“A Memorable Experience”
Review of La Casa Dei Limoni

La Casa Dei Limoni
Reviewed September 22, 2011

La Casa dei Limoni is not ony a lovely place to stay but the service is excellent. Homemade lemon pastries start your morning breakfast. We enjoyed the view from the terrace of the ocean and lemon grove. The rooms are very well appointed. Valentina is a wonderful hostess. She even made lunches for us both on our departure. Unfortunately Limoni is a long way up the hill. We stayed here the beginning of September when it was very hot. The climb up the hill was difficult in the heat after a long day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: The room off the reception area can be a little noisey. But we were happy with the room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandi K

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Does it have steps, absolutely. But people in way better shape than I at 67 , gladly took our bags to our room upon arrival and took them down the hill when we departed. refused tips and were thrilled to do it. No hot water from 1:30 am until 3:00 am, come on who takes a shower at that hour anyway. Plan your live a little it is vacation. i am 67 with artifical knee joints I made three round trips a day up the steps for three days and survived, plus the view is so worth it. Lemonade and snacks upon arrival to appertifs in the lemon grove were perfect. Very nice breakfast with a view.
Staff could not have been more accomodating and friendly . Love it

Room Tip: Rooms are very modern and spotless
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Ron R
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This sure is a lovely little place, with the view as the reward after hiking to get there. And yeah, we knew about the steps. However, after spending the day hiking in Cinque Terre villages, having dinner, drinking a few cocktails in bars - taking the steps to get to your hotel - I'd say it gets too much. Also, the hot shower gets turned off after 12mn! Imagine getting back from a long day out and you have a shower at midnight, and there's no hot shower?! No reception after 10pm, so there.

Anyway, this is an ok place. The limoni drink as a welcome drink was nice and we needed that after that first hike to get there! And maybe, its just me and my partner that happened to have showers so late at night (cos we get back so late to the hotel as we stay on the beach area for dinner and gelati and cocktail and for long walks on the beach) as I dont think there were other guests who have asked about it except me on the 3rd morning of our stay during breakfast (as i thought the first night that the hot shower didn't work was just an accident but its the same case again as the second night). There was 1 night when our TV went off as well, just lost all the channels. My partner and I just had to laugh - we paid 180 Euros per night (AU$240) and there's no hot shower and nothing on telly after midnight . Lol!

I loved Cinque Terre and will be back for sure(3 nights is too short!) but not going back to this hotel again. Definitely.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twylamc
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel as a part of our honeymoon. It´s lovely situated surrounded with lemon trees and a view of the ocean. There is a garage close to the hotel and they will help you take your bags up the steep path to the hotel, just call! So friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast was not the regular breakfast and we appreciated it.
The only thing we can complain a little about is that the bathroom could have been cleaned a bit more thorough but I know how hard it is during high season to keep the high standard that hotels usually do. We absolutely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2011

There is plenty of beautiful treks throughout Cinque Terra. That's why it is unnecessary to have one of the treks be to reach your hotel. I read the website and was aware of the steps, and I made sure to ask and inform the hotel in several emails that I was traveling with a suitcase and that I would need help. When I did arrive with no help around, I panicked. Later they told me I had to call them rather than send an email because maybe the connection was not working? All I can say is if you have even a medium sized bag, not only is the hike up difficult, it is dangerous and slippery. Not to mention the major construction site that blocks your view looking down to the water. Every customer who I happened to watch arrive had the same reaction. No one there to help them with their bags and they could not believe the climb up to the hotel. My room was the worst in the hotel, right off the main entrance and the windows for my view was the breakfast seating so I had no privacy. Very expensive for little service and an inconvenient location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank JenniferNYCThailand
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We had read the reviews about the non-working air conditioning and steep climb, but decided to tough it out anyways... to our regret. The steps would have been fine to climb two to four times a day without luggage, but with luggage they were like a fitness boot camp, requiring us to change sweat-drenched clothes afterwards. And even though we asked for an air-conditioned room before arriving, we were told when we got there the air conditioning doesn't come on until June 1st.

They did, however, have a fan in the room, which unfortunately barely worked at all the first night, then died the next day for the remainder of our stay. We left messages with management to replace or fix the fan but they didn't reply nor was it mentioned at check-out. This made our stay there pretty uncomfortable, and we learned from fellow travelers that other hotels and BnB's all had air conditioning.

The hotel claims refrigerators in the rooms, ours had none.

The hotel claims to have wifi, but it only works in the lobby (they tell you this upon arrival), and they turn it off at 930pm.

The upside is the location has great views, friendly management, and nice breakfasts, but I'd prefer an air-conditioned room when visiting a city in high, hot season.

Room Tip: For hikers and fit travelers only!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SardarG
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Staying at La Casa Dei Limoni is about travelling, not tourism. If you need taxis and a bus to take you to the door look elsewhere. If travelling is looking for the next adventure, this is the place for you.

I'm 60, my wife and I were hauling heavy backpacks, daypacks, and a ski bag. We walked into Old Town and heard the school kids singing in the square and the local band playing - celebrating 150 years of Italian unity. We headed up the street, and yes, up the steps. We were met almost at the top by Valentina coming out of the lemon grove. She escorted us up the remaining steps to the hotel.

She squeezed fresh lemons for our welcoming lemonades, and served us lemon cake just out of the oven. We too stayed in the room just off the lobby and we loved it. We spent little time in our room because there is so much to see and do, but Valentina and Massimo are the reason we enjoy staying in small "mom and pop" places. Genuine, caring people who work hard to make your stay an enjoyable one. Bonissimo and thank you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple