“Okay for an old town but a little pricy”
Review of Hotel Villa Steno

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Villa Steno
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The other reviewers describe the hotel well enough. One thing you have to understand about all the villages of the Cinque Terra is that they are very old and built into the very limited available space. Many, if not all, of the hotels were once private villas and have been converted. That would explain why the bathrooms are are small and 'tacked on'. Ours was so small you had to step over the toilet pan to get into the shower. The towels were as the last reviewer described, like Egyptian cotton tea towels! The village is crowded and noisy but that's half the fun of the place. The pedestrian entrance to the hotel is up a steep staircase well up above the 'main' street of the village and it is a long way from the rail station but for us it was perfect as I was able to drive my rental car right up to the front door and left it there for the three days we were there.

On the first afternoon as I stood on the balcony of my room and listened to the raised voices in the street, the brushcutters, the Vespas belting up and down the street, the radios blaring, babies crying, hammer drills in the hotel being renovated over the road, I wondered about the wisdom of choosing this place. But by nightfall it was all quite and after an excellent meal at a restaurant on the beach (the one with the dolphin painted on the wall in the northern half of the town) which was excellent, I changed my mind.

If I have any serious criticism it's the tariff. We paid Euro120 per night B & B and even by European standards, for the standard of room we had it was high. The service was good, breakfast was fine and the internet access (in the lobby) was free.

One thing about the Cinque Terra - you'll definitely tone up those calf muscles during your stay!

8  Thank Larts

Reviewed June 29, 2006

Here's the deal.
I am not a picky person when it comes to accomodations. I have had enough experience with everything from 5 star hotels to campgrounds to know what is adequate for the price and have to say Villa Steno would be a FABULOUS place to stay...for around 75Eu. For much more than that, it is simply not worth it when you consider the many, cheaper alternatives you have in the Cinque.
The good points:
-Great view!
-Friendly staff- always accommodating.
-You exit the hotel via a lovely garden (and down a steep set of stairs, but that's part of the charm!)
The not-so-good points:
-Furnishings in the rooms were poor quality and the room seemed stark and depressing, not to mention DARK as the only window to the outside is the small balcony door. The bed was not very comfortable and the bed linens were scratchy.
-The location is ok, but most of the restaurants and action to be had in Montorosso is closer to the beach.
-A housekeeper walked in on my husband and I in the morning (approx 9 a.m.). Thankfully we were fully clothed and decent, but she didn't even knock!
-Ok, WHAT IS WITH THE TOWELS????? They were a strange, rough, starched cheesecloth material and were the least absorbant things I have ever used. I may as well have used a paper towel. This is really nitpicky, but for over $150U.S. you would think you would get an actual towel. Perhaps this was an isolated incident and they were just short on real towels during our stay.

As I'm sure rates have inevitably increased since our stay in summer of 2005 (I think we paid 135Eu) there are TONS of other places to stay all over the Cinque that would offer a better value. I personally would recommend La Toretta.

By the way, if you are looking to do laundry someplace on your trip, this is THE PLACE. A load of laundry was somewhere around 10Eu (if memory serves me right) which is a bargain!
Either way, enjoy your trip to the Cinque. It is definitely a fantastic place to visit again and again.
Cheers~