loud and you will be glad because the hotel is old and creaky and thumpy, even though it's been redone very nicely, you can hear the neighbor above you move a chair, so loud ambient noise AC was very welcome, not to mention it was HOT there!
Let's talk about about parking. It SUCKS. That a word I reserve for when things are quite bad. So here's my $1 Million dollar tip for check in: Ignore your navi that tells you it's a restricted area and drive down that narrow street and pull over to the left just before the arch. You will see the yellow part of the hotel (it's in two parts, yellow and terra cotta colored). Take out your luggage, but have someone stay with the car in case they need to move it so you don't get a ticket. Check in, move luggage to you room, then drive back up the hill and on the right you'll see a parking structure. You probably won't see it on your way in cuz you've been driving that twisty road for the last 30 minutes and you just want to stop and have a beer or a glass of wine! So there's your structure on the right. If no one is waiting for a parking place at a red light at the parking structure (which means it's full), pull up and wait for someone to leave so you get a covered space. It's 18 EUROs a day...really! But once you garner your precious space, you don't have to move your car until you leave the town. Walk, use the trains...don't give up your space! Another parking tip...arrive REALLY early in the day or REALLY late in the day. Beach traffic is a little crazy. Once you're there, it really great, so just put up with the crap for a bit and drink and eat your cares away after that.
Breakfast, which is included, is totally delicious.
Another tip...just up the street from the hotel is a market called Crai Crai. Cheap beers to take back to the room. Get some meats and cheeses and bread and eat on the balcony for about 12 euros (not including booze) Everyone speaks English, so no worries.
ANOTHER tip for train travel. Don't mess with those HORRIBLE ticket machines. Just walk to the window with a person, tell them "two tickets to Vernazza" or whatever, and be done in two minutes. The machine are the devil's work! Also, make sure you get on the right train. Our four-minute ride turned into a two-hour ride cuz we took the wrong train cuz one was late, but one was on time and bla bla bla. They're not as efficient as Germany...just saying.
Hope this was helpful. I read a lot of TripAdvisor reviews before our vacation and they were very helpful to me in making decisions. Just paying it back! Happy Travels!! xoxo
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Margherita is at your disposal to make your stay pleasant and relaxing, in a tasteful and comfortable environment. Located in the center of the historic town of Monterosso, we are just a few steps from the beaches, touristic port, trails, local shops and many restaurants to choose from. Our courteous Reception and Management staff, are always at your disposal to provide you with all the information needed for the famous hiking trails, tours by boat and train transportation within the park of the Cinque Terre. After the mudslide that hit Monterosso in October 2011, the hotel has been completely renovated. The hotel has a common living area with free Wi-Fi, satellite tv, bar and private patio that looks out onto the old fascinating town of Monterosso. In the morning you can enjoy a delicious breakfast in our inviting breakfast room, where you can find a wide variety of choices from our breakfast buffet.All of our rooms are equipped with air-conditioning, satellite tv, telephone, Wi-Fi access, mini fridge and safe. All rooms have private bathrooms with a shower and hair dryer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Margherita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Margherita Hotel Monterosso Al Mare
- Hotel Margherita Monterosso Al Mare, Cinque Terre, Italy